ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The penultimate ACS-64 delivery!

By the way, superstitions are not bogus. My wife and I were at the Final Four in Houston for Villanova. When VU beat Oklahoma in the semi's, our entire area agreed to wear the same clothes on Monday for the final against North Carolina - and I mean the EXACT same clothes. We all did. Villanova won. Just sayin'. ;)
To paraphrase Robert Duvall in "Apocalypse Now" bet your Section smelled like Victory!

Last edited by a moderator:
This superstitious stuff is just absolute bogus.
You are entitled to your opinions just as they are theirs.
Exactly. And if Amtrak wants to humor people by skipping an engine numbered 666, then it is within our right. Just like towers "skip" floor 13, and in China they skip floor 4. Whoever owns the property can do whatever they want.

This superstitious stuff is just absolute bogus.
You are entitled to your opinions just as they are theirs.
Exactly. And if Amtrak wants to humor people by skipping an engine numbered 666, then it is within our right. Just like towers "skip" floor 13, and in China they skip floor 4. Whoever owns the property can do whatever they want.
+1 No one complains about the fact that buildings frequently skip the 13th floor due to visitor wishes, the same should go with 666. I don't care that much but I know a lot of people I like and/or respect that would rather not have much to do with the number. It is a small gesture, but one that is noted. I think Amtrak was considerate to skip the number.

But back to the subject of the day. Is 670 it? I hope they find the money to buy a 671 if 601 is toast.

Trainorders has a photo of #670 standing outside the Siemens Sacramento facility today. So they are all done and the last one is apparently very close to ready to ship.
They should bring it over either on the EB, SWC or the TE - that will mess with the foamers out west (assuming there are any ACS-64 foamers out there). :p

Better yet - CS - SL - Crescent

Trainorders has a photo of #670 standing outside the Siemens Sacramento facility today. So they are all done and the last one is apparently very close to ready to ship.
They should bring it over either on the EB, SWC or the TE - that will mess with the foamers out west (assuming there are any ACS-64 foamers out there). :p
I second it through NOLA

I second it through NOLA
I don't think it is a good idea to send the last ACS-64 delivery through Louisiana or the Carolinas. Besides the extra pointless mileage, too much risk that someone will broadside it at a grade crossing. :huh:

I second it through NOLA
I don't think it is a good idea to send the last ACS-64 delivery through Louisiana or the Carolinas. Besides the extra pointless mileage, too much risk that someone will broadside it at a grade crossing. :huh:
Do you really think it's safer on the CZ. I mean, trucks have broadsided trains and what about that irrigation equipment jumping on the tracks just before the train got there. :D

I second it through NOLA
I third it through Atlanta, Georgia. :)

I'm interested to know. Has anyone taken any recent pictures of #627 or #601, or are they out of view for taking pictures?
Seriously? 601 is probably in some dark warehouse or somewhere with investigative parties.

Actually, they are coupled together outside Wilmington Shops. Anyone can see them from a passing train and anyone that enters the facility can walk right up to them, although the 601 is shrink wrapped.

What I fail to understand is why a recent picture is needed. Their appearances have not been altered. If you know what they looked like when they were towed to Wilmington, you know what they look like now.

I'm interested to know. Has anyone taken any recent pictures of #627 or #601, or are they out of view for taking pictures?
Seriously? 601 is probably in some dark warehouse or somewhere with investigative parties.

Actually, they are coupled together outside Wilmington Shops. Anyone can see them from a passing train and anyone that enters the facility can walk right up to them, although the 601 is shrink wrapped.

What I fail to understand is why a recent picture is needed. Their appearances have not been altered. If you know what they looked like when they were towed to Wilmington, you know what they look like now.
Bet there will be lots of pictures of them on or after 6/18. :lol: Unless they get moved before then.

So, to get back to the topic. #667 has presumably reached the east coast.

So that leaves 668, 669, 670. Anyone wanna bet on when 670 gets delivered? I'm going to bet after the first Viewliner dining car, but still in March. :)
Not yet. 667 was sighted in Chicago yesterday. It will likely land in WAS tomorrow.

The delivery schedule for the final few units is drawn out. If nothing changes, 670 is scheduled to ship out of Florin on 4/29, which means it'll end up on 6 (5/1).
It looks like something changed. Is there a new tentative schedule for 670?

... that leaves 668, 669, 670. Anyone wanna bet on when 670 gets delivered? I'm going to bet after the first Viewliner dining car, but still in March. :)
The delivery schedule for the final few units is drawn out. If nothing changes, 670 is scheduled to ship out of Florin on 4/29, which means it'll end up on 6 (5/1).
It looks like something changed. Is there a new tentative schedule for 670?
Fellas, please!

Neroden lost both parts of his bet -- no diner, and March is long gone.

And Fan Railer figured May1, which has also gone by.

As for the tentative schedule, unless CAF refuses to share it, I think we have that already:

"Expect delays".

At least that's a better delivery schedule than Nippon Sharyo can offer.

Hmm, maybe 670 will get here before the 18th and they can tack it on to the end of the AEM-7 Farewell train. :ph34r: :p

For those who are interested... Mr. Boardman and crew are on their way out to Sacramento via SWC to take delivery of the last unit.
I wasn't aware you could get to Sacramento on the Southwest Chief. Anything for the president, I guess.

SWC to lax, then special over tehapi pass to Oakland and Sacramento.
Not the way north from Los Angeles I would have guessed. Is there another reason for this trip than just the last ACS-64?

A schedule of events for the special has listed on the third post of this thread.

The Special Train will overnight in Modesto on the M&ET.
Tuesday afternoon, will go to Sacramento, overnight there for two nights.
Thursday June 2, to Oakland with the AMTK 670, the last Amtrak ACS-64.
Thursday June 4 to Denver on Train 6, AMTK 670 scheduled to come along.
Monday June 6, depart Denver on Train 6 to Chicago, same-day transfer of
the Company Service cars to the Cardinal, Train 50(7).
There are a couple things there that make me unsure about it. I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm of clarify. I'd like to send notices about the last ACS-64 early enough so some people can make plans.

Back