AGR Zone Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. Most likely yes.

Once upon a time, it was a one zone, since you start and end in the Central zone.

Then, AGR started charging for the number of zones you are traveling through, which would make it a 2.

There's still some variability, but I'd plan on 2 unless you get lucky.

Kansas City to Columbus, WI are in the same zone and should be a 1 zone redemption..... assuming that you are going through Chicago.

Unless they have tightened the rules on this, I believe that it counts as one zone so long as the train you are changing to is the next train out to your final destination....... even though in this case it requires an overnight layover in Chicago.

To find out for sure, just give AGR a call and ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Ryan said, most likely, you will be routed thru LAX and PDX, due to the non-overnight connections. Expect it to be a 2 zone trip (since you're traveling thru the Western Zone), and be pleasantly surprised if they give it as one zone!

How about this? Omaha NE to St. Paul? It routes you though Sacramento, up to Portland and St. Paul. It's one zone..seems a long way to get from point A to B

KCY to CBS via LAX and PDX would be two 2-zone redemptions, as this is a "circle trip" which cannot be accomplished using a single redemption (exiting and then re-entering the same zone).

KCY to CBS via LAX and PDX would be two 2-zone redemptions, as this is a "circle trip" which cannot be accomplished using a single redemption (exiting and then re-entering the same zone).
What do you mean, "cannot be accomplished using a single redemption"?

When you plug the city pair into Amtrak.com, that's the only routing that comes up. We shouldn't be penalized points for the shortcomings in Amtrak's network.

(Sorry, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, it just seems like a dumb policy)

My experience is that you can book a trip that exits and reenters the same zone as one redemption as long as the itinerary appears at amtrak.com. What you'll be charged is variable, but I've never been told I couldn't book the trip as one redemption.

Examples of itineraries that I have actually booked include HOS-LAX-PDX-MSP and DEN-SAC-PDX-MOT.

Back