AGR Redemption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
How far out can you book a trip using AGR points? We are wanting to go to Seattle via the EB from LNK, will we be able to book that or will they send us via the CZ/CS? We really want to go to Glacier National Park for a couple of days so we are thinking of purchasing a roomette from SEA-Glacier and then using AGR points from Glacier Park to LNK via CHI. Will it work? This trip is being planned for 2010 in September to coincide with a Husker game vs the Huskies.

Al

Al,

Eleven months, just like a paid Amtrak reservation.

As for your other question, that I'm really not sure. I think that they'll want you to go the other way, and not via Chicago. But you can sure ask and see what happens. If they won't let you go via Chicago, then just book coach seats on the CZ and use your points for the EB only.

As for your other question, that I'm really not sure. I think that they'll want you to go the other way, and not via Chicago. But you can sure ask and see what happens. If they won't let you go via Chicago, then just book coach seats on the CZ and use your points for the EB only.

You have to know how the system works and use its rules to make it do what you want.

Folks here know the system and are more than happy to share their knowledge with your. Ain't it great? :p

You have to know how the system works and use its rules to make it do what you want.

Folks here know the system and are more than happy to share their knowledge with your. Ain't it great? :p
And even if we don't - we just make it up! :lol:

Really Al, just enter LNK-(wherever) onto amtrak.com to get a routing. If LNK-CHI and CHI-??? comes up, AGR can book it as an AGR award. If only LNK-SAC-??? comes up, AGR can not book it as 1 award. If not, do as Alan said. (Buy a ticket to CHI and get an award from CHI.)

That is what I'm doing next year. I want to go from TOL (the border city) to PDX, but the only choice given is via the EB and I want to go via the SWC/CS. (More train time! :p ) But I am given a choice of the SWC/CS from CHI, so I will pay ~$30 for a TOL-CHI ticket - and get the AGR award out of CHI! :D

I always thought it was 11 months out but when we went to redeem some points for the LSL for the upcoming railfest in October 2009, AGR told Brenda that you could only book 6 months in advance with AGR. My heart sank because I want to get the best bedroom (E) on the EB there and back in September 2010. I was figuring with only a 6 month advanced reservation, most of the bedrooms would be gone. It gets a little annoying getting the wrong info from people at AGR. Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought it was 11 months out but when we went to redeem some points for the LSL for the upcoming railfest in October 2009, AGR told Brenda that you could only book 6 months in advance with AGR. My heart sank because I want to get the best bedroom (E) on the EB there and back in September 2010. I was figuring with only a 6 month advanced reservation, most of the bedrooms would be gone. It gets a little annoying getting the wrong info from people at AGR. Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

Al,

I was unaware of the 6 month window with AGR bookings and would certainly call again to get another agent. However, assuming that is true, it it feasible for you to book the room you want through Amtrak directly, pay for it, and not prinit the tickets? Then, when you are able to book with points, call Amtrak and refund the amount to your credit card, immediately call AGR and complete the booking with points.

I think you may have gotten bad info. Try another agent. If you try to book a award reservation on-line, the system opens for the full 330 day window.

Back