About Amtrak's GG1s.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello there can somebody please give me some information on the GG1s please because I don't know this kind of Power.

GG1s were old Pennsy Electric engines. they ran on the NEC and were painted black in amtrak service.

TheG's built in 1934 ran NYC to Washington DC at speeds over 100 miles per hour. There Hoursepower was in excess of 6000. Having 12 motors on there 6 axels,

GG-1 said:
TheG's built in 1934 ran NYC to Washington DC at speeds over 100 miles per hour. There Hoursepower was in excess of 6000. Having 12 motors on there 6 axels,
I always kind of liked the GG1. I think I rode behind one on the Broadway Limited back in 1977. I was about 10 years old, and I am assuming this based on what I read about Amtrak operations at the time.

There's so much to say. They were THE electric power in the NY-WAS corridor with the Pennsy since the 30's Penn Central brought them up to New Haven when it absorbed that road putting most of the Jets to rest. Amtrak used them between New Haven, New York and Was until their demise. They were a brute of a loco. Beautiful streamlined body. In addition to black, amtrak did try a red blue and silver circus like scheme that never took off. Near the end of their lives a few were painted back in their Pennsy pinstripes. One is on display in Harrisburg PA. You missed a remarkable loco. It pulled like a mad man and rarely failed. Didn't like fine snow in the end. Nothing like it around today although Amtraks current electrics are very reliable. Dental wiz

While I was in Wilmington, DE last year, our tour guide told us a story about the GG-1. Along the NEC side of Wilmington yard is a spot where one locomotive can sit. The GM of the facility at the time always had a GG-1 on display there, as it was the best running engine ever. Well since the GG-1's were retired, there has been no locomotive sitting in that spot. Why? Because there has been no locomotive built as well as the GG-1. The AEM-7's are close according to the General Manager, but they are not as good as the GG-1.

I am 99.999 percent certain that GG-1's were painted in traditional Pennsylvania R.R. tuscan red in pre-Amtrak service. If PRR is readng this, I am sure he can clarify.

For sure, they were well loved and well resepcted and were true speedsters. They have a reputation second to none, as has already been stated. And painted black, under Amtrak, maybe so, but I seem to remember somethiing about freight engines being painted black, but I really think originally they were tuscan red.

One used to be on display at the Baltimroe R.R. musuem, which got damaged last year as we all remember.

Bill,

They were indeed painted in PRR red, I've seen pictures of them and they looked great like that. :)

Thanks, Alan. And remember also, they were often hauling trains 18 to 19 cars long or so, and all with one unit. There are many photos of them with tremendously long Broadway Limiteds, Silver Meteors and other such trains headed to far away places, as well as the shorter distance N.E. corrider trains. They have to be one of the single most admired pieces of equipment for all time.

AlanB said:
Bill,
They were indeed painted in PRR red, I've seen pictures of them and they looked great like that. :)
I actually liked the GG-1' s best in PRR Brunswick Green, though traditionally (later years) it was used to designate what were Freight Locomotives generally, while Tuscan Red was the color of the Passenger Ones. At least thats my understanding.

Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
Bill,
They were indeed painted in PRR red, I've seen pictures of them and they looked great like that.   :)
I actually liked the GG-1' s best in PRR Brunswick Green, though traditionally (later years) it was used to designate what were Freight Locomotives generally, while Tuscan Red was the color of the Passenger Ones. At least thats my understanding.
Viewliner,

You are correct. :)

Ah - let us not forget to mention that the PRR GG1s were also the principal power for the East-West fleet of passengers trains. They pulled their consists from NY Penn to Harrisburg, where they handed the cars off to steam and latter diesel engines. Another passenger service not mentioned in the previous posts is (was) the joint PRR/CNJ service to South Amboy, NJ.

These motors were also key in 1950's and 1960's freight operations from the New York area over the Trenton Cut-Off and the Low Grade line into Enola Yard (Harrisburg). They also pulled many a freight train along the Susquehanna River between Perryville, MD and Enola Yard.

Didn't the GG-1's first get painted black when the Pennsylvania merged with the New York Central becomiong the Penn Central? I seem to remember seeing pictures of GG-1's with Penn Central titles and I believe they were black.

tp49 said:
Didn't the GG-1's first get painted black when the Pennsylvania merged with the New York Central becomiong the Penn Central? I seem to remember seeing pictures of GG-1's with Penn Central titles and I believe they were black.
That sounds correct Tp, I remember seeing pictures like that. I also remember seeing photos of NJDOT GG1's in black.

AlanB said:
I actually liked the GG-1' s best in PRR Brunswick Green, though traditionally (later years) it was used to designate what were Freight Locomotives generally, while Tuscan Red was the color of the Passenger Ones.

Another difference was the freight motor's had a different gear allowing 90 mph while the Tuscan passenger running at 100+, I think the record was 120 mph over 50 years before the Acella.

What killed the G was axel wear and the "PCB'S" in the transformers. What I don't understand is why arent the Acella's faster or that with today's technology we didn't build GG2's

Well I saw something on the History Channel about High Speed Rail a few weeks ago. One of the things that sets Acela apart from other High Speed Rail Systems is that Acela has two power cars, one on each end. Meanwhile other systems have distributed power throughout the train allowing them to reach higher speeds in a much shorter period of time, and faster speeds as well. Also other countries don't have nearly as tight scrutiny for their passenger trains as the FRA does. But then again there has never been a castrophe on the Japnese Rail System, and they travel much faster than any Acela.

The thing about that is that these have regular inspections (about daily), in both France and Japan. They also have dedicated right of ways (mostly). The TGV has one set of trucks only between each cars. Even without the NEC's deferred maintence we still have the problem of other trains on the route.

The ICE in germany used to have two power cars, back when it was the ICE-1. Then the ICE-2 came along which only had one power car and cab control car, which was a mistake because the train is limited to a lower speed when it's in push mode, over concerns that it could derail if the wind is strong enough.

And now we've reached the ICE-3, which acts as an electric multiple unit with powered axles on the passenger cars. That seems to be the way it's going.

Some GG1s have been preserved at various of locations -- The most spruced up one I think is at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay Wisconsin.

A GG1 side-by-side with BigBoy steamer in a climate-controlled building. This museum is definitely worth checking out!

A pic: Pic of GG1 and BigBoy

Well this GG1s was the powerful and I not a GG1 fan becuase I was not born when the GG1s was in service.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Well this GG1s was the powerful and I not a GG1 fan becuase I was not born when the GG1s was in service.
I think you just answered your orginal post question? :blink: :lol: :unsure:

Hello there can somebody please give me some information on the GG1s please because I don't know this kind of Power.

Amtrak Railfan said:
You can still "like" an engine without having ever ridden behind (or in) it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back