ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video by YouTube user mikeygaw, posted today but taken Friday, shows AMTK 660 on a Boston-to-D.C. test run.

I believe the omission of the triple-6 number is necessary since it ensures that no one will be "offended" and Amtrak will not lose money from something stupid like that. Just like the omission of the 13th floor.

I believe the omission of the triple-6 number is necessary since it ensures that no one will be "offended" and Amtrak will not lose money from something stupid like that. Just like the omission of the 13th floor.
How would they lose money? The vast majority of passengers don't have any idea what the engine number is nor do they care. And as others have mentioned there is a train numbered 666.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chapter 13, even. Now that's spooky.
Superstitious nonsense!
On that we agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup. If 13 were that unlucky then the US has got to be the unluckiest country in the world, having started with 13 colonies, and till today with 13 stripes on its flag. Also the great seal of the United States has the following occurrences of the number 13:

Wikipedia said:
On the Seal’s observe, the overhead glory bears thirteen stars. The chest shield in front of the spread eagle bears thirteen stripes (seven white and six red). In the eagle’s right talon, it holds the Olive Branch of Peace, bearing thirteen olives and thirteen olive leaves. In the eagle’s left talon, it holds the Weapons of War, consisting of thirteen arrows. In the eagle’s mouth, it holds a scroll bearing the national motto “E Pluribus Unum” (which, by coincidence, consists of thirteen letters). On the Seal’s reverse, the unfinished pyramid consists of thirteen levels.

I have taken train 666 a couple of times from HAR to PHL--it is a Keystone on the weekends, a nice midday run along a river and past farms--and nothing weird happened.

I might not be so worried about the passengers on board, but rather those along the side of the tracks or at the station that see the locomotive pass by and say "Oh no, they're on the demon train!" - or something else rather outlandish like that...

Train 666 on the Keystone does not exactly make it obvious to those just watching it pass by that it has that number - the average non-railfan viewer has no idea what the train number is most of the time, unless its arrival is announced at a station. And anyone who is riding train number 666 has choices of other trains to ride on at other times if they are not comfortable riding 666.

... the omission of the triple-6 number is necessary since it ensures that no one will be "offended" and Amtrak will not lose money from something stupid like that.
Yes. Sadly, the current Congress includes a number of, well, nut cases if you ask me. The kind of nut cases who seem to think they get messages directly from God thru the vibrations of their dental fillings, or something. So if one of those wackos heard a voice from God saying that something was wrong with Amtrak flaunting the number 666, well, Amtrak has enuff problems from the crazies in and out of Congress as it is.

I realize we are just joking around here guys, and I get it, but the book of Revelation is a very serious matter. It accurately predicts events which have yet to take place, and when the beast actually does come into this world one day - be it tomorrow or hundreds of years from now - it will certainly not be a laughing matter. Kidding around is one thing (and superstition is just silly), but some people openly mock the word of God, and that crosses a line.

More pertinent for our discussions, perhaps, is found in the book of Isaiah Chapter 1 verse 6:

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

No, that doesn't refer to a 'train' on tracks, of course. Still, the thought suits most of us here quite well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize we are just joking around here guys, and I get it, but the book of Revelation is a very serious matter. It accurately predicts events which have yet to take place, and when the beast actually does come into this world one day - be it tomorrow or hundreds of years from now - it will certainly not be a laughing matter. Kidding around is one thing (and superstition is just silly), but some people openly mock the word of God, and that crosses a line.

More pertinent for our discussions, perhaps, is found in the book of Isaiah Chapter 1 verse 6:

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

No, that doesn't refer to a 'train' on tracks, of course. Still, the thought suits most of us here quite well!
As George Bernard Shaw had one of the characters in his play Man and Superman say "Forgive him Rufio, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature" ;)

I have taken train 666 a couple of times from HAR to PHL--it is a Keystone on the weekends, a nice midday run along a river and past farms--and nothing weird happened.
That's because you didn't ride it on a Friday the 13th. That's when it gets really freaky.
It certainly would be, Ryan, considering it doesn't run on Fridays! :p
Well at least Saturday the 13th then. In Indian mythology Saturday - the day of Saturn has some definite negative connotations :p

That's because you didn't ride it on a Friday the 13th. That's when it gets really freaky.
It certainly would be, Ryan, considering it doesn't run on Fridays! :p
Well at least Saturday the 13th then. In Indian mythology Saturday - the day of Saturn has some definite negative connotations :p
Hey, MRD, February has a Saturday the 13th. Do you have a trip planned on the Keystone?

Does anyone know of any reasons why the ACS-64's have LED headlights and ditch lights?

I heard that LED's can't throw a beam like Halogen lights.

Also I heard they can't generate heat to melt ice and snow off the light covers.

The biggest reason to switch to LEDs is a cost savings. LEDs cost less to power, last longer & are less likely to break.

LEDs do put off heat, just not nearly as much as Halogens (as a standard light-bulb halogens put off one of the most). As for melting of ice, I don't really think that's much of an issue. Trains still use standard incandescent bulbs which wouldn't melt ice as much a halogen.

As for brightness, it really depends. Lenses, number of diodes, etc can make either one cast more or less light. For a headlight, LEDs have a slight advantage where they are more directional naturally so you loose less light right off the bat from castings to the side & back of the bulb/diode.

But in the end the LED lights used had to be able to meet the FRA standards; otherwise they wouldn't be used.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back