abq-buf

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

velvetmask

We are hoping to take a trip from Albuquerque to Buffalo in the Spring and have a few questions. First, there are lengthy lay overs in Chicago, esp. on the way back - 6 hours. Is there a way to rent a locker or have your bags locked up so that you can be free to leave the station and wander around a little?

Second, we would arrive in Buffalo very early in the am. Is there taxi service or car rental at that station?

Any other advise regarding this trip would be much appreciated.

Velvetmask,

Yes there are lockers that one can rent to store your bags, while in Chicago. The lockers take coins, bills, and credit cards.

That said however, consider two things. One, you can check your large bags with Amtrak at ABQ thru to BUF for free. That way you won't have to carry them from the Chief to the Lake Shore Limited, or pay to store them in a locker.

Second, if you are traveling either leg of your trip in a sleeper, then you are entitled to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. The Lounge provides a place for you to store your bags for free, while you wander about the station and/or Chicago. You might wish to consider tipping the redcap a buck, but that's still much cheaper than a locker and it's not a requirement.

As for your arrival into Buffalo, there are usually taxis available when the train arrives. I had a friend take a taxi from the station to downtown two years ago. Rental cars are supposed to be on call at that station, but I'm not sure if they are actually "on-call" at that hour. Additionally, Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority provides bus service from the station to downtown. More info on the bus can be found here on their website.

Finally, you might want to check out these hints & tips from On Track On Line.

Alan, thanks so much for your response! Actually, we are not comfortable checking our bags in as much of what we need to carry is medical equipment my husband will need access to throughout the trip. We ARE getting sleepers the whole way so glad to hear about the lounge! Is the lounge secure? Can bags be locked up?

We will be traveling to Grand Island from the Buf/Dep train station, so we will probably take a taxi. The person we are staying with has a vehicle we can use, glad to hear there will be cabs "ready and waiting".

velvetmask said:
Alan, thanks so much for your response! Actually, we are not comfortable checking our bags in as much of what we need to carry is medical equipment my husband will need access to throughout the trip.
Ok, in that case definately do not check anything that you would need during the trip, as you will not have access to it. You can still check a suitcase full of clothing, if needed though. But definately don't check anything medical. In a dire emergency the conductor might be able to find your bag, but don't take the chance.

velvetmask said:
We ARE getting sleepers the whole way so glad to hear about the lounge! Is the lounge secure? Can bags be locked up?  
Yes, there is a luggage room in the lounge that is guarded by a redcap. He'll take whatever bags you give him and give you a claim check to retrieve the bags prior to your departure. As for the lounge, one can only gain admitance to it by showing your tickets to the attendant. They will then give you a day pass to use when you return after you wander about town. Here's a blurb that I wrote a while back describing the lounge.

Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak.   As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounge in Chicago.  These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station.  They have nice plush chairs, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms.  They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.
In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge".  It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level.  If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left.  When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left.  There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months.  Again, just show your tickets and relax. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.
Depending on your husbands medical condition, you may want to have a redcap actually meet the arriving train with a cart to carry your luggage. He/she would then take you right to the lounge to store your bags. Prior to the departure of the Lake Shore Limited, they'll make an announcement for anyone needing redcap service and again would they would take you and your bags to the train.

velvetmask said:
We will be traveling to Grand Island from the Buf/Dep train station, so we will probably take a taxi. The person we are staying with has a vehicle we can use, glad to hear there will be cabs "ready and waiting".
If there isn't one waiting, I believe that there is a phone that links directly to the local service, so that you can call for a cab with ease.

Alan, thanks so much for the info! It's most helpful. You mentioned the lounge has bathrooms, are there showers available? We are only getting the roomettes on the trains.

Guest said:
Alan, thanks so much for the info! It's most helpful. You mentioned the lounge has bathrooms, are there showers available? We are only getting the roomettes on the trains.
No, no showers in the lounge. However, you will still have access to a shower in the sleeping car. There is a public shower on the lower level of the sleeping car from ABQ to Chicago and there is a public shower at the end of the sleeping car from Chicago to Buffalo.

You can view the layout of the cars to see where the shower is, along with your room by clicking here. From ALB to Chicago you'll be in a Superliner car, from Chicago to BUF, you'll be in a Viewliner.

Words of caution: Showering at 79 MPH is an interesting experience. Try to keep one hand on the grab handle at all times. Also keep your feet spread apart and up against the wall for better stability whenever possible.

I personally try to aim for when I know we're coming into a service stop or crew change, as those stops allow for steady showering. Some people do like to get off and stretch their legs and grab a magnum, but that's up to you.

battalion51 said:
I personally try to aim for when I know we're coming into a service stop or crew change, as those stops allow for steady showering. Some people do like to get off and stretch their legs and grab a magnum, but that's up to you.
Be careful at service stops, however. Sometimes they shut the water off at service stops (when they need to water the train).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back