Acela - Your Experiences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone.

I've been on Acela four times so far from New Haven to DC, 1st class each time. It was on-time, every time. Really enjoy it.

On the first ride (with my father's ashes destined for Arlington...he always wanted to ride the Acela) Walter Cronkite got on at NYP. He detrained at BMI, I said "hello" to him and he said "hello" back. He was pretty feeble at the time but the tone of the "hello" was all Walter.

Second time, Harry Reid got on at NYP with Secret Service entourage.

Third and fourth times, nobody I knew.

Service was excellent. On the second trip, I had to ask for the table seat for the four of us that the two 1st class attendants were using, got a glare, but they complied and we got along famously after that. Had some long chats with them about Amtrak and such. Last trip, service was so-so but not bad.

Just as an aside, it's a real treat for us to go 1st class (thank you AGR!) and we are NOT the demanding types, we just go with the flow.

Hi Everyone.

I've been on Acela four times so far from New Haven to DC, 1st class each time. It was on-time, every time. Really enjoy it.

On the first ride (with my father's ashes destined for Arlington...he always wanted to ride the Acela) Walter Cronkite got on at NYP. He detrained at BMI, I said "hello" to him and he said "hello" back. He was pretty feeble at the time but the tone of the "hello" was all Walter.

Service was excellent. On the second trip, I had to ask for the table seat for the four of us that the two 1st class attendants were using, got a glare, but they complied and we got along famously after that. Had some long chats with them about Amtrak and such. Last trip, service was so-so but not bad.

Just as an aside, it's a real treat for us to go 1st class (thank you AGR!) and we are NOT the demanding types, we just go with the flow.
:hi: Hope you're a member of AGR so you are getting points (750 for FC)for these Acela trips! (If not, send me a PM with your e-mail, Ill be glad to refer you :D and well each get 500 Bonus points long as you take another trip within 90 days of signing up!)

I have ridden the Acela in both FC and BC,(as well as their predecessors, the MetroLiners), always enjoy the ride and the service is usually great in FC!When Joe Biden was in the Senate I rode several times in his car from WIL-DC, nice guy for sure! Also saw several other famous persons, media/showbiz and Political types! However the Regionals are almost as fast overall, more frequent, and for sure cost ALOT less! If one is Wealthy, or their travel is paid for by business, then FC Acela is the way to go on the NEC!! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on several Acela trips. I have taken First Class and Business Class and

thought both were excellent. The service and meals in First Class are excellent.

I find the Business Class seats are a bit tight, but far superior to airline seats.

One time when I rode in FC on Acela I had the interesting experience of riding with Lynn Cheney and her Secret Service entourage, who took up a good third of the car. When we got to the final destination of WAS and everyone was ready to detrain, the crew made an announcement that they were having trouble opening the doors and to please be patient. Well, the doors were working fine, as observed from the FC car. The announcement was made so that Amtrak Police could detrain the then Second Lady ahead of the general public and provide her with a golf cart ride to her awaiting motorcade.

During another memorable experience - does anyone remember the year that Venessa Carlton performed at National Train Day in WAS? - probably not the highlight of NTD for most of you on this board but come on, I know some of you remember. Well anyway, during this year, I was ticketed in FC on the Acela leaving WAS after the NTD events had ended. Ms. Carlton was on this train as well. She was seated in FC but apparently she was ticketed for BC. This resulted in a whole bunch of drama between her and the first class attendants and then ultimately the conductor who ultimately kicked her out into BC. This seemed a little ridiculous to me. Yes, I know there are rules but sometimes you have to use some discretion. Judging by the way Ms. Carlton stormed out of FC, I doubt she'll become an Amtrak repeat customer or advocate.

Oh Acela First Class...There have been many other interesting experiences... think "open bar" enroute to NYP on New Years Eve.

The first time I rode Acela was on 9-11-01. We boarded in the mid-morning in Providence on our way to Boston for the day (vacation). When we reached South Station, half of Boston was there trying to get out of town. Slightly ruined our vacation, but it was a nice train ride. The conductor let me sit in his seat and snapped this picture while doing 121 MPH.

Acela.jpg

Three Acela trips so far from PHL to WAS always in business class. For a two hour trip I could not justify spending the extra $100 each way for FC but the trip was enjoyable and the WIFI worked decenlt. There were wifi dead spots notably in PHL, BAL and viewing Netflix movie vids is not allowed. Strangely the regional trains only take 10 minutes longer than the Acela. They cost 1/3 the price and I sometimes wonder if the Acela is really worth it.

I've taken the Acela from WAS to NYP in both FC (once) and BC. Service has always been great and it has always been on time. When traveling solo, as I did in FC, I could get spoiled in a real hurry by the single seats in FC! I've driven, taken the bus, flown and sailed to NYC from the DC area, but the only time I arrived as relaxed and rested as AEFC was the time I sailed.

I do AE frequently and use FC. Love the experience. My boarding points are PHL and RTE or BOS. Use the Clubacela in BOS and PHL all the time! Well worth it! Tip the attendants all the time. Tip them well. They earn it!

If I may be picky, it is unlikely that Senator Reid would have had Secret Service protection. The US Secret Service serves the executive branch. Senator Reid would most likely would have plain clothes US Capitol Police officers who provide the protection for Capitol Hill and the legislative branch. Separation of powers and all that.

As for the Acela, I have taken it in BC between WAS and NYP a number of times in the past several years. Took the Acela all the way from WAS to BOS on a personal trip several months ago.

Took it FC once - using a free upgrade - back from NYP to WAS. First Class was fine with the dinner and the free drinks. Personally, if I'm paying out of my own pocket, I doubt if I would bother with FC. The leg room and seats in BC are satisfactory for me. Acela BC beats the heck out of the economy class seating sardine can squeeze on domestic airline flights these days, that's for sure.

Given the extra ticket price bump, wonder how much of the Acela revenue is from the FC cars? Certainly appears to be a successful premium service for Amtrak.

I find it interesting that so many people are saying acela is so much more expensive than the NER. YES, it is, at the low bucket, but if one is trying to travel during certain high travel periods, the acela actually ends up being cheaper or the same price, especially last minute. For example, I am going to NYP tomorrow and originally booked a regional train southbound at $43 and the acela home at $115. I was feeling cheap so was thinking about changing my northbound ticket to the regional. But I couldn't find anything close to $43 - all the regionals during the time I was looking at were over $100.

I have been very fortunate to ride the acela in FC three times roundtrip already this year, thanks to upgrade coupons. I have another trip tomorrow! I particularly have found that the crew on the 2252 on Sunday are very good. It is generally the same two women and I really like them.

Hi Everyone.

:hi: Hope you're a member of AGR so you are getting points (750 for FC)for these Acela trips! (If not, send me a PM with your e-mail, Ill be glad to refer you :D and well each get 500 Bonus points long as you take another trip within 90 days of signing up!)

I have ridden the Acela in both FC and BC,(as well as their predecessors, the MetroLiners), always enjoy the ride and the service is usually great in FC!When Joe Biden was in the Senate I rode several times in his car from WIL-DC, nice guy for sure! Also saw several other famous persons, media/showbiz and Political types! However the Regionals are almost as fast overall, more frequent, and for sure cost ALOT less! If one is Wealthy, or their travel is paid for by business, then FC Acela is the way to go on the NEC!! :excl: :excl: :excl:
I'm an AGR member, 33k points plus!

If I may be picky, it is unlikely that Senator Reid would have had Secret Service protection. The US Secret Service serves the executive branch. Senator Reid would most likely would have plain clothes US Capitol Police officers who provide the protection for Capitol Hill and the legislative branch. Separation of powers and all that.

As for the Acela, I have taken it in BC between WAS and NYP a number of times in the past several years. Took the Acela all the way from WAS to BOS on a personal trip several months ago.

Took it FC once - using a free upgrade - back from NYP to WAS. First Class was fine with the dinner and the free drinks. Personally, if I'm paying out of my own pocket, I doubt if I would bother with FC. The leg room and seats in BC are satisfactory for me. Acela BC beats the heck out of the economy class seating sardine can squeeze on domestic airline flights these days, that's for sure.

Given the extra ticket price bump, wonder how much of the Acela revenue is from the FC cars? Certainly appears to be a successful premium service for Amtrak.
I didn't know that re: US Secret Service/Capitol Police. I assumed they were Secret Service but thanks!

Yes - that is true - he travels with a compliment of US Capital Police. Either in uniform, or usually in plainclothes. And his security team also includes rooftop sharpshooters, who may travel separately (late model Suburbans with DC plates). Thus if he speaks at a hotel, the sharpshooters are positioned in place on the rooftop. Their SWAT uniforms also imitate the look of the White House, Secret Service sharpshooters. So it is easy to confuse them as Secret Service. The DC tags on their Suburbans identify them as "US Capitol Police".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back