Across the USA and back by train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
In a few weeks my wife and I will be (in) training from Vancouver BC to NYC and back. We will be in rooms all the way (from Seattle) and would like to hear from recent travelers who have made the same journey. I've read reviews that rated their experiences either very good or very poor. Most of them are dated so I'd like some fresh words on this exciting adventure.

Thanks in advance.

SG

Skyguy,

Since this is more of a question than a trip report, I'm going to move this over to the Amtrak Discussion forum where you'll get many more responses than in this forum. :)

From what you've said so far, I'm assuming you're taking the Empire Builder to Chicago, then continuing on the Lake Shore Limited to New York.

Our most recent trip on the Empire Builder was last September, and it was great. The service was great, the bedrooms were great, the car attendants were great, and the meals were... well... Amtrak.

Our most recent trip on the Lake Shore Limited was this Februrary, and the service was great, the bedrooms were great, the car attendants were great, and the meals were... well... Amtrak.

I'd give an A to the Empire Bulder, and an A to the Lakeshore Limited. And I'm not complaining about the meals. There's just so much that Amtrak can do with the space they have to work with, and the limited staff that budget constrictions place on the staffing of the diners.

All-in-all, both trips were very enjoyable, and we're going to take both trips again soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope that your eastbound trip used different trains than your westbound trip.

One way might be the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore Limited (as suggested above)

The other way might be the Lakeshore Limited (again) the Southwestern Chief and the Coastal Starlight.

While you're going you certainly should have fun :D

In a few weeks my wife and I will be (in) training from Vancouver BC to NYC and back. We will be in rooms all the way (from Seattle) and would like to hear from recent travelers who have made the same journey. I've read reviews that rated their experiences either very good or very poor. Most of them are dated so I'd like some fresh words on this exciting adventure.
If you're taking the Empire Builder, you might find this thread useful: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=31499

I don't want to rain on the Amtrak parade....I did the Empire Builder in 2008 and it was fabulous I did the Lakeshore Limited and California Zephyr just last month and both were great, even in the snowy winter. Like I said, I don't want to rain on Amtrak's parade, but why not take the Maple Leaf from New York to Toronto and return to Vancouver on The Canadian? Check out VIAs website - especially the sleepers and menus information - if you haven't already done so. One way USA and the other Canada would give you a good chance to compare and contrast the two services AND would make for a terrific trip report for the rest of us. Whatever you do, wherever you go, BON VOYAGE!

I sure hope that your eastbound trip used different trains than your westbound trip.
One way might be the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore Limited (as suggested above)

The other way might be the Lakeshore Limited (again) the Southwestern Chief and the Coastal Starlight.

While you're going you certainly should have fun :D
Empire Builder and Lakeshore both directions

I don't want to rain on the Amtrak parade....I did the Empire Builder in 2008 and it was fabulous I did the Lakeshore Limited and California Zephyr just last month and both were great, even in the snowy winter. Like I said, I don't want to rain on Amtrak's parade, but why not take the Maple Leaf from New York to Toronto and return to Vancouver on The Canadian? Check out VIAs website - especially the sleepers and menus information - if you haven't already done so. One way USA and the other Canada would give you a good chance to compare and contrast the two services AND would make for a terrific trip report for the rest of us. Whatever you do, wherever you go, BON VOYAGE!
IMHO that is one heck of a cool idea!! :rolleyes:

How do the fares compare and can one use frequent flier miles (AGR) or such on VIA??

It seems pretty expensive last time I checked. It could easily get in the $1,000's for just a 2-3 day trip in sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back