Adirondack boarding tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I will be taking the Adirondack from NYP to Montreal in 2 weeks and back to NYP a few days later. Although I have traveled on the Adirondack many years ago, I only traveled as far as Plattsburgh. I would appreciate any guidance as to when I should arrive at NYP for the northbound Adirondack. (I am Select Plus and will be able to wait in the Club Acela). Is boarding chaotic? Should I have a red cap assist me?

Conversely, any tips boarding in Montreal on the southbound leg? How early should I arrive at the station? Is boarding assistance available?

Thank you.

I would recommend using the porters in both NYP and Montreal - they are available in both locations and will guarantee you get first shot at seats. We sat on the left side out of Montreal and really enjoyed the views. I didn't see any need to arrive super early, but if you're not going to use the porter in Montreal, I would arrive around 45 minutes ahead of time. Passengers in Montreal do start lining up for boarding fairly early.

In NYP, boarding is usually right outside of the CA. (Even you could find it!
laugh.gif
) However, if you're going all the way to MTR, they do have a separate line where they check your Passport first, so plan for that line. But the good thing is the Adirondack has both AMI and AMII cars, and from NYP, they usually put everyone going to MTR in the AMII cars!
cool.gif

I have not returned from MTR in over 30 years when it left from Gare Windsor, so I don't know the procedure they use at Gare Central.

Penny,

Upon arrival at NYP, get your tickets if you don't already have them, and then hit that checkin line for the Canadian pre-screen. Just like you did last year with the Maple Leaf, they do the same thing for the Adirondack, where they check your travel documents (passport, passport card, etc) and give you special luggage tags. Then head for the Club Acela to await boarding. It's up to you, but I'd suggest asking in the lounge for a Redcap.

For your return, the VIA Rail Redcaps don't actually pre-board you. They pre-board your luggage only. They'll take your luggage, putting your big bags above the seat and a carry-on actually on the seat to hold the seat for you. But you still have to wait in the line to board, as that's when they hand out the declaration form. The Redcap will tell you which car he's putting your bags into, so when you get downstairs you just enter that car and look for your bag. And based upon my experience from last year, be prepared to tip dearly for that luggage pre-board.

Most Amtrak Redcaps seem pretty happy with whatever you tip them. I had the VIA Rail Redcap tell me that $4 CDN for 2 carryon's and 2 regular roller bags wasn't enough. Mind you I was still fishing for a bit more money when he told me that. But they don't seem to think it's fair unless you are tipping at least $2 per bag, even for a small light shoulder bag.

If you don't want to hand over your bags, then be prepared to get to the station at least 1 hour before departure if you want your pick of seats. We got there about 70 minutes before departure, but went for breakfast first in the station. When we first walked in, there were already at least a dozen people on line. Twenty minutes later there were at least 50 online.

Going north one gets to sit in the nicer Amfleet II cars which have more leg room, the calf rest, etc. But there is no WiFi in these cars. Going south they seem to seat everyone out of MTR in the Amlfeet I cars, which in theory will have WiFi once you're south of the border.

I just took the Adirondack from SDY to Port Kent last week (took the Maple Leaf up to SDY a hour earlier because I wanted to finally do a photo stop there since multi-city tickets are free). I was told to sit in one of the Amfleet-IIs at the back of the train it was virtually empty with just a couple people going up to Montreal, I didn't end up wondering beyond the cafe car to the three Amfleet-Is but it appears all the through travelers going North of the Boarder were assigned to those less comfortable cars.

I'll never forget my one time boarding in Montreal four years ago: I was getting picked up in Yonkers that evening (although I still had a ticket to Penn Station) and although I only got to the station 20 minutes before I was able to get a seat in a nice empty car (the intermediate car) while everyone else (over two and a half cars full) were crammed with every seat taken into the other 3 cars of the train. Probably would have been stuck riding the most scenic train on the east coast in an aisle seat if it wasn't for that. I didn't get a seat mate until Hudson or Rhinecliff!

Getting on in Penn Stations is easy (I've only ever come south of the boarder internationally on the Maple Leaf or Adirondack so I've never dealt with that podium). The train will leave from either tracks 5,6,7 or 8 (I belive) a choice of just two platforms since only those can reach the Empire Connection to head over the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and up the Hudson. If there's already a line for the gate just go downstairs to the Exit Corridor and board via the staircase there. I've done it all the time and have never gotten into any trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most issues have been covered so far. I would add that there are quite a few really nice food venues in and around the Gare. Their food is far superior to what is available on board. If you are travelling alone you will have to arrive even earlier if you wish to purchase food before you board, so that you do not lose your place in line. I would suggest you use a red-cap, even if they just board your luggage. Being relieved of your luggage will pay off when the starting gun fires for the unseemly stampede down the stairs. Also, the station is connected to the well-known network of underground shopping corridors (I think about 22 kilometres), so that if you are walking there and the weather is bad, you can walk in shelter. Hopefully, this time of year you will have great weather!

Just be sure to finish any food you bring aboad (either direction) before the border! Otherwise, the C&I will take it and dispose of it at the border!
sad.gif

Funny story not involving trains. My sister and BIL were returning home on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago. At O'Hare, my sister was "found" by one of the agricultural dogs to have an uneaten apple in her bag that she picked up at the airport lounge. They made her dispose of it before entering the US - because it came "from a foreign country"! The ironic part of the story ............. It was from Washington State!
laugh.gif

Also remember that you can change seats at anytime from the I's to the II's!
excl.gif
There are no car attendants on the Adirondack. Just be sure to move your seat check! I have moved to the II's every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be sure to finish any food you bring aboad (either direction) before the border! Otherwise, the C&I will take it and dispose of it at the border!
sad.gif

Funny story not involving trains. My sister and BIL were returning home on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago. At O'Hare, my sister was "found" by one of the agricultural dogs to have an uneaten apple in her bag that she picked up at the airport lounge. They made her dispose of it before entering the US - because it came "from a foreign country"! The ironic part of the story ............. It was from Washington State!
laugh.gif

Also remember that you can change seats at anytime from the I's to the II's!
excl.gif
There are no car attendants on the Adirondack. Just be sure to move your seat check! I have moved to the II's every time.
Thanks about the food heads up. I assume that unopened packaged food and drinks are ok. When I took the Maple Leaf to Toronto last year, I stuffed my face before reaching the border in order to finish all my opened food, however the woman sitting across the aisle had food with her that was not confiscated. Do you think Wasa Bread (similar to crackers) in a ziplock bag would be confiscated? I also bring sealed packets of Justin's peanut butter and cans of Zevia.

Also.... thanks for posting without making fun of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends on the item and sometimes the agent. (Just like Police, one may warn you for driving 80 in a 75 mph zone, while another gives you a ticket for driving 56 in a 55 zone!) And any meat is a no-no, unless it is Irish Sausage from Ireland!

So kind of like Amtrak, the rule is that sometimes there are no rules!
rolleyes.gif

Hmm, is the food confiscation at the border a recent thing? I travelled on the Adirondack about two and a half years ago and lots of people had brought food on board. I was glad we did, (muffins, bananas and water) other folks had all manner of things. Transport of food over borders was never mentioned by OBS or the Customs/Immigation officers. When departing from Montreal there is not really all that much time to eat before you reach the border, especially given the trip as a whole is a long day, you want food available over quite a long time, not just in the first hour or two. There was quite a long stay at Albany, and some people bought food there. Others queued for the restrooms, as the ones on the train were not so user-friendly by then. Of course, fruit and indeed lots of food can be a problem (forbidden) when travelling by air, especially internationally. Here in Australia, we cannot transport fruit, honey and other foods by car, train, plane, even interstate or at times within states, so I would have been ready for such a ban on the Adirondack if it was mentioned.

I'm really not sure, but the Cascades between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA clear customs in Vancouver prior to departure from Vancourver. You must consume any banned food prior to boarding the train! Otherwise, it will be confiscated before you board. (The departure gate is fenced in, and is considered US territory.)

I'm really not sure, but the Cascades between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA clear customs in Vancouver prior to departure from Vancourver..................................................... (The departure gate is fenced in, and is considered US territory.)
The fenced-in area encloses the pre-clearance area but is certainly is not considered "US Territory". Same goes for Cascades arrivals into Vancouver.......You are segregated until you pass through Canadian Customs and Border Services.

US CBP officials have very limited authority in Canada. Here's the Pre-Clearance Act:

http://laws-lois.jus...3/FullText.html

Even after clearing US Customs in Vancouver…….and until the train actually enters the US at Blaine, you are still fully protected under Canadian Charter Rights.

Getting on in Penn Stations is easy (I've only ever come south of the boarder internationally on the Maple Leaf or Adirondack so I've never dealt with that podium). The train will leave from either tracks 5,6,7 or 8 (I belive) a choice of just two platforms since only those can reach the Empire Connection to head over the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and up the Hudson. If there's already a line for the gate just go downstairs to the Exit Corridor and board via the staircase there. I've done it all the time and have never gotten into any trouble.
An earlier post indicated that you must line up to have your documents examined prior to boarding. IIRC, they then stamp your ticket indicating that. So do you get your ticket stamped, and then "sneak down" via the lower concourse, or do you simply forgo the examination? Doesn't the conductor notice that later, when they lift your ticket? If I am not mistaken, the carrier's must fax a manifest to the border with a list of names and possibly passport numbers to expedite the inspection. If you're not on the list, what then?

That can't be the reason. The passengers getting on the Adirondack in Hudson, Albany, Ft Edward, Port Kent or Plattsburgh do not go thru that procedure, so their names wouldn't be on the list sent fron NYP.

An earlier post indicated that you must line up to have your documents examined prior to boarding. IIRC, they then stamp your ticket indicating that. So do you get your ticket stamped, and then "sneak down" via the lower concourse, or do you simply forgo the examination? Doesn't the conductor notice that later, when they lift your ticket? If I am not mistaken, the carrier's must fax a manifest to the border with a list of names and possibly passport numbers to expedite the inspection. If you're not on the list, what then?
No tickets to stamp anymore, and they aren't stamping my iPhone!

The check is all about ensuring that you have the proper documentation/ID to cross the border. The conductors are required to do that checking for passengers who board at upline stations. The reason is that if the CBSA rejects you for their reasons, they have to pay to bring you back across the border to the US. However, if you show up without the proper documentation, then Amtrak must pay to have you brought back to the US.

Additionally, they would give you those special luggage tags for customs control. They'd place numbered stickers that correspond with the tags for your luggage on your ticket stub, this way if CBSA removed you from the train they could ensure that you took all of your bags with you and didn't leave something behind. I'm not sure what they'll do with those stickers now in the absence of real tickets to put them on, because again they aren't sticking them on my iPhone.

If I am not mistaken, the carrier's must fax a manifest to the border with a list of names and possibly passport numbers to expedite the inspection. If you're not on the list, what then?
That can't be the reason. The passengers getting on the Adirondack in Hudson, Albany, Ft Edward, Port Kent or Plattsburgh do not go thru that procedure, so their names wouldn't be on the list sent fron NYP.
Amtrak does indeed transmit the list of passengers to the border patrol, be it US or Canadian depending on which way the train is going. That list however is based upon the reservations in the computer at 5AM or so that morning. It's not based upon anything being done in the train stations along the way.

Perhaps now with eTicketing, Amtrak may revise the procedure even more transmitting at least through say Albany, those expected to cross the border. CBSA probably can't wait for the data from the stations further up the line however as they need time to vet things through the computers.

And no matter what, Amtrak will never be able to transmit real time data to the US patrol for the returning Maple Leaf, since the VIA rail crew working the Leaf from Toronto to the boarder will not have Amtrak's scanners.

Interesting. As you may have guessed, it has been a looong time since I've seen the boarding process at NYP....

Back then, documents were checked at a side window of the information booth, and tickets were stamped as such. Only those with tickets stamped were permitted past the boarding gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back