AGR "Share" Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
I have a friend who has graciously offered to give me her balance of 8k AGR points. She is calling it quits from rail travel. The purchase price for "share" points is $10 per 1k. This will cost me $80 compared to the "buy" points total of $301.60 ($37.70 per 1k)

This seems do good a deal to pass up. I would certainly use these points before the late January AGR program change. Anyone see a flaw in this opportunity?

So you're just paying her the $80 for the transfer right? That's OK, long as you're not buying the points!

That is against the published AGR T&Cs and can result in the points being confiscated and your account being closed if they find out!

Go for it! Points will be dear starting next year!

No DownSide!

I "Shared" my wife and kid's points to my account, for the same reason, needed to top off for a BOS-BAL Acela 1st class. I'd already used the bulk of my other points for SAN-EMY-CHI-BAL next June, Bedroom.

So you're just paying her the $80 for the transfer right? That's OK, long as you're not buying the points!

That is against the published AGR T&Cs and can result in the points being confiscated and your account being closed if they find out!

Go for it! Points will be dear starting next year!
Just to be clear my friend does the entire share point process. This is done online in the same manner as buying points. She will pay the $80 fee with her credit card to move the points from her account to my accouint. I will reimburse the money for this transfer.

Why is she calling it quits?
She made a coast to coast round trip back in the spring between Anniston and Palm Springs. It was not her cup of tea.. Too long a trip between an over night in New Orleans, poor arrival/departure times in Palm Springs, bad experiences in the dining car, boring scenery, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back