"Alternate Track-A-Train" v2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about 4 PM PST and neither the better nor the Amtrak version is working. Better gives "unknown error" and shows the map with routes but no trains. Amtrak "track a Train" doesn't respond at all. Tried both Firefox and IE.

Curiously, Am Status Map (Dixieland) shows all the trains just fine EXCEPT 14(10). Surely it has left LA by now.
It seems the source TAT data from Amtrak had an outage from about 6:15 to 7PM EST. Both TAT sites load for me now.

(added timezone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes

Just about 4 PM PST and neither the better nor the Amtrak version is working. Better gives "unknown error" and shows the map with routes but no trains. Amtrak "track a Train" doesn't respond at all. Tried both Firefox and IE.

Curiously, Am Status Map (Dixieland) shows all the trains just fine EXCEPT 14(10). Surely it has left LA by now.
It seems the source TAT data from Amtrak had an outage from about 6:15 to 7PM EST. Both TAT sites load for me now.

(added timezone)
Makes sense. Everything seems to be working now.

Thanks, everyone. As of 8 PM, everything is working again.

Try to go here. At the top of the page is a blue circle with a white arrow in it. Click on it. It should bring up the Better Track-A-Train with the map partially zoomed into 14(10). Did that work?

jb
Actually, this is the way I have been linking to the "better" tracking map. As of 8 PM central time, it is working again. I do appreciate your help. I also use Railsteam to view the MH Tower Cam in Chicago and use the tracking maps to check out when to expect the trains I track 58, 59, the Illini and Saluki, as well as 5,6,and 3,4 as these the trains that pass by MH Tower in addition to all the Metra Trains. Railstream is a paid site but worth it for this land locked guy in Nashville, TN.

Three changes:

• Fixed a bug whereby the sorting of stations didn't take the time zone into account (thanks to whomever emailed this one to me!)
  • Extremely late trains (1hr Acela, 3hr LD) are now white-on-black.
  • The click-to-update functionality has been restored, but it's just checking for the latest version in my cache not on Amtrak's site, so if you click it less than two minutes apart it might not show an update time change.
I'm open to input on what the "extremely late" threshold should be, as 3hr LD seems a little too small - but do note that it needs to be a multiple of the threshold, so it's going to be of the form (X Acela, 3X LD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back