AGR INFO 101

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Obviously I'm new and trying to learn Rail Travel without buggin you guys too much. I'm trying to take advantage of your knowledge while waiting for my 1st trip!

That said, :unsure: I need help with this point/zone thing! :huh:

There are 3 AGR award zones. The borders are ATL, CIN and TOL between the east and midwest, and ELP, ABQ/TRI, DEN and WPT between the midwest and west. (There is also a special northeast zone IF your award is totally within that zone.) The amount of points needed is based on your starting point and your ending point. Anytime you cross a zone border, you need an additional zone.

However, there is one BIG exception! Due to a loophole ;) , on the route of the Crescent, the stations between ATL and SDL (even though in order to make a same day connection to somewhere else in your zone, you must connect in either WAS or CVS), a trip within the midwest zone is 1 zone only! Thus a trip from BHM to MSP or ATL to DEN is only 1 zone! :D And the infamous SDL-LAX is only 2 zones - even though you must go via WAS, and you can chose a routing via PDX! B)

There are 3 AGR award zones. The borders are ATL, CIN and TOL between the east and midwest, and ELP, ABQ/TRI, DEN and WPT between the midwest and west. (There is also a special northeast zone IF your award is totally within that zone.) The amount of points needed is based on your starting point and your ending point. Anytime you cross a zone border, you need an additional zone.
However, there is one BIG exception! Due to a loophole ;) , on the route of the Crescent, the stations between ATL and SDL (even though in order to make a same day connection to somewhere else in your zone, you must connect in either WAS or CVS), a trip within the midwest zone is 1 zone only! Thus a trip from BHM to MSP or ATL to DEN is only 1 zone! :D And the infamous SDL-LAX is only 2 zones - even though you must go via WAS, and you can chose a routing via PDX! B)
:huh: Thanx???? ;)

Glad I Asked. LOL! Think 101, :p

Well,

I'm approaching Select Status (4,246 rail points/5,096 point balance) & I'm still confused.

Questions:

1) Would purchasing points be considered Rail Pts. & would it be worth it to reach Select Level?

2) Would traveling reserved coach, TPA to ATL, cost me 5500 pts. or 11,000 pts.

3) 15,000 pts. could get me & girlfriend on a roomette?

Well,I'm approaching Select Status (4,246 rail points/5,096 point balance) & I'm still confused.

Questions:

1) Would purchasing points be considered Rail Pts. & would it be worth it to reach Select Level?

1) Purchased points do not count toward status. Only points earned from Amtrak travel count.

2) Reserved coach TPA to ATL is 5500 points one way, 11,000 points round trip. You would have to travel to TPA to WAS and then back to ATL, so you would get a long ride.

3) Yes, 15,000 points will get you a one-zone, one-way roomette for two. TPA to ATL should get you two nights for your 15,000 points.

Well,I'm approaching Select Status (4,246 rail points/5,096 point balance) & I'm still confused.

Questions:

1) Purchased points do not count toward status. Only points earned from Amtrak travel count.

2) Reserved coach TPA to ATL is 5500 points one way, 11,000 points round trip. You would have to travel to TPA to WAS and then back to ATL, so you would get a long ride.

3) Yes, 15,000 points will get you a one-zone, one-way roomette for two. TPA to ATL should get you two nights for your 15,000 points.

So,

I could go reserved coach seat for 5500 pts, TPA-NYP-BOS-ALB???

Last edited by a moderator:

Questions:

1) As mentioned, only actual PAID Amtrak travel counts toward Select status. But seeing your so close, here's an idea! ;) If you travel 4 times from (say) TPA to ORL round trip, it would not cost too much - and it would give you 800 rail points. Add that to your 4,246 that you currently have and Select status with 5,046 points! :D Better yet, if you can find a round trip to somewhere like WPK or similar THAT REQUIRES YOU TO TAKE A BUS FROM TPA TO ORL, you would earn 100 points for the bus and 100 points for the train. Thus this could be done with 2 round trips (to earn 800 points)! :D

And if you signed up for the double points promo, although it doesn't count towards Select status, it will give you more points that you can earn later! :p

2) All point rewards shown are for one way travel.

3) A roomette or bedroom award includes the rail fare FOR EITHER 1 OR 2, the roomette or bedroom FOR EITHER 1 OR 2 and all meals FOR EITHER 1 OR 2 - assuming both are listed on the reservation!

Just looking at a 1 zone award, for 1 person going coach, it costs 5,500 points, for 2 going coach, it is 11,000 points, but for 2 in a roomette (and all meals), it costs only 15,000 points! :D

Questions:

1) As mentioned, only actual PAID Amtrak travel counts toward Select status. But seeing your so close, here's an idea! ;) If you travel 4 times from (say) TPA to ORL round trip, it would not cost too much - and it would give you 800 rail points. Add that to your 4,246 that you currently have and Select status with 5,046 points! :D Better yet, if you can find a round trip to somewhere like WPK or similar THAT REQUIRES YOU TO TAKE A BUS FROM TPA TO ORL, you would earn 100 points for the bus and 100 points for the train. Thus this could be done with 2 round trips (to earn 800 points)! :D

And if you signed up for the double points promo, although it doesn't count towards Select status, it will give you more points that you can earn later! :p

2) All point rewards shown are for one way travel.

3) A roomette or bedroom award includes the rail fare FOR EITHER 1 OR 2, the roomette or bedroom FOR EITHER 1 OR 2 and all meals FOR EITHER 1 OR 2 - assuming both are listed on the reservation!

Just looking at a 1 zone award, for 1 person going coach, it costs 5,500 points, for 2 going coach, it is 11,000 points, but for 2 in a roomette (and all meals), it costs only 15,000 points! :D
Thanx,

I signed up for the double points & then took a trip STP (bus) - ORL( Meteor) - JAX.

JAX (Star - TPA (bus) - STP.

I checked my AGR Acct. They've credited me with the train ride from ORL to JAX 100 pts. + 100 pt fall promo bonus. That's it!!! No bus travel or return to STP points. ( This was credited just yesterday, so maybe its coming) I also made seperate reservations, thinking I'd get a total of 400 pts. Hope it works out that way! Thanx traveler. Your point of bus points goes over my head!!! :unsure:

Each route (either train or bus) offers the 100 point minimum. But also each route submits their tickets separately. So, they may not post at the same time. Bus connections may take the longest.

As an example, on my recent trip, the SEA-CHI train trip on 10/14 posted a few days ago. However, the train just before that, PDX-SEA on 10/14, or the bus from LAX-BFD on 10/12 have not posted yet.

Just be sure to keep the ticket stubs until all points post!

Each route (either train or bus) offers the 100 point minimum. But also each route submits their tickets separately. So, they may not post at the same time. Bus connections may take the longest.
As an example, on my recent trip, the SEA-CHI train trip on 10/14 posted a few days ago. However, the train just before that, PDX-SEA on 10/14, or the bus from LAX-BFD on 10/12 have not posted yet.

So, you're saying for that trip I should recieve 100pts bus STP-ORL,100 pts ORL-JAX,100 pts JAX-TPA,100 pts bus TPA-STP = 400 pts X 2 = 800 pts.?????

I just checked my X country trip from Sept & there are no pts for bus travel, could this mean more pts coming???

I just checked my X country trip from Sept & there are no pts for bus travel, could this mean more pts coming???
Yes it does, any bus trips should have provided points for you. For example if you took the bus from Tampa to Orlando, then you should have received points for the bus ride. If you didn't and it's been more than 6 weeks since the bus ride, then it's time to file a missing points request.

Yes it does, any bus trips should have provided points for you. For example if you took the bus from Tampa to Orlando, then you should have received points for the bus ride. If you didn't and it's been more than 6 weeks since the bus ride, then it's time to file a missing points request.
I took a bus fro STP-ORL on 9/1/08 & a bus from ORL-STP on 9/11/08 And no pts. received!?

I took a bus fro STP-ORL on 9/1/08 & a bus from ORL-STP on 9/11/08 And no pts. received!?
Then it's time to start chasing down your points. If you like, you can initially try the online missing points process, make sure that you have your ticket stubs handy when you go to the AGR site as you'll need them. But don't be surprised if that fails. Sometimes a second report via the missing points function is the charm. Failing that, or if you don't want to bother with the online at all, then you'll have to make copies of your ticket stubs and send them into AGR in order to get credit.

I've got all my stubs from both trips, would it be easier to go to Amtrak bus station, as they are very friendly there?
Then it's time to start chasing down your points. If you like, you can initially try the online missing points process, make sure that you have your ticket stubs handy when you go to the AGR site as you'll need them. But don't be surprised if that fails. Sometimes a second report via the missing points function is the charm. Failing that, or if you don't want to bother with the online at all, then you'll have to make copies of your ticket stubs and send them into AGR in order to get credit.
Could I go to the Amtrak bus station as they are very friendly!

I've got all my stubs from both trips, would it be easier to go to Amtrak bus station, as they are very friendly there?
No, a normal Amtrak ticket agent cannot help you. AGR is run by a seperate company under contract with Amtrak. The local agents have no access what so ever to the AGR system. Only AGR can help you. You must either call them (and probably get told that you have to mail things in, although sometimes certain CSR's will do it by phone), mail things in, or try the online missing points request form.

I will point out that points from thruway services usually take *much* longer to automatically post than those for train travel. I had a thruway bus automatically post almost two months after the travel actually took place.

That said, you do need to start pursuing this, to make sure that you receive your due.

I will point out that points from thruway services usually take *much* longer to automatically post than those for train travel. I had a thruway bus automatically post almost two months after the travel actually took place.
That said, you do need to start pursuing this, to make sure that you receive your due.
Just got off the phone with AGR. Very friendly & helpful! Points should be posted 5 - 7 days!

Thanx guys

Back