Advise for a first timer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking my first overnight trip from Wahington to Chicago and was wondering if anyone has some invaluable advice they could provide for a novice train rider, albeit an overnight train rider. How are the accomodations in the roomettes? What is the liklihood of a delay? Any hints or suggestions would help a ton.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice would be to hang-out in the lounge. Bring a book or a camera and make conversation with people. That's one of the points of the train. Eat in the dining car as well to meet people. You don't have to tell people your life story and you can be quiet if you wish while eating dinner.

Roomettes will be smaller than you think, but for one person it should be okay. It's sort of like sleeping in a closet. You may wish to have ear-plugs if you're not a sound sleeper and don't be surprised if the rocking of the train wakes you up or keeps you up a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peterbird,

I'd almost bet on at least some delays, so I would plan for that. That way if you do arrive on time, then you can be pleasently surprised.

Since you're bording in DC head for the Club Acela lounge when you arrive in the station. You'll find the lounge behind the Amtrak Information kiosk between gates D & E, ring the bell by the double wooden doors and just show your tickets to the attendant. This is a nice private waiting area, with refreshments, computers, TV's, and nice comfortable chairs. They'll also board you directly from the lounge, so that you won't have to stand in line at the gate.

Finally, you might wish to check out these hints and tips from OTOL.

Have a great trip! :)

I would take some Tylenol PM and some earplugs that have strings attached. That way, if you are finding it difficult to sleep, you can take the PM and put the earplugs in. I had a deluxe bedroom and we were roaring through Nebraska. The rail line are used by the coal freight trains and really "tear up the tracks" is what I was told. My room was really "vibrating" so I stuck some towels in the parts that were vibrating and then put some earplugs in. The second night I didn't use the earplugs or Tylenol PM. Having a sleeper is cool though! I will be in one Labor Day weekend with my girlfriend and her two kids. :lol:

i love the roomettes. i find them fine for two people. the food is very good. i have not had trouble sleeping other than wanting to stay awake so as not to miss anything. i always try and learn as much as i can about my route(history, sights and so forth)before i go.

Peterbird,
I'd almost bet on at least some delays, so I would plan for that. That way if you do arrive on time, then you can be pleasently surprised.

Since you're bording in DC head for the Club Acela lounge when you arrive in the station. You'll find the lounge behind the Amtrak Information kiosk between gates D & E, ring the bell by the double wooden doors and just show your tickets to the attendant. This is a nice private waiting area, with refreshments, computers, TV's, and nice comfortable chairs. They'll also board you directly from the lounge, so that you won't have to stand in line at the gate.

Finally, you might wish to check out these hints and tips from OTOL.

Have a great trip! :)

Thanks Alan. Another question. I am only going for a few days and have just an few pieces of baggage. Should I check the bags or just carry them on?

Thanks Alan. Another question. I am only going for a few days and have just an few pieces of baggage. Should I check the bags or just carry them on?
Assuming that you have no mobility issues, can lift your suitcases, and if you can fit everything into two bags the carry-on limit, then I'd probably just carry them on. Not worth the extra hassle of checking them in my opinion.

By the way, if you are returning from Chicago via the train and have a sleeper once again, then there is also a lounge out there too. However, it's called the Metropolitan Lounge out in Chicago.

i will be on the Capital limited myself at the end of the month.. i for one sleep like a baby on the train , my wife on the other hand not so soundly

brings to mind a few lines from a song

"Are rockin' to the gentle beat

And the rhythm of the rails is all they feel"

Arlo Guthrie - City Of New Orleans

brings to mind a few lines from a song
"Are rockin' to the gentle beat

And the rhythm of the rails is all they feel"

Arlo Guthrie - City Of New Orleans
Aloha

I like it, now just need to hear the music play.

But seriously I prefer a roommette because the movement is like a childes rocker and untill I fall assleep I can see out the window, guess most of my trips must have had full moons. The Family room and Bed rooms are set up so you sleep accross the car.

The other comment about Luggage I usely stow mine in the upper bunck since I travel alone. The lounge and diner comments are right on

Mahalo

Assuming that you have no mobility issues, can lift your suitcases, and if you can fit everything into two bags the carry-on limit, then I'd probably just carry them on. Not worth the extra hassle of checking them in my opinion.
Then again, it is really nice not having to lug all your luggage to the train and back. In those two stations there is not much hassle in checking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back