Account Wierdness Amtrak/AGR Websites and iPhone App

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C855B

Service Attendant
Both amtrak.com and the AGR regular sites do not recognize my account ID and password, and the "send password reset to e-mail" doesn't send anything. However, I can log-in just fine on the iPhone app.

But wait, there's more... after logging-in on the phone, I try to add our upcoming trip to list, and get:

Error
This reservation cannot be displayed due to how the ticket was purchased or the payment method used. We are working to expand what reservations can be displayed in this app. [R415]​

My edu-guess is apparently "last hurrah" trips under the old AGR points system do not fully transfer forward into the new reservation system. At least it barfs knowing that something is there but it can't deal with it. I guess we have to be doubly-certain we have the paper e-ticket on hand, 'cause I sure can't use the phone as our ticket on this trip. Somewhat understandable, if a bit annoying.

I'll try logging into amtrak.com again in a few minutes. If I have no luck there, then another [sigh] phone call to Amtrak CS.

Also, I had to use a different email for my AGR account because I was not getting emails. For some reason emails were not getting through to my att account (and just found out that another website's emails were lost in cyberspace for the same unknown reason).

Yes. On amtrak.com and AGR I tried both the number and e-mail, and both passwords for each (which were different before they were force-merged by Amtrak). The e-mail account works, I just tested it from a different account on a different server (I'm a retired system administrator and keep multiple accounts).

That the login went through first time with the app leads me to believe there is a problem at amtrak.com.

Ah... two password reset request e-mails just popped-up, after a half-hour lag. OK... testing...

No, the links crapped out as "bad", directing me to call CS at the 800 number. I'm going to try one more time on the reset request, and if that fails I guess we get to talk to a human being.

Aha! It's Amtrak! At least on the log-in problem.

I called AGR CS and the agent confirmed that I wasn't the first to call with the issue. She tried sending a reset e-mail from there and it still hasn't appeared.

So I'll give it until tomorrow for their IT staff to resolve, and try again.

Received the e-mail resets from the agent just a couple of minutes ago, and they resolved. The system seems to be working normally and I was able to reset my account and do everything I needed to do. So all's good there.

Trip info on the iPhone? Nope. Still won't let me link to a valid reservation under an old AGR booking. At least it let me log in under the new password.

Oh, well.

Received the e-mail resets from the agent just a couple of minutes ago, and they resolved. The system seems to be working normally and I was able to reset my account and do everything I needed to do. So all's good there.

Trip info on the iPhone? Nope. Still won't let me link to a valid reservation under an old AGR booking. At least it let me log in under the new password.

Oh, well.
I was able to pull up an old program AGR reservation on the iPhone app. I had to enter the reservation number (PNR) and the associated email. It found it and loaded it on the app.

Interesting. It still won't do it for me. For grins I logged out of the app, rebooted the phone, made sure it was the current app... and still get the error message. Did your reservation include sleepers?

Interesting. It still won't do it for me. For grins I logged out of the app, rebooted the phone, made sure it was the current app... and still get the error message. Did your reservation include sleepers?
Yes. It includes sleepers. The info does not stick in the app. I have to re-find it each time the app opens from the main screen. Also, I got the dreaded login error message this morning, but was able to get in. I saved a screenshot of the eTicket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It includes sleepers. The info does not stick in the app. I have to re-find it each time the app opens from the main screen. Also, I got the dreaded login error message this morning, but was able to get in. I saved a screenshot of the eTicket.
This is what I do - save a copy of the eTicket from the email. I usually use a printed out copy of the ticket, but like to have an electronic copy on my phone...just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the PDF on my phone now, so we're covered there. Thanks for the tip. Amtrak app still barfs on it with the R415 error. I have another reservation - a simple single leg on a Surfliner - and it posted to the trip list without issue.

I'm wondering if some of the problem is the trip is LD + Surfliner. I ran into a bit of trouble booking the trip originally since it seems the reservation system doesn't handle Amtrak LD to Amtrak California connections very well. It forced us into a connection situation that backtracks quite a bit even though both trains stop at the junction point.

I have the PDF on my phone now, so we're covered there. Thanks for the tip. Amtrak app still barfs on it with the R415 error. I have another reservation - a simple single leg on a Surfliner - and it posted to the trip list without issue.

I'm wondering if some of the problem is the trip is LD + Surfliner. I ran into a bit of trouble booking the trip originally since it seems the reservation system doesn't handle Amtrak LD to Amtrak California connections very well. It forced us into a connection situation that backtracks quite a bit even though both trains stop at the junction point.
Funny thing, mine is also LD to Surfliner!

I have never had a problem booking between LD and Amtrak California.

The problem we had was booking CHI to SAN changing trains in FUL. The AGR agent could not make it work, it forced the change at LAX.

The reservations side of this trip is a little snake-bit. Here's hoping the reality is better.

Yeah, not sure changing at Fullerton is a normal option going TO San Diego. I prefer to change in LA since they now how the lounge.

I know on the return trip a change at Fullerton was offered.

I guess we have to be doubly-certain we have the paper e-ticket on hand, 'cause I sure can't use the phone as our ticket on this trip.
Even when I can display my ticket on my phone, I worry that I won't have wi-fi or even cell coverage when I want' to present the ticket. So I import the eTicket to local storage on my phone. Works every time.

I do this with any information I might need on a trip, including Google map directions, hotel reservations, etc.

PS I'm no phone guru any any means; and I'm there there a better ways to do it..

Back