albuquerque construction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
I was just sitting here like the idiot that I am, pondering our last trip on the Chief to Albuquerque. The station there is not the old AT&SF station I remember but a converted railroad building to have some semblance of a passenger station. There is construction just South of that building alongside the platforms. Could this be a new Amtrak station going up?

It sure doesn't seem like there will be any connection to the new transportation center to the North except for transferr service to local public transit.

For new Amtrak station, I don't know. However, that construction area is for NM commuter rail, RailRunner. It is supposedly to get started later this fall, but I seriously doubt it because the other stations haven't break their grounds yet.

That Amtrak building has been a station for many years. There was another Amtrak building (or was it a double wide trailer), but it is is for administration use. It was located in construction area.

If my memory serves me correctly, the original Santa Fe station was lost to a fire not too many years back....the building in it's place bears somewhat of a resemblence but thats about all. I was there while traveling eastbound on the S.W. Chief just this past March. It was definately not the original.....too bad. Many memories of riding the Super Chief as a kid still linger on that spot though....... :)

Rick said:
If my memory serves me correctly, the original Santa Fe station was lost to a fire not too many years back....the building in it's place bears somewhat or a resemblence but thats about all. I was there while traveling eastbound on the S.W. Chief just this past March. It was definately not the original.....too bad. Many memories of riding the Super Chief as a kid still linger on that spot though....... :)
You are correct. The original station did burn down, and not that many years ago, maybe nine or 10?

The original Amtrak station in Albuquerque was destroyed by fire in January 1993.It was a total loss all that was left standing were the walls after the fire fighters had worked all night.

Back