Acela Express Sighting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
I was mildly surprised today as I walked down to NYP track #10 to board Metroliner #2250 to Boston. A quick trip to take advantage of a double point AGR offer for using Metroliner's between June 15th and July 15th.

To my surprise, sitting on track #9 was Acela Trainset #20, with power car #2026 heading up the train. I can only hope that this was a test run for the new brakes. There were no passengers onboard the train and I did note that the nose cone on the power car was open, so it is possible that it was towed into Penn.

Either way, it was still nice to see an Acela someplace other than the yard. :)

On another forum I read, a saw a picture, of several sets sitting in a yard near Providence. The comment was made that the graffi people were after them, too.

MrFSS said:
On another forum I read, a saw a picture, of several sets sitting in a yard near Providence. The comment was made that the graffi people were after them, too.
When I was last in Boston, back in May, there were indeed 4 or 5 trainsets sitting in that yard just north of PVD.

I was going to look for them coming up, but got distracted by something else and missed that yard totally. So I don't know if any sets are still in there. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow on the way home.

I actually saw trainset 11 on June 18th at NYP, much in the same fashion you did Alan, no Passengers, cone open. The good news is (for those who don't know) that two sets are slated to return to service on monday. Here's the post from Trainorders and the Yahoo! Amtrak group from Gene Poon:

> Two Acela Trainsets are set to go into service this Monday

> substituting for Metroliners.

>

> The trains are 2102 and 2107 the 7am departures from NY and Wash.

>

> They will turn for 2123 the 3pm from NY and 2120 the 4pm from

Viewliner said:
I actually saw trainset 11 on June 18th at NYP, much in the same fashion you did Alan, no Passengers, cone open. The good news is (for those who don't know) that two sets are slated to return to service on monday. Here's the post from Trainorders and the Yahoo! Amtrak group from Gene Poon:

> Two Acela Trainsets are set to go into service this Monday

>

>

> They will turn for 2123 the 3pm from NY and 2120 the 4pm from
Cool. B)

Per a post on another board:

> Two Acela Trainsets are set to go into service this Monday 7/11

>

>

> They will turn for 2123 the 3pm from NY and 2120 the 4pm from Wash.

AlanB said:
MrFSS said:
On another forum I read, a saw a picture, of several sets sitting in a yard near Providence.  The comment was made that the graffi people were after them, too.
When I was last in Boston, back in May, there were indeed 4 or 5 trainsets sitting in that yard just north of PVD.

I was going to look for them coming up, but got distracted by something else and missed that yard totally. So I don't know if any sets are still in there. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow on the way home.
Four Acela trainsets still sit in that yard just north of Providence, I saw them today on my return from Boston on 2253.

So it would appear that Amtrak is taking their time to get the fleet operational. The attendant on the train did confirm Gene's report, that two set will be in operation tomorrow.

Forgive me for not adding this earlier,(I dont like using this machine very much), But while on board train # 19 On May 29 th, heared something on my scanner regaurding a TEST train, an ACELA flew by!!!!. This would have made good news back then at the end of May, ohps!! Forgive me for not posting the news then, But been very busy call my senitors in DC. Rep Sue Myrick is one of those EVIL ones who voted for the 100mill to go to the homeless.

take care and take trains!

Amtrak Advisory came out today with details of Acela's returning as consists are repaired.! :lol:

Alstrom has found a new manufacturer to make a "redesigned" disc and enough have been delivered to insert the trainsets back into the schedule after repairs!

Considering the defect, I think everyone did a great job in a short time to find a remedy! :D

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
Considering the defect, I think everyone did a great job in a short time to find a remedy! :D
MJ B)
No arguement there Joe. Especially consider what the consequences could have been, had the defect not been found by inspection.

Now the real question is, will Amtrak restore First Class service to it's original level. In addtion to Robert's post about cuts, and my experiences in Metroliner First Class with the diminished food quality, the attendant on my train told me that Amtrak is considering not returning to the former vendor for Acela FC food.

That would mean inferior quality food, unless some form of upgrading is done with the present Amtrak comisary services. But I for one as a first class passenger don't consider a sandwich in plastic wrap a proper meal for someone paying $55 or more for the extra service.

Back