Abq to SAN and back alive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
Got into my apartment at about 1:30 PM yesterday, Friday. Exhausted

from all that train riding, plus running all over during my week in San Diego.

The train out of Albuquerque was to leave at 4:45 PM on 12/20 but due to

a blizzard the two days before departure it left at 11:45 PM that night.

I did a lot of sitting in the Amtrak station and on the train. Next time, if there is one,

I'll need a foam cushion like folks use in wheelchairs. My butt's numb. :giggle:

Spent a lot of money. Had a lot of fun, but I knew it was time to come home

when my ex-wife stopped feeding me.

Will post more info tomorrow.

First, let me say I'm thankful none of the horror stories I've read in this and other forums happened to me. The Amtrak employees at the stations in Albuquerque, L.A., and San Diego were very friendly and helpful. (Kudos especially to Yogi in SAN) Second, all the train rest rooms I "visited" were clean and well supplied.

The 4:45 PM SWC out of ABQ left at approximately 11:45 PM, due to delays caused by a blizzard which hit New Mexico and southern Colorado two days before my departure. The ABQ station shares it's space with Greyhound, and the station was overflowing with many Amtrak passengers waiting for the #3 and #4, as well as bus passengers whose buses had been delayed or cancelled. All seats in the waiting area were occupied, folks were standing, some lying on the floor. One hallway near the bus gates had cots, with people asleep on them. Thankfully a couple men stood up and offered me their chair. (I often tell people that I moved back to ABQ when I retired because it's the friendliest place I've found, having lived/worked from Maine to Florida to California and points in between)

Being negligent, I only got the names of two conductors, both on the #3. Joseph greeted us in ABQ after hours of delay. His polite, friendly yet professional manner...along with a little humor, quickly calmed the surly, impatient horde. He did everything possible to make us comfortable and happy to be on our way. Closer to L.A. a man named Chris took over and visited the lower level several times to make sure we were doing OK.

Another conductor whose name I didn't get (an older African-American woman) was like a mother hen to us on the #4 leaving LAX. Not only did she stop in to check on us, she spent some time engaging various passengers with conversation and offers of help if needed. I was tired and just wanted to get home at that point, so I was sitting up, but had my head lowered. She calmly put her hand on my shoulder and asked if I was OK and was there anything I needed. Her warmth and concern for her passengers was very welcome, and you felt that is her true nature.

Now, three points:

1 ~ All the train employees but one was very nice, friendly, and professional. The one exception being the woman on #3 who was working in the snack bar the morning on 12/21. She basically had zero personality or expression, and her only verbalization was to tell us how much we owed for what we were buying. Not even a "Thank you for your money". However, considering the train was running hours late, I'm cutting her some slack because she may have been exhausted, or gawd knows what.

2 ~ Numb/sore butt syndrome. Next time I travel by train, I really need to bring along a pillow to sit on. I thought my butt was naturally well padded. Not so! "They" do make special cushions for wheelchairs which give some comfort to those who must sit for long hours. I did get up and walk about a little. I found the stairs quite a challenge for me, almost falling at times. I’m glad I'd reserved 'lower level seating'. Once on #4 an employee stopped in the lower level to ask if there was anyone who wanted something from the lounge, cafe car...and that he would retrieve it for us. One elderly lady do get something, for which she paid.

3 ~ Union Station LAX is a zoo. (I've seen photos of it online, empty of people. How did they get those shots?) Going west the conductor suggested I transfer at Fullerton for the south bound Surfliner, which I did. But, on my return, I took the Surfliner into LAX, and it was packed with all kinds of folks. From street people, to someone soliciting money by handing you a car saying they're handicapped and asking for a donation of cash, to screaming kids, and some just weird folks. I don't know the distance from where I got off the train from SAN to where I boarded the train to ABQ, but it must be in the range of 600 miles. (slight exaggeration) Fortunately I took the advice from some folks here and used a Red Cap to take me to the lobby, and later to the #4.

Lastly (?) I met some really nice people (passengers and crew) and had a great time in San Diego. But, yes, it's good to be home. Any question?

Yes...you in the back wearing the propeller beanie?

You may be kidding on the cushion but believe me they help a lot. After one long delay flight out of Vegas I was more than numb, more like in pain. I picked up one of those cushions at a yard sale for a couple bucks after that.

You may be kidding on the cushion but believe me they help a lot. After one long delay flight out of Vegas I was more than numb, more like in pain. I picked up one of those cushions at a yard sale for a couple bucks after that.
I'm not kidding.

Was Canon Pass neat to see in the daytime? Although driven many times, I'd literally kill for the opportunity to go through it during daylight on the train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back