Advertising Wraps on Sightseer Lounges???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted this on the Capitol Limited #29 out of DC today at Rockville, MD (RKV):

Superliner Lounge Wrap by RyanCrierie, on Flickr

WHY WHY WHY?

Also, the CapLimited today was running quite long. I spotted no less than TWO lounges on this consist.
Now I am probably going to take a lot of crap for this, but I do not totally rule out wrap ads as a future revenue source for Amtrak; either as a step on the path to profitability, or a way to replace lost funding. It is not my preference, but think about it. Airlines, banks, etc. rely on ancillary income to make their bottom line viable. With airlines, its baggage fees, etc. With banks, its service charges on previously free services. Amtrak and its followers need to keep an open mind.

One can still see out the windows with the wraps on them. it's not like they are completely covered up.

peter

One can still see out the windows with the wraps on them. it's not like they are completely covered up.
However they do reduce the light transmission, plus mess with auto-focus cameras.

Aloha.

Last edited by a moderator:
There goes out the window Photos .. most cams AF hates the dirty ones now this .. Oy Vey

Leave My lounge alone ! Use the dining car if need be ...
Umm aren't folks over-reacting? That Sightseer Lounge was for Martina McBride special train, so it was wrapped in ad. Does it say anywhere that Amtrak is starting ad-wrapping SSL in normal revenue trains? Until they say that, we are good. But if and when they start doing that, including the windows, time to say bye bye to enjoyable train travel
sad.gif

Visible scenery is a huge part of what makes train travel appealing to me. Having the scenery tainted with colored crap over the window isn't very appealing to me and somewhat defeats the original purpose of the SSL in my view. Amtrak has decided that we can't have true domes. We can't have park cars. We can't have parlor cars on all but one solitary route. We can't even have clean and clear windows on most of the trains I ride. Adding wraps over windows is a bit of a slap in the face at this point. I would suggest they find ways to keep the windows as clear and clean as possible. I found VIA's exterior advertising to be ugly and in poor taste, but at least it never screwed with the on-board experience. So far the wraps have mainly been on commuter lines, but as budget cuts loom on the horizon it doesn't seem so absurd to worry about wraps becoming more common system-wide in the future.

The OU-Texas Heartland Flyer had special Red River Rivalry decals on the lower level windows as well as on the south end engine. It also carried a Sightseer Lounge for about a week but the Lounge had no added decor.

Did you notice any other wrapped cars in a dark black scheme? If so, the extra-long CL could just be deadheading the equipment for the Martina McBride special back to Chicago for continuation to Beech Grove, where the wrapping would be removed. Now, it's possible that this particular Sightseer may run in service with the wrap for a little while—looks like the pink ribbon is only obscuring a few of the windows. As for the other wrapped cars from the Martina train, I can't imagine that they'd put them straight into revenue service without removing the wrapping first.

Anyone remember the decorative wraps on the Viewliner sleeper from the former Twilight Shoreliner? Even though the route was mostly in darkness, I still hated those little dots over the windows.

Now I am probably going to take a lot of crap for this, but I do not totally rule out wrap ads as a future revenue source for Amtrak; either as a step on the path to profitability, or a way to replace lost funding. It is not my preference, but think about it. Airlines, banks, etc. rely on ancillary income to make their bottom line viable. With airlines, its baggage fees, etc. With banks, its service charges on previously free services. Amtrak and its followers need to keep an open mind.
Amtrak has has advertising wraps on trains before. I think it was last year, there was an Acela trainset with several cars with a Cake Boss ad wrap. This is not new.

However, advertising wraps on intercity trains is not going to be a significant revenue source. Advertisers pay for visibility and how many people might see the ads. Trains between cities frequently go on isolated routes or through industrial areas. Sure, some people will see the ads in stations and on trains moving pass them at 79 mph (or faster). But not very many will get a good look at the ad. Ads on the side of city buses going down streets get a lot more eyeballs. Ad wraps on commuter trains would probably get more eyeballs as the trains passes through multiple stations with full platforms in a more dense city suburb-urban environment.

Amtrak has had ad wraps before and probably has a sales department that offers them to advertisers. There has not been many ad wraps which I would take it to mean not very many advertisers find it worth their while to do so.

I'm OK with car wraps as long as windows aren't covered. Even on relatively short trips on CTA trains or buses here in Chicago, I get a headache if I look through a window with one of those half-tone screen patterns. I'm not sure I'd ride a long-distance train in a sleeper car or coach with wrapped windows.

However, I don't think I've ever seen an ad-wrapped bus, train or plane that compelled me to respond favorably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back