Acela or NER BC with a 8 year old

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nccb

Train Attendant
Hi - traveling w my 8 year old son from Washington Union to NY Penn station in about a month and have transferred points over to AGR to redeem for a free trip. I'm wondering - should I select BC on NER (13K points) or BC on Acela (16K points)? This 3K points is only about $30 in redemption $$ so seems worth it if there's something to go for on the Acela. If they are literally equal then I can put the 3K points to something else I guess.

I've looked at the other threads and see some lean one way, some lean the other. I see the Acela takes about 30 min shorter.

Will my kid think the Acela's "cooler"? I've just never been on these trains before, only been on a sleeper from Chicago out west.

Will business folks on the Acela be annoyed by a kid? My kid should be fine with a book or ipad and won't be annoying, but I realize some business folks can be moody.

What do others think?

For the 3K points I'd go with the Acela in FC! You'll both get fed a halfway decent meal and those over 21 get Alcoholic drinks .

Also snag one of the Two Seaters with a table so as to enjoy your food,drinks and devices!

You also get to use the Club Acelas in WAS and NYP, definitely worth it IMO.

This is a trip the kid will really like and remember!

No, the 16K points gets me 2x Business Class tickets on Acela (8K apiece). To get up to first class, it would be 24K (12K apiece).

Business class on NER is 13K (6500 apiece).

Not sure I want to burn 11K points to get First Class on Acela, unless it's going to be just that awesome. I can use the 11K points to nearly buy airfare for one of us on the way back from NY.

Sorry I misread your post! The Regular Regional in Biz Class is OK, you have to decide if the Food and Drink and the use of the CAs in WAS and NYP is worth the points!

Acela FC is nice, but it's not "awesome!" That would be riding True HSR in other countries like France and China and Japan!

Your call!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also snag one of the Two Seaters with a table so as to enjoy your food,drinks and devices!
Riding the Acela 1st Class in 2 weeks (WAS - BOS).
What is this "Two Seater" to which you refer?
That's just 2 seats together George, as opposed to the Seats that face each other. Acela FC has 2x1,Seating/BC has 2x2 Seating.
And some of the Single seats face each other,in some you see the seat back in front of you!

I dont like riding "backwards", YMMV!

Edited to clarify post that was in error, there is no Four Seaters! Senior moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding the Acela 1st Class in 2 weeks (WAS - BOS).
What is this "Two Seater" to which you refer?
That's just 2 seats together George, as opposed to the Four Seater with table that Biz types use to "work" while on the train!

I dont like riding "backwards", YMMV!
Ah. I was thinking that the single seats in FC are reversible - but that wouldn't work with the trays, etc.

Duh...

That's what D4 and I will shoot for. Thanks.

Hi - traveling w my 8 year old son from Washington Union to NY Penn station in about a month and have transferred points over to AGR to redeem for a free trip. I'm wondering - should I select BC on NER (13K points) or BC on Acela (16K points)?
If it was just adults I'd suggest the NER. The speed and service are surprisingly similar between BC on NER and BC on the Acela. However, for the sake of your son I would strongly recommend choosing the Acela.

I've looked at the other threads and see some lean one way, some lean the other. I see the Acela takes about 30 min shorter. Will my kid think the Acela's "cooler"? I've just never been on these trains before, only been on a sleeper from Chicago out west.
Even though it may not represent true high speed rail at least the Acela looks the part. Riding the Acela would be a far more aesthetically pleasing experience than the seriously outdated and unimaginative look of Amtrak's NER. The only reason I'd recommend the NER over the Acela was if your son preferred abandoned factories and warehouses over sports cars and jet aircraft.

Will business folks on the Acela be annoyed by a kid? My kid should be fine with a book or ipad and won't be annoying, but I realize some business folks can be moody. What do others think?
In my experience people in the North East can be seriously annoyed by almost anything. That being said I think the fact that you're even asking about this is a good sign. I think most folks will be able to tolerate a child who is genuinely excited about riding a train. Once upon a time that may have been any of us long ago. I would think loud noises or excessive out of seat exploration would be the dividing line.

Hasn't the term "high speed rail" been abandoned in this country? Acela at 150 max speed is well below the high speed performance in other countries, unfortunately. "Higher speed rail" seems to have been adopted as the correct term, no?

All I'm saying is that BC on Acela do not get any of the extras that you used to get with BC on a Regional. And BC on an Acela is the lowest class offered on Acela, like coach is the lowest class offered on a Regional.

I took my grandson and his mother to BOS from WAS on Acela FC when he was 7 and again when he was 8. He enjoyed it both times. He. Is a bigger train nut then I am. We returned to NYP on the NER using BC that was nice also. BC on the NER is not crowded like the coach and the car attendent brought us soft drinks and newspaper to our seats. The restrooms were kept clean and fresh.

All I'm saying is that BC on Acela do not get any of the extras that you used to get with BC on a Regional. And BC on an Acela is the lowest class offered on Acela, like coach is the lowest class offered on a Regional.
Considering that Acela BC will get 25% bonus TQP in the new AGR I'd respectfully submit that it is not like Coach, lowest class on a train or not. ;)

Back