Airo - Amfleet I replacement Siemens Inter City Trainsets (ICT) (2021 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4200hp is the Chargers power in diesel mode but as of now the electric versions HP is unknown.
It is somewhat more complicated than that. First specifications.

Fuel type
Diesel
Fuel capacity
  • SC-44/SCB-40: 1,800 US gal (6,800 L; 1,500 imp gal)
  • ALC-42/SCV-42: 2,200 US gal (8,300 L; 1,800 imp gal)
Prime moverCummins QSK95
RPM range600–1,800
Engine type45° V16, four stroke cycle
AspirationTurbocharger
Displacement95 liters (5,800 cu in)[3]
Traction motorsSiemens 3-phase AC induction motors; 978 hp (729 kW) each
Head end power660 or 1,000 kW; , 60 Hz, 480 V AC
Cylinders16
Cylinder size5.9375 liters (362.33 cu in)
TransmissionACDC–AC
Loco brakeDynamic, regenerative, electropneumatic
Train brakesElectropneumatic
Safety systemsPositive train control: ACSES II, I-ETMS
hidePerformance figures
Maximum speed125 mph (200 km/h)
Power output
  • SCB-40: 4,000 hp (3,000 kW)
  • ALC-42/SCV-42: 4,200 hp (3,100 kW)
  • SC-44: 4,400 hp (3,300 kW)
Tractive effort
  • Starting: 290 kN (65,000 lbf)
  • Continuous: 275 kN (62,000 lbf)
Factor of adh.4.07 (24.57%)
So in E mode almost 8000HP tractive effort for an ICT if same tractions motors in APV. 978 x 8 = 7824HP; In diesel mode you have the QSK rating and subtract the variable HEP draw = HP available to traction motors. Now to complicate it further tractive effort cannot be more than adhesion factors which can be less than available HP mostly at speeds below 12 MPH but can be higher with slippery rail.

It is somewhat more complicated than that. First specifications.

Fuel type
Diesel
Fuel capacity
  • SC-44/SCB-40: 1,800 US gal (6,800 L; 1,500 imp gal)
  • ALC-42/SCV-42: 2,200 US gal (8,300 L; 1,800 imp gal)
Prime moverCummins QSK95
RPM range600–1,800
Engine type45° V16, four stroke cycle
AspirationTurbocharger
Displacement95 liters (5,800 cu in)[3]
Traction motorsSiemens 3-phase AC induction motors; 978 hp (729 kW) each
Head end power660 or 1,000 kW; , 60 Hz, 480 V AC
Cylinders16
Cylinder size5.9375 liters (362.33 cu in)
TransmissionACDC–AC
Loco brakeDynamic, regenerative, electropneumatic
Train brakesElectropneumatic
Safety systemsPositive train control: ACSES II, I-ETMS
hidePerformance figures
Maximum speed125 mph (200 km/h)
Power output
  • SCB-40: 4,000 hp (3,000 kW)
  • ALC-42/SCV-42: 4,200 hp (3,100 kW)
  • SC-44: 4,400 hp (3,300 kW)
Tractive effort
  • Starting: 290 kN (65,000 lbf)
  • Continuous: 275 kN (62,000 lbf)
Factor of adh.4.07 (24.57%)
So in E mode almost 8000HP tractive effort for an ICT if same tractions motors in APV. 978 x 8 = 7824HP; In diesel mode you have the QSK rating and subtract the variable HEP draw = HP available to traction motors. Now to complicate it further tractive effort cannot be more than adhesion factors which can be less than available HP mostly at speeds below 12 MPH but can be higher with slippery rail.
This assumes 4 motors in the APV and 4 in the Loco, correct?

NJTransit runs 8 MLVs using a single ALP45DP, so it is not as if the train will not move if it has only 4200HP. But it won't be very nippy. I also do not think they will ever go to a ten car set since its usefulness with full utilization may be somewhat limited. It is better to run two 6-8 car trains than one ten car train, unless you are in deamnd situation like in India, in which case 10 cars is a little less than half of what you need in a consist :D

My suspicion is that the electric gear will be sized to supply the power that 4 trucks can handle, so the HP could be double that of the diesel mode. But we will know for sure only when they choose to let us know.
Wouldn’t it be pretty easy for the Airos to still use the APV motors while in desiel territory under the prime mover? Sure you now would have 4200 HP split across up to 8 motors instead of 4, but doesn’t that help improve tractive effort and acceleration? I would think the required equipment is already in place since it’s equipped to work that way in electric territory

I wonder which "version" was ordered?
I happened upon the answer to the 10 options question by accident today. It was 8-8car sets for the NEC and 2-6 car battery sets for the Empire Service. It was hinted at in the 2022-2027 plan. That brings the projected size of the Airo fleet to 562 cars, about the current size of Amfleet 1 and 2 combined.

Wouldn’t it be pretty easy for the Airos to still use the APV motors while in desiel territory under the prime mover? Sure you now would have 4200 HP split across up to 8 motors instead of 4, but doesn’t that help improve tractive effort and acceleration? I would think the required equipment is already in place since it’s equipped to work that way in electric territory
Yes it improves traction. It just depends on how they choose to set things up. Either configuration is technically feasible. They require specific set of electronics to enable the configuration.

Yes it improves traction. It just depends on how they choose to set things up. Either configuration is technically feasible. They require specific set of electronics to enable the configuration.
As understood the Airos will be geared for 125 MPH operation. That means that if the 4200 HP was just on 4 axels then 1050 hp on each axel will be too much slip at slow speeds. Have no idea at what speeds but the 525 HP (8 axels) starting from zero MPH should not slip. Much quicker acceleration and maybe slowing but the PTC restrictions may not change slowing curves?

Of course the HEP draw was not considered in the above. But it could be that programing of the HEP might allow the engineer to cancel HEP to reach max track speed?

More propaganda with some nice shots of the assembly lines:

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/10/amtrak-airo-production-stimulates-nationwide-economy/
Given that it’s October 2023, do we think it may be possible the Cascades sees service something in 2025, rather than 2026? Presumably there is still much to do, but 30ish months seems like a long lead time from first car to first revenue train set.

Well, it is a different manufacturer. ;)
Weren't the venture cars already tested on the NEC? Considering Amtrak already has the chargers they can be tested on the NEC too. Seems like Siemens has a bit of a head start on this so hopefully it won't take too long.

Weren't the venture cars already tested on the NEC? Considering Amtrak already has the chargers they can be tested on the NEC too. Seems like Siemens has a bit of a head start on this so hopefully it won't take too long.
Both the Venture cars and Chargers are operating at 125 mph in commercial service on Brightline as we speak. There is nothing more to test. They are already certified for 125mph commercial operation.

Arguably the twin unit dual mode Chargers that go with the Airos may need to be separately tested and certified though. Also the Cab cars might need to be tested to 125mph. I don't know what testing and certification has been done for the California Cab Cars.

Still no window shades for coach passengers, and it looks like business class will also be without window shades or curtains (which the current Amfleet 1 business class cars have.)
I would not derive any final answer on internal furnishing at this point based on anything that is or is not in the car today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back