alcohol transport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
I heard that any alcohol that is to be consumed on the train must be bought on the train, but I was wondering is it possible to essentially bring it along with me on my trip, and not open it until I reach my destination? The only reason I ask is sales tax is cheaper in Michigan than Arizona (where I'm going) and so if I can save money by buying it here then great, but if that's against the rules I won't waste my money.

I heard that any alcohol that is to be consumed on the train must be bought on the train, but I was wondering is it possible to essentially bring it along with me on my trip, and not open it until I reach my destination? The only reason I ask is sales tax is cheaper in Michigan than Arizona (where I'm going) and so if I can save money by buying it here then great, but if that's against the rules I won't waste my money.
:hi: If you are in a sleeper you are allowed to bring/consume your personal supply of alcohol in your room, but not in the lounge car or diner nor in Coach! Carrying unopened alcohol (if you're 21 or above) is perfectly OK in Coach, as you noted it is much cheaper to bring/drink your own than paying Amtrak prices for alcohol! (Beer/Wine/Mixed drinks/Liquers are pricey in the Lounge car and diner!) Two trains have wine and cheese tastings for passengers, the Coast Starlite in the Pacific Parlor Car and the Empire Builder in the diner!

Passengers have been known to consume their own alcohol in Coach if they dont get drunk, flash it around etc. If you are rowdy or intoxicated on Amtrak you might be put off the train in the middle of nowhere or even be turned over to Big Guys with Handcuffs and Jail Cells waiting at the next stop! Be sure and be discreet, shouldnt be any problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: If you are in a sleeper you are allowed to bring/consume your personal supply of alcohol in your room, but not in the lounge car or diner nor in Coach! Carrying unopened alcohol (if you're 21 or above) is perfectly OK in Coach, as you noted it is much cheaper to bring/drink your own than paying Amtrak prices for alcohol! (Beer/Wine/Mixed drinks/Liquers are pricey in the Lounge car and diner!) Two trains have wine and cheese tastings for passengers, the Coast Starlite in the Pacific Parlor Car and the Empire Builder in the diner!

Passengers have been known to consume their own alcohol in Coach if they dont get drunk, flash it around etc. If you are rowdy or intoxicated on Amtrak you might be put off the train in the middle of nowhere or even be turned over to Big Guys with Handcuffs and Jail Cells waiting at the next stop! Be sure and be discreet, shouldnt be any problem!

Alright thanks. I'm over 21 (actually 22) and I wouldn't actually be drinking it on the train, just bringing it with me on my trip. I figure if sales tax in MI is 6%, but in Flagstaff (where I'm heading) it's almost 10% that's 4 cents a dollar I save!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alright thanks. I'm over 21 (actually 22) and I wouldn't actually be drinking it on the train, just bringing it with me on my trip. I figure if sales tax in MI is 6%, but in Flagstaff (where I'm heading) it's almost 10% that's 4 cents a dollar I save!)
Just carrying it is perfectly legit and within the rules. I know the feeling, I live in Washington where the only place to buy liquor is in state stores, and it is almost twice as expensive as it is in California or Nevada.

Two trains have wine and cheese tastings for passengers, the Coast Starlite in the Pacific Parlor Car and the Empire Builder in the diner!
It should be noted that the wine tasting on the EB is free whereas the one on the CS is $5 cash only.

If you are reasonable, Amtrak will be accomodating.

They want their pax to have a pleasant trip so if violate one of their many rules (like pertaining to carry-on luggage) and they can ignore it without inconveniencing anyone, they will. I was in the SightSeer Lounge and I saw a fellow with a can of beer that he did NOT buy on the train - I assume that Amtrak personnel also saw him but he was causing no trouble and he got no trouble. On the other hand I am sitting in Business Class listening to nasty music on my Ipod but I am using earphones so I don't bother any and no one is bothering me. <_<

While the memory is vague I recall a wine and cheese reception for Lakeshore sleeping car passengers leaving Chicago on a trip last year.

While the memory is vague I recall a wine and cheese reception for Lakeshore sleeping car passengers leaving Chicago on a trip last year.

Yes, they do have a 'reception' in the dining car as the train waits in the station for departure but they close up shop shortly after pulling out because the staffs' shifts end. It was a lot of fun. There was, however, no similar reception from NYP on the way back.

Two trains have wine and cheese tastings for passengers, the Coast Starlite in the Pacific Parlor Car and the Empire Builder in the diner!
It should be noted that the wine tasting on the EB is free whereas the one on the CS is $5 cash only.
It is $5 for sleeper passengers and $10 for coach passengers on the CS. And it is NOT cash only - I pay by (AGR) credit card (to earn more points
laugh.gif
) every time!

Thanks all for the advice, sounds like as long as I don't make a fuss about it it'll be a-okay.

I found the wine and cheese reception on the LakeShore to be "cheesy" compared to the CS and the EB! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I'm Shocked! Shocked! that the_traveler had to leave the Penthouse Suite and go to the PPC for Wine and cheese, has the bad economy caused him to lay off staff? :giggle:

Last January our LSL departure from Chicago was delayed about an hour and a half but we still had the Wine and Cheese which lasted about an hour. Each pax was given a nice plate with assorted grapes, cheeses and crackers and as many pours of a couple different wines as we wanted. Refills were offered on the cheese and grapes, and when I commented how good the Blue Cheese was, the Server brought me almost a half pound of it!

If you are reasonable, Amtrak will be accomodating.

They want their pax to have a pleasant trip so if violate one of their many rules (like pertaining to carry-on luggage) and they can ignore it without inconveniencing anyone, they will. I was in the SightSeer Lounge and I saw a fellow with a can of beer that he did NOT buy on the train - I assume that Amtrak personnel also saw him but he was causing no trouble and he got no trouble. On the other hand I am sitting in Business Class listening to nasty music on my Ipod but I am using earphones so I don't bother any and no one is bothering me. <_<
This is one of the things that I really really like about Amtrak. :D If you're seriously behaving yourself, they really don't care. I've brought my own beer on the Coast Starlight and consumed it in the PPC. When he carried my carry on bags up to my bedroom the car attendant did ask me if I was bringing my lead collection along, but he said with a smile. :lol: That bag had to weigh over the 50lb limit. I could lift it, and he could lift it, so it was allowed, with only that one comment. :cool:

This is one of the things that I really really like about Amtrak. :D If you're seriously behaving yourself, they really don't care. I've brought my own beer on the Coast Starlight and consumed it in the PPC. When he carried my carry on bags up to my bedroom the car attendant did ask me if I was bringing my lead collection along, but he said with a smile. :lol: That bag had to weigh over the 50lb limit. I could lift it, and he could lift it, so it was allowed, with only that one comment. :cool:
50 pounds? That's like a small child! I don't think my luggage will weigh that much lol

50 pounds? That's like a small child! I don't think my luggage will weigh that much lol
Don't be surprised! Some bags used to weigh something like 20-30 pounds - EMPTY!
ohmy.gif
I only use pelican cases .. Need I say more about empty weight LOLs . . and yea excepts for Very over the top conductors who are on a power trip . If you can lift it you can bring it .

You might be surprised at how quickly small things can add to the weight. Along with my clothes, consider a laptop with with it's AC transformer, and a Kindle with it's power pak, and a cell phone charger, and a multi-plug surge protector, and a GPS with it's power plug, and a pair of shoes, and a dopp kit, and a flashlight, and that absolutely necessary assortment of safety pins, duct tape, and the WD-40... THEN toss in a 12 pack of cold Bud. I stayed within the size limits, but I wanted to have the absolute essentials with me in the room, and not in the bagage car. :lol: :hi:

You might be surprised at how quickly small things can add to the weight. Along with my clothes, consider a laptop with with it's AC transformer, and a Kindle with it's power pak, and a cell phone charger, and a multi-plug surge protector, and a GPS with it's power plug, and a pair of shoes, and a dopp kit, and a flashlight, and that absolutely necessary assortment of safety pins, duct tape, and the WD-40... THEN toss in a 12 pack of cold Bud. I stayed within the size limits, but I wanted to have the absolute essentials with me in the room, and not in the bagage car. :lol: :hi:
My back hurt just reading that.

I managed to get by on a two week trip from Buffalo to Albany with only what fit in the diaper bag shown on the back of the funny looking white bike. The two weeks didn't even count the train ride from from the Midwest to Buffalo and return from Albany.

depew.jpg

The diaper bag on the back of the red bike is partially hidden as we get ready to roll on a two week trip to Mobile and back to Hammond, LA. My wife, who rode the white bike this time, is more in your league when it comes to packing. By the end of the day, who knows what she has accumulated.

brookhaven1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back