Advice/Travel Checklist for First Time LD Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acela150

Super Buff
Noooooo, Not me.. :D

Thanks to AGR My Girlfriend and I are taking a quick trip to Chicago and back. Her Docs are saying to take a quick vacation before her pregnancy gets further along. I just cracked a joke about how we should goto Chicago. She actually said, "Good idea". This will be her first LD trip on any overnight train. She's been on Regional's, Keystoner's, and Acela's. But nothing like an Overnighter! :) We'll be on 449 in a Roomette and 30 in a Roomette and 132 back up to Boston. She will be home the weekend of travel so it made sense to leave from Boston for a few reasons, her Cat needs to be fed that made an impact on the choice, and she wants to spend time with her family for her birthday.

I'm looking to come up with a checklist of things she should bring with her. I've already got books, laptop with movies, snacks, change of clothes, soaps, that kind of stuff.

I'm looking for some things to put on the list. So if anyone has something. Please feel free to post it.

TIA,

Steve

I would not over pack. In my opinion, taking less is better. I no longer bring books with me. I take my kindle and most of the time, I am either looking at the window or using my tablet. I also make sure that whatever I take with me, I can carry by myself, with no help. In her case, you likely will be helping her, so make sure she does not bring more than you can comfortably carry (in addition to your stuff).

I would not over pack. In my opinion, taking less is better. I no longer bring books with me. I take my kindle and most of the time, I am either looking at the window or using my tablet. I also make sure that whatever I take with me, I can carry by myself, with no help. In her case, you likely will be helping her, so make sure she does not bring more than you can comfortably carry (in addition to your stuff).
Good point Penny.

Depending on how far along she is, you may want to bring a pillow she can use to make herself more comfortable at night. They usually give us two each, but she might want a third to put between her legs or under her belly if she's sleeping on her side.

Duct tapeScanner

Headphones

Ear plugs
Duct Tape?? What for? That's something I've never thought of bringing. Scanner that's always on my LD trips!

Depending on how far along she is, you may want to bring a pillow she can use to make herself more comfortable at night. They usually give us two each, but she might want a third to put between her legs or under her belly if she's sleeping on her side.
That's a good idea. Thanks Sorcha!! :)

Duct tape is for curtains that don't properly close or things that rattle. Or taping over the vent with newspaper. Or a broken table.

You are gonna want the curtain closed for the window to the hallway that is right above the toilet. :)

Duct tape is for curtains that don't properly close or things that rattle. Or taping over the vent with newspaper. Or a broken table.
I don't know why, but the last part of this made me laugh. It goes from these little, bitty things to, suddenly, a broken table. I pictured their entire roomette falling apart and covered in duct tape.

Had to tape the table leaf once. I use duct tape to tape my travel alarm to the armrest when the head of the bed is away from the step. Otherwise it falls down in the hole behind the armrest.

Like the duct tape.

Would recommend some reserve of non-alcoholic beverages -- heavy to carry - but not having to buy on-board is saving. A few liters of Gator-ade or plain water in reserve could be helpful.

Like the duct tape.Would recommend some reserve of non-alcoholic beverages -- heavy to carry - but not having to buy on-board is saving. A few liters of Gator-ade or plain water in reserve could be helpful.
And I normally recommend alcoholic beverages for sleepers, but since the OP's girlfriend is pregnant with twins, I am pretty sure she is going to pass on the booze.

Like the duct tape.Would recommend some reserve of non-alcoholic beverages -- heavy to carry - but not having to buy on-board is saving. A few liters of Gator-ade or plain water in reserve could be helpful.
I realize pregnancy is involved but, one may also bring and consume alcoholic beverages within their sleeper accommodations.

KISS. No, not what got you where you're at with your GF, but Keep It Simple, Stupid. :D

Seriously, though, I wouldn't take water or gatorade or anything like that. Since you'll have bottled water available for free to you in the sleeper, I would just take powdered drink mixes. Take a 16.9 oz (500 ml) bottle with you because that's what most are packaged for. Fill from freebie bottles.

Change of clothes for your trip (one set per night away from home), medicine, toiletries, etc. are imperative. I've even read on this forum the suggestion that if you have any holy (errr... holey) unders, you can use them and throw away when done, lightening your load.

Don't pack blankets, pillows, sheets, or anything like that. You'll have plenty. You MAY want to pack one pillow each. It's one of the more comfort pieces from home, much more enjoyable than an AmPillow, BUT - it's bulky.

Please do NOT use duct tape to quiet noisy kids in your car. :D

Some sort of extension cord with multiple outlets, associated chargers. Shampoo if you plan to use the shower (soap and towels are provided). Snacks. I like bringing a seperate GPS (with plugin) so I don't burn up my phone GPS and I like to know where I am.

Also, small bills to tip the diner car, $10 or $20 to tip the Sleeping Car attendant.

I bought duck tape on my recent cross country #6 CZ trip, but didn't have to use it.

Keep in mind on the viewliners (449), there isn't a ton of storage. You have a fairly small hatch in your roon above the hallway to put a carryon and a little more, plus room for a backpack on the toilet. You can store stuff under both seats though. 30 is a superliner with luggage storage downstairs.

Duct tapeScanner

Headphones

Ear plugs
I always take duct tape...even though I haven't had to use it yet. Ear plugs are a must...especially on 449 because you'll only have a baggage car between you and the locomotives.

Pack lightly...there's not much storage room on Superliner Roomettes (30). Viewliner Roomettes (449) at least have a storage area for carry-ons above the hallway.

Flip-flops are good idea to wear to and from, as well as in, the showers.

And be sure to tip the Attendant for good service. Most of them work very hard to make your trip enjoyable.

Have a great time. When traveling by train...getting there is half the fun of the vacation! :)

I have never had to use duct tape. If you feel inclined to bring some, wrap a small amount around something small and compact. No one needs to bring a whole roll.

Do bring handiwipes to clean up the room if you need to. I always wipe down the table when I get on board.

It is one night. Do not overpack. Limit the snacks because it always seems like you are in the dining car eating. Don't bring bottled water because it's already available. If you bring a scanner, make sure you close your door so the rest of us don't have to hear it. I swear some scanner folks are worse than the parents who let their small children run and scream up and down the hallway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had to use duct tape. If you feel inclined to bring some, wrap a small amount around something small and compact. No one needs to bring a whole roll.
Do bring handiwipes to clean up the room if you need to. I always wipe down the table when I get on board.

It is one night. Do not overpack. Limit the snacks because it always seems like you are in the dining car eating. Don't bring bottled water because it's already available. If you bring a scanner, make sure you close your door so the rest of us don't have to hear it. I swear some scanner folks are worse than the parents who let their small children run and scream up and down the hallway.
I would even add to that and say please listen to your scanner with headphones.

I had a very hard time with a neighbor who insisted on listening to his scanner at all hours of the night at a loud volume. :wacko: I think he heard me complaining loudly in my room to my H because then he turned the volume down.

Thanks everyone for the great tips! We're not big on alcoholic drinks. Just socially. And with her pregnancy we both just gave up on it. That way she doesn't get jealous or angry.

Betty, not yet, docs say that she'll be over the hump of morning sickness in the next couple weeks. But I will for sure bring some bags with me just in case. :)

I should add that I don't blast the scanner, just loud enough that I can hear it with the door closed so it's not bothering anyone else. But as for me I could listen to the K5LA all night, I don't know how she would do, so earplugs indeed! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, the Amtrak pillows are small and polyester, the sheets are cotton, and the blankets are thin and IIRC viscose.

If she has a specific favorite comfortable pillow or blanket, bring it. It'll make the difference between feeling like you're "roughing it" and feeling coddled.

I don't think they're that small, but I suppose they would be if you're used to king pillows and/or sleep on your back. Here's a shot from our trip last year:

2z81c90.jpg

As a side sleeper, two pillows was a bit too much for my neck, but one wasn't quite enough. I ended up getting creative. :)

You will also need:

• Lysol or Clorox Disposable Wipes (in the plastic tube container) for wiping door knobs, plastic surfaces and controls, plastic toilet seats and hands before meals. The surfaces on the train are not often cleaned.
  • your own supply of face towels (3 ought to do it) for when you want to use "your own" towel. (My better half wont ride Amtrak without her Wipes or personal face towels.)
  • Plenty of bottled water (enough for two people overnight.)
  • If the weather permits, wear a warm-up suit or something loose and in layers.
Bon voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back