A very long day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
My friend killed herself in July and I have been in deep mourning. Since my cat is still battling congestive heart failure, I can't get away for long so my husband planned a day trip so that I could go have some peace and quiet and get away from all reminders and begin to process my broken heartedness.

It began Friday when my husband said he couldn't go since he had to go to a memorial so it gained another layer as I ventured forth in travel by myself with my disability. I was blessed to have so many kind people help me.

My husband drove me to San Jose to the airport and I took the 6:40 Southwest flight down to Los Angeles. I had some difficulty with my backpack - which was a necessity since I don't have any free hands - but a sweet lady at one of the shops adjusted them for me! I was able to preboard and actually had a seat open in the center.

I arranged for a wheelchair in Los Angeles and was glad I did. Our flight landed at 7:38 and with the help of my sweet lady, was easily able to catch the Flyaway bus to Union Station. A bit of wandering around and asking questions and a daring rescue ;) by a redcap got me from Metro end of Union Station to the elevator for the Metropolitan Lounge. He came to fetch me to board the Starlight and miracle of miracles, I actually had a left side roomette.

I spent more time than expected in the parlour car - getting to eat both lunch and dinner as well as the wine tasting - as well as showing two newbies (who have been converted to foamers) my pictures from my trans-Canada trip.... but I was also able to spend time reflecting - and napping in my roomette - and had a transformational experience at the railfan window....

The Coast Starlight brought me back home - safe and sound- at around 7:50 p.m.

As usual, a link to some pictures.... nothing special.... but such a beautiful and restoring day on the rails.... we keep talking about getting a new computer and Adobe Photoshop and I have asked Santa for a new Canon Rebel.... but my poor little camera captures moments that I enjoy....

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjhJzi9

Sorry about your loss, some of us have had this sad expierence too!

So glad you got to make such a wonderful trip!

As Dylan says: "..it can cure the soul,make it whole.."

Hope y'all get some Rain soon, along with the other poor folks suffering in the West and NW!

We went through this the last few years here till thecrains came this spring,( including the fires and even quakes from the fracking!) but not as bad as folks out your way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadden indeed I am to learn of you troubles.... and I hope your travels brought you some comfort and solace.

Your pictures of both sky and sea are a beautiful tribute to one you have lost

BRAVA

May your further journeys be free of loss and troubles ...

Cheers

So sorry about your friend and cat, bravo to husband though, and to you for making the trip. Enjoyed your photos and they reminded me of meeting you in SAC for Gathering last year.

But you left us hanging! Do tell about the "daring rescue" and also the "transformational experience"! Please?

Thanks to all..... it's been a brutal process.....

The daring rescue was a lovely redcap who saw that I was exhausted and delivered me to the elevator. He said "You've done all the walking you're going to do today." He was a sweetheart and I was so grateful to a) not be totally confused and b) rescued from the heat and humidity....

The rail fan window made me realize that I am living my life looking backwards... constantly trying to re-do the last day that I saw my friend - the day before she killed herself. I was crying when I realized that by turning my back to the past and moving toward the future, I was leaving my friend behind.... but that I can't go back.. like I couldn't make the train go back for a more perfect picture.... the rail recedes as quickly as the past.... and so I turned and walked back towards the Parlour Car and dinner and a future without my friend.... but a future nonetheless.....with tears and laughter and love and more loss and more train travels ;) ....

and Jim.... hope we get rain and relief from the heat and humidity.... upper 80's may not seem warm but we have no air conditioning and normally enjoy our natural air conditioning.... everything is parched.....

Julie, as everyone who has met you knows, you are an amazing person. That was brave of you to take that trip alone, but it seems it was a healing experience.

I'm sorry I wasn't there to offer a ride on the walker (inside joke, folks). Glad the red cap was there to help you out.

Outstanding! This would make an excellent short story!

All us that have had to face similar experiences in our life have also had to realize that what you say in your lovely post is what makes it possible for life to go on, and to once again smile,laugh and experience joy!

Thank you!

Love my train family..... you are all so wonderful.... I was crying again at work today, feeling very forlorn and now I don't feel so alone... Big hugs.....

and I was sorry not to have you give me a ride... but didn't miss the "running" for the train ;)

I'm very sad to be missing the Gathering...but my husband plotted another quick overnight for me on that coincidentally will be that week-end....

Flight to Portland and catching the Coast Starlight down.... with all the medicines and inhaler for my cat twice a day, will only miss the one evening dose....but will think of you guys enjoying each other's company...and will participate in thought, if not in deed.

The rail fan window made me realize that I am living my life looking backwards... constantly trying to re-do the last day that I saw my friend - the day before she killed herself. I was crying when I realized that by turning my back to the past and moving toward the future, I was leaving my friend behind.... but that I can't go back.. like I couldn't make the train go back for a more perfect picture.... the rail recedes as quickly as the past.... and so I turned and walked back towards the Parlour Car and dinner and a future without my friend.... but a future nonetheless.....with tears and laughter and love and more loss and more train travels ;) ....
This is beautiful.

You guys are my strength..... thank you so very, very much.... your words touch my heart and comfort me...

Thanks for listening and riding along with me.... I am still walking one step forward at a time and trying to plan a longer winter trip in February.... perhaps Builder to the CS? Too hard to plan anything right now...

Hugs to all.

I rode the Builder to the CS. I scheduled two nights in Seattle to break it up. It was a wonderful trip, but I missed 95% of Glacier National Park and about 50% of the Cascades because it was early March and the days were shorter. So keep that in mind.

Some day, I'd like to reverse it and take the CS north from LA (so I can see the coastline) and then the EB east from Seattle.

Sarah, Ohanks for the reminder about the shortness of days - especially up north! Our very first long distance trip was San Jose to Seattle in October for my big 50 celebration and then catching the Builder to Chicago... we liked it but had to fly home, thereby ruining a perfect vacation ;) .... I am a snow junkie(pure-bred Michigander) trapped in California and think that the winter landscape might suit my heart and soul..... but then again, I tried the Zephyr in December and there was no snow and it was warm in Chicago. I would like to do the Canadian but with my husband's teaching schedule and my not being able to take vacation in January or most of February it won't fit in to the schedule, I don't think.... and with an El Nino year, who the heck knows what the weather is going to bring? I've read one of the fun side effects of grief is problems with focus and I just can't even think straight... wish I could have someone think for me :) so I guess I'll have to look back at winter trip reports.

I'd probably miss the snow if I didn't live here. ;) Honestly, I like it around Christmas, but then it needs to go away. (Where in Michigan did you live?)

I think it would be nice to take the EB when there's lots of snow on the ground, in either direction, really, but you do miss a lot of scenery during the westbound trip.

The most snow that I have Consistently seen on LD Routes in this Country are on the Zephyr and the Statlight.

Zephyr: between Denver and Grand Junction and Reno and Roseville.

Starlight: between Dunsmir and Klamnath Falls and through the Cascades on the way to Eugene. ( seeing Mt. Shasta covered in Snow is a great way to wake up!)

The biggest problem with seeing Snow while riding through the Rockies on the Canadian in the Winter is the Cloudy/Foggy Days and the Small amount of Sunlight during the Short days!

You see lots of Snow crossing the Praries in Saskatchewan and Manitoba!( miles and miles of miles, sort of Nebraska North, except twice as far!)

Back