AGR Redemption Q: Paying Add'l Bdrm Psgr OK?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelG

Train Attendant
Hello, Experts!

I'm planning to redeem 25,000 of my points for a bedroom on the Coast Starlight, LAX-SEA, to return my daughter back to college at Seattle U in September.

My questions (and excuse my ignorance):

1) Does a bedroom award cover the accommodation only, or does it include my rail fare as well?

2) Can I buy, rather than redeem points, a ticket to pay for her trip? (Her AGR account only has 600 points in it.) If I can't buy a ticket for her, can I redeem some more of my AGR points on her behalf?

3) We'd actually be leaving from FUL, taking a Surfliner to LAX. Any issues about this?

4) Anything else I should know in advance or ask the AGR agent in the process of the redemption and making the reservation?

Thank you, oh Wise Ones!

Joel

1) The AGR award covers everything, both accomodations and railfare.

2) The AGR award also covers both passengers in a bedroom accomodation.

3) That shouldn't be a problem at all.

4) Enjoy your trip! :)

An AGR redemption covers the rail fare, room and all meals in the Dining Car (or in your case, the PPC also) for either 1 or 2 people sharing the room - provided both are named on the reservation! :) And it also includes the complete trip, in your case starting in FUL. And because the Surfliners don't have sleeping cars, you are entitled to a business class ticket for the FUL-LAX segment for each of you! ;)

The only think not included are alcoholic beverages.

1. The 25,000 Redeemed covers everything

2. The Redeemed rate covers all passengers in the room

3. No. When you call AGR tell them your leaving from FUL. You should be booked in BC on a Surfliner.

4. Nahh. Just enjoy the ride!

:)

Dave and JayPea beat me! Didn't show up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Gents, for your prompt and favorable replies; so much appreciated!

If I may trouble you again, based on your answers, here's one more question:

Bonus Round: If the Bedroom redemption includes "all the passengers in the room" and per Amtrak rules a bedroom can "legally" accommodate three adults, would I be allowed to book my wife as well as my daughter and me for no extra points beyond the 25,000?

(We often travel 11/14 as a threesome in a bedroom, no problems, but have always paid for the tickets in the past; have never traveled on an AGR redemption.)

Thanks again for your help. I can't tell you how nice it is to have expert consultants on my team!

Joel

As of July1 Unfortunately NO! Amtrak will still alllow 3 in a Bedroom on a PAID Trip but AGR is now Limiting Bedroom Redemptions to 2 Adults! :( If your wife really wants to go, I suggest that you look into Booking 2 Roomettes next to each other from LAX-SEA on the CS! A One Zone, 2 Roomette Redemption will cost you 30,000 Points (28,500 if you have the AGR Chase Master Card) and include Business Class on the Surfliner FUL-LAX and All Meals in the Diner, the Wine and Cheese Tastings in the Afternoons and use of the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight as well as being able to wait in the Traxx Lounge in Union Station for #14 heading North to Seattle! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So as of July 1, you can only book 2 folks in an AGR award in a bedroom. But I do wonder if you can book an "open sleeper" ticket for the third person and just pay the railfare for person number 3? AGR insider didn't confirm or deny that possibility over on flyer talk even though I asked.

So as of July 1, you can only book 2 folks in an AGR award in a bedroom. But I do wonder if you can book an "open sleeper" ticket for the third person and just pay the railfare for person number 3? AGR insider didn't confirm or deny that possibility over on flyer talk even though I asked.
Looks like AGR Insider just answered this morning that the additional passenger(s) can be booked as an "open sleeper" ticket with the AGR agent when the redemption is made.

I've only had experience with 2 adults and an infant but the infant is not included in the capacity guidelines so the redemption worked just fine as-is.

As of July1 Unfortunately NO! Amtrak will still alllow 3 in a Bedroom on a PAID Trip but AGR is now Limiting Bedroom Redemptions to 2 Adults! :( If your wife really wants to go, I suggest that you look into Booking 2 Roomettes next to each other from LAX-SEA on the CS! A One Zone, 2 Roomette Redemption will cost you 30,000 Points (28,500 if you have the AGR Chase Master Card) and include Business Class on the Surfliner FUL-LAX and All Meals in the Diner, the Wine and Cheese Tastings in the Afternoons and use of the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight as well as being able to wait in the Traxx Lounge in Union Station for #14 heading North to Seattle! :)
28,500 if you have Agr Master Card Can I ask why? Do they charge you less points as a card holder?

28,500 if you have Agr Master Card Can I ask why? Do they charge you less points as a card holder?
Well, sort of. You must have the full 30,000 in your account to book it, and they will deduct that amount. But then you get a 5% rebate immediately afterwards back to your account.

Latest posts

Back