Advice on Roomette LSL WB-Springfield to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the Lake Shore Limited from Springfield, MA to Chicago, IL. I will be traveling/staying in a roomette for the journey. Any advice or tips about traveling in the roomettes? I will be a first timer to that section of the train.

-Mass Rider

Just know ahead of time that the roomettes are smaaallllll. Sometimes when I try to explain this to others, they will respond by saying, "Oh, so the mattress is like a twin sized bed?" Not even close. I'm not going to bother looking up the exact dimensions but the entire roomette is probably smaller than the length and width of a twin size bed.

My point is, if you haven't seen one of these rooms, don't expect anything too spacious. But for one person, I think a roomette is perfect. The fact that you get to lie flat and shut the door at night is what more than justifies paying the upgrade for a roomette. Beats coach any day.

Hmm other tips...

Bring all the toiletries you'll need. They generally provide bar soap but there's no shampoo if you were planning on taking a shower.

On a Viewliner the upper berth has windows and is roomier than a Superliner top bunk. Therefore, when traveling on a Viewliner, I always ask the attendant to make up the top bunk for me to sleep in, as opposed to the bottom bunk. That way the lower berth is still in the daytime seating configuration, which gives me some space before bed to read and use the facilities if need be. Also it's nice to be able to sit upright and use the extra space in the morning while waiting for the attendant to come by and make up the room.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure others will have more to add. Oh yeah... don't forget to tip your attendant for decent service! Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be aware that you might be on a bus from Springfield MA to Albany NY. You should get to ALB in time for your roomette ride to CHI and I suspect dinner on the train.

ENJOY

One recommendation I might make is that if possible (and you don't mind moving) would be to get a roomette (or even go coach) from Springfield to Albany on #449 but then get a roomette on #49 from Albany to Chicago! "Trains" #49 and #449 combine and operate as one between Albany and Chicago. (#49 starts in NYC, while #440 starts in Boston.)

After the 2 trains are combined in Albany (which is an extended stop), the cars from #449 are placed in the front of the train. The cars from #49 (including the Dining Car) are placed on the rear of the train. Thus, it can be a long walk from the #449 sleeper all the way at the front of the train, thru many cars to the Dining Car near the rear of the train!
excl.gif

Returning, on "trains" #48 and #448 is just the opposite. They separate in Albany, with #48 (and the Dining Car) going to NYC and #448 going to Boston.

One more thing: If you haven't yet signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR), you should. If needed, send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address and I'll be glad to refer you to AGR.

The first time we rode in a Roomette - my wife and I were very amazed at how nice it was. You will be pleasantly surprised. It's the best use of space I have ever seen. Also - a huge window, and then a skylight above that. The two seats face each other, and there is ample room between the two seats. A drop down tray, reading lights, a sink, bottled water, even a toilet. Also a daily newspaper. Even a storage area for suitcases.

And your meals are included.

We found the roomette to be very quiet and a smooth ride... Like a nice private jet interior - only quieter. And perfect for watching a changing landscape - or just relaxing and reading. We saw deer and other wildlife, just a real vacation.

Thanks everyone for your input! I am so looking forward to the trip and will absolutely post a review about my trip. This is one of the most helpful forums on the internet.

-Mass Rider

I'm not sure if the car lineup is the same west bound as well as east bound, but heading east, the Boston section sleeping car is only one behind the engine after baggage. The engineer needed to be on the horn almost constantly through Ohio. (I think it was Ohio. It was dark.) I'd recommend ear plugs. On my next trip I'm planning on bringing a better pillow too. I found the mattress comfortable, but I was in the upper berth.

Edit: I read through the thread again, and see the_traveler says the Boston section is at the rear westbound. I was once in coach eastbound, and the horn noise didn't bother me being another two cars back from the sleeper, so being at the way back end should be quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back