Advice Needed: Quick Trip from ATL to NOL or WAS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! I think you’ll enjoy it a lot.  The trip over Lake Ponchatrain is 100% unique to the Crescent, that alone should make the trip worthwhile.  

The trip between Atlanta and Birmingham has some really nice classic southern railway scenery as well. 

While in New Orleans,  if you can try to ride the St. Charles line of the streetcars. That’s the line with the old green cars, they are the original Pearly Cars from the 1920’s and the St. Charles line is the oldest continually operating street railway in the us, it opened in 1835.  The streetcars run 24/7. 

I’ve been seated while still going over lake ponchatrain, other times I’ve been told breakfast begins after departing slidel. Either way that’s way earlier than 9 am. 
As with so many things about Amtrak, YMMV. When I took the Crescent northbound out of NOL about a year ago, no one was seated until after Slidell, and no food actually landed on tables until after 9AM. When I take the train next week, I'm going to arrange some sort of breakfast early AM, skip breakfast on the train, and head for an early lunch. 

While in New Orleans,  if you can try to ride the St. Charles line of the streetcars. That’s the line with the old green cars, they are the original Pearly Cars from the 1920’s and the St. Charles line is the oldest continually operating street railway in the us, it opened in 1835.  The streetcars run 24/7. 
You forgot to mention that one can catch the streetcar to the French Quarter every 30 minutes by going right at Union Station (to the right then curving away from the station) as you walk out the front door. It's the starting point of the trip.

And for seniors, the fare is $.70 (or was last year) but the operator will not tell you that no matter how old you look.

That’s not the st. Charles line though. But yes you can catch that line and connect to the St. Charles line while on Canal Street.  

Back