Advice on checked baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljohn2030

Train Attendant
Hello All, Just a quick question about checked baggage:

The Darling Wife and I are taking a long distance ride from Reno via Zephyr to Chicago, then Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh, and then the Pennsylvanian to Harrisburg this summer. Checked bags are allowed on the Zephyr and Capitol Limited, but not the Pennsylvanian. Does this mean carry-ons for the whole trip, or check bigger bags for the first 2 legs - and then lug them around the Pennsylvanian for 5+ hours? Is there no baggage service at all on The Pennsylvanian? (perish the thought!). Thank you in advance!

Remember that trains have MUCH more space for baggage storage at your seat than planes do! Both the CZ and CL are Superliners and have a large open luggage rack on the lower level as well as above your seat, the Pennsylvanian is a single level train and has plenty of room in the luggage rack above your seat or at the end of the car.

That said, you could check them to PIttsburg and pick them up there between trains.

The Pennsylvanian does not offer checked baggage service, so the furthest you could check it would be to Pittsburgh. My concern with checking it for the eastbound trip is that if 30 is late they may be holding the train just for you to make the connection. If that's the case you may not have time to claim your bag unless you get some extra help from the Conductors and/or station personnel to expedite the process. In your situation, and with the Capitol's less than stellar timekeeping the last few months I would recommend carrying your bags on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back