AGR-points: what to do with them

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruudkeulers

Service Attendant
I know I'm entitled to a lot of AGR-points for our upcoming trip. I even used Alice's US address to collect them and she extensively tried to explain why I should collect them.

But to be honest: I couldn't care less. At the same time - reading all The_Traveler's fanatic efforts to get extra points - it seems a waste not to collect them and hand them over to someone else. Is that possible and if so, how?

Ruud

Technically, you can not "hand them over", but what you can do is this. (I'm not saying to me, but :p )

Collect them as normal - into your account. Once you have enough points for an award, request an award in that person's name. (Example: Call up and say "I'd like to redeem for an award from A to B for my friend the_traveler") The points will be removed from your account, but the ticket will be issued with the other person's name. That person could receive the reservation number and pick up the ticket at a QT machine!

They are not very transferable so you can't really give them away. You can redeem them for tickets in other people names though. If you collect enough for an award you could just let someone (Alice sounds like a good canadate) know that whenever they need to redeem that award to have you call it in.

Flat iron steak is a general question, this is a AGR specific question-- this is an AGR specific forum where you can get a better answer to your question.

I know I'm entitled to a lot of AGR-points for our upcoming trip. I even used Alice's US address to collect them and she extensively tried to explain why I should collect them. But to be honest: I couldn't care less. At the same time - reading all The_Traveler's fanatic efforts to get extra points - it seems a waste not to collect them and hand them over to someone else. Is that possible and if so, how?

Ruud
Alice deservs them more than I do, but if she doesn't want them ......

They are not very transferable so you can't really give them away. You can redeem them for tickets in other people names though. If you collect enough for an award you could just let someone (Alice sounds like a good canadate) know that whenever they need to redeem that award to have you call it in.
As the_traveller mentioned, you can order tickets with other people's names...

You can do this out of the goodness of your heart or perhaps see if there's somebody who is willing to pay for the tickets. The latter can be a sticky wall to walk-- thus I suggest giving them to friends and family who can use them!

As the_traveller mentioned, you can order tickets with other people's names...

You can do this out of the goodness of your heart or perhaps see if there's somebody who is willing to pay for the tickets. The latter can be a sticky wall to walk-- thus I suggest giving them to friends and family who can use them!
Wait, is this an AGR forum, a Flat Iron forum, or a LD forum? I can't keep up. I'm old.

Id check with Alice,if she desires them(Id bet she would!)make the rez in her name as OPs have said, on the off chance that she doesnt you could drop them off in Austin when you come through next month in,ahem,my name!LOL

All I did was casual California friendliness! Look for offers at amtrakguestrewards.com you can buy online without getting something mailed to you. For example, most trips on the California trains are 1000 points, so take a day trip to San Diego or Santa Barbara while you are here.

AGR points can also be transferred to other points plans that are probably more useful to you, hopefully someone else will give you info. I see on the AGR website where they have lots of ways to transfer other kinds of points to AGR points, so maybe you have to go to each of these other programs to transfer the other way.

Not all the time, but sometimes I see charitable donations that can be made using points. Right now "carbon offsets" are being used for developing clean energy.

You have three years to use these so do not need to make a hasty decision.

All I did was casual California friendliness! Look for offers at amtrakguestrewards.com you can buy online without getting something mailed to you. For example, most trips on the California trains are 1000 points, so take a day trip to San Diego or Santa Barbara while you are here.
AGR points can also be transferred to other points plans that are probably more useful to you, hopefully someone else will give you info. I see on the AGR website where they have lots of ways to transfer other kinds of points to AGR points, so maybe you have to go to each of these other programs to transfer the other way.

Not all the time, but sometimes I see charitable donations that can be made using points. Right now "carbon offsets" are being used for developing clean energy.

You have three years to use these so do not need to make a hasty decision.
Great ideas Alice,youre the kind of person who deserves gifts and bonsuses because of your thougtfullness! :)

Moved? Where and why?
Moved to the AGR area as that's what it is about.
Don't you think that if I had known about the existence of an "AGR area" I wouldn't have dropped the question there?

Which brings me to something that has been bothering me for a some time:

You're all so very helpful on this forum in showing us newbies the way around Amtrak and how to get underway, but somewhere along the line you seem to forget what we are: newbies. As long as we don't have >16.000 posts behind our names and that name isn't AlanB, we should be a little excused and be treated a little gently?

Ruud

Moved? Where and why?
Don't you think that if I had known about the existence of an "AGR area" I wouldn't have dropped the question there?

You're all so very helpful on this forum in showing us newbies the way around Amtrak and how to get underway, but somewhere along the line you seem to forget what we are: newbies. As long as we don't have >16.000 posts behind our names and that name isn't AlanB, we should be a little excused and be treated a little gently?

Ruud
Aloha

Quite frankly I don't understand why you are upset by MrFSS moving your post. When we as Moderators see that could be better viewed some place else we move it. No criticism is involved. If someone has done something inappropriate they receive a private message.

But anyway I apologize that you felt offended, I am sorry.

Again Aloha

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't understand how you couldn't know it was there and available for new posts on the subject of AGR. The topic heading is two down from the main Amtrak discussion area. Seems pretty clear to me. But, if I'm missing something, let me know.

3893842201_1a550d6ac2_o.jpg

Moved? Where and why?

Ruud
Recently I responded to a thread on the Pacific Parlor car with a sidebar comment and question that were not consistent with the subject matter in the initial post. My post was moved and set up as a separate topic. Rather than take offense by that action, I acknowledged that moving my post was the correct decision in a response.

As for your comment directed at AlanB, it has been my observation that Alan goes beyond the call of duty to be informative and courteous, IMHO.

As for your comment directed at AlanB, it has been my observation that Alan goes beyond the call of duty to be informative and courteous, IMHO.
It's probably my use of the english language, but the last thing on my mind was discrediting Alan in any way. So if I offended anyone: my sincerest apologies!

Ruud

It's probably my use of the english language, but the last thing on my mind was discrediting Alan in any way. So if I offended anyone: my sincerest apologies!

Ruud
No problem Ruud, we understand! I'm from Texas so I dont speak English either! :lol:

Ruud
No problem Ruud, we understand! I'm from Texas so I dont speak English either! :lol:
So just what does a Texan Speak? :rolleyes: :lol:

Aloha and Mahalo

So just what does a Texan Speak? :rolleyes: :lol:
Nobody can tell! :lol: It's not like any other language know to man, woman, dogs, cats, snakes or outer space aliens! :lol:
I heard that what they speak in Texas is called Yållwaiian! ◄ ;)
No, what they "speak" in Texas, (and I lived there for six years) is "If you ain't from here, then you ain't worth the sh** on the bottom of my boots........." That's a "bit" of a generalization, but many folks believe that "There is Texas, and then there is the rest of the (small) world."

But hey, it is ONE BEAUTIFUL state, with a GREAT speed limit on the interstates..........(like, WHATever you want to drive.........)

I love Texas and Texans, married one, once. (never again!) hahahaha

Back