Airports for Trans-Atlantic Trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I decided to move to the US while half my family remained in India, I made a conscious decision to do a lot of flying, and that was in my thinking not a bad thing. :)

I fly to visit family and friends 8000 miles away, not quite as often as people drive to do the same, but when needed often enough. I have done 3 round trips to India this year for various reasons, and will be doing a fourth in Dec/Jan. And then there is a RT to Scotland coming up visiting family, and then there are the business trips to Israel and Germany that come and go, with an occasional one to Japan or China thrown in. There have been moths when I am not quite sure which time zone I am in. :) Specially weekend trips to India will do that to you.

There's probably not much of a point to get to Canada just so you can avoid the TSA. Canada has their own version of the TSA as well, and you'll have to pay for it either way. Same goes for when you leave to come back to the US. I find the USBP to be just fine when entering the US. You have a US Passport and thousands of tourists travel between Europe and the US everyday, and they know that. I don't think there is really anything to worry about when it comes to US Customs. Same goes for entering the EU.

Have you looked at departing PHL? As you probably know, thats also an easy airport to get to by train. British Airways has two flights per day to London, the late one leaving as late as 11 PM. There are other flights to the other major gateways in Europe as well. But if you want to ride the Eurostar, flying into London is probably a good start. You can also consider doing an open jaw itinerary. Such as fly into London, then fly back from Frankfurt or wherever you end up.

Otherwise, Orlando and Tampa both have flights to London as well. But I wouldn't rely on a LD train to get me to an international connection, even if you planned an overnight there. I'd stick with RDU, BWI, PHL or any other northeastern airport.

There's probably not much of a point to get to Canada just so you can avoid the TSA. Canada has their own version of the TSA as well, and you'll have to pay for it either way. Same goes for when you leave to come back to the US. I find the USBP to be just fine when entering the US. You have a US Passport and thousands of tourists travel between Europe and the US everyday, and they know that. I don't think there is really anything to worry about when it comes to US Customs. Same goes for entering the EU.
Can't say about back and forth US and Europe, as I have never done it, but did spend 17 years of back and forth US and east Asia. My worst and silliest customs experiences were always entering the US. My high point remains one occasion at Seattle when entering with oldest son. We handed over two US Passports, and the first question we were asked was, "Why are you entering the United States?"

Can't say about back and forth US and Europe, as I have never done it, but did spend 17 years of back and forth US and east Asia. My worst and silliest customs experiences were always entering the US. My high point remains one occasion at Seattle when entering with oldest son. We handed over two US Passports, and the first question we were asked was, "Why are you entering the United States?"
That's why I like not having to deal with inane humans that are full of themselves and deal with a dumb machine instead.

Although the last trip to Canada was a refreshing change. The US CBP agent at Rouses Point actually behaved as well as ( or perhaps even better than) the CBSA agent had done at Lacolle going the other way, which was very well. That was a first!

I think maybe CBP is putting their agents through a bit of "Social Training".

and the first question we were asked was, "Why are you entering the United States?"
I recently saw an Indian movie that makes a joke about this eternally-asked question. The conversation goes something like this-

Airport officer: Sir, what is the purpose of your visit to the United States?

Hero: I'm here to help your country

Officer: What? How?

Hero: Y'know, spend some dollars, do some shopping, push in some funds to revive your struggling economy... you don't want that? Should I just go back?

I want to try this answer next time at the Port of Entry.. or maybe not
mosking.gif

I fly to Europe about once every 4 weeks on business. Suggest you plan backward from wherever in Europe you want to spend your first night. One strategy is to land at an airport where there is an integral intercity train station (e.g. Zuerich, Frankfurt, Amsterdam) and then take a train to your first night's destination. In most cases you won't be able to check into a hotel upon landing in the morning in Europe anyway -- unless you pay for the room from the night before. Another strategy is to land in the city where you will spend the first night, drop off your bags at a hotel, and sightsee. (The younger one is, the easier it is to do this and stay awake). Once you know where you want to fly into, you can find out what cities in the U.S. have nonstops to the European airport you've chosen -- then you can decide which of those U.S. airports are the most convenient.

Back