A short intro

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
I've already made a couple posts but saw this intro slot and thought I'd say a few words. You've probably figured, I'm Bob in Albuquerque.

Thus the name "bobnabq".

I'll be 65 in July. Born, and raised in rural PA where I grew up on a small farm. Went to junior high in Punxsutawney, PA....THE home of the groundhog. (Accept no substitutions)

Moved to New Kensington, PA at the beginning of 10th grade. "New Ken" is a city of about 20,000 people twenty miles up the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh. Back before Teflon pots and pans came out, ALCOA made aluminum pots and pans called "Kensington Ware" at a plant there. That plant, and 90% of the downtown are now closed and shuttered, as are many mill towns in that region.

Went into the army after high school. It wasn't the fun I thought it would be. Spent a few years after that as a long haired, bearded hippie.

Spent about 7 months hitch hiking (backpack, tent, etc) around Canada, from Toronto to Vancouver, sowing my wild oats and stopping here and there to work a week or two.

Standing alongside the road gave me a lot of time to think and sort things out.

I've lived/worked in PA, CT, CA, ME, FL, AR, and NE.

Had a couple marriages along the way. Got a nursing license and worked a lot of hospice cases.

Well, gone over the 'short intro'. 'nuff for now.

Welcome Bob,

I hope you will find friends here and will post often.

We are a friendly bunch.

I had a good friend in Plum Borough near New Kensington

and made many trips there. It is a nice area of the country.

I might add that I took my first train trip when I was in 3rd grade.

A group of students went on old coaches pulled by a steam engine as an excursion to "Horseshoe Curve".

42419728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already made a couple posts but saw this intro slot and thought I'd say a few words. You've probably figured, I'm Bob in Albuquerque.

Thus the name "bobnabq".

I'll be 65 in July. Born, and raised in rural PA where I grew up on a small farm. Went to junior high in Punxsutawney, PA....THE home of the groundhog. (Accept no substitutions)

Moved to New Kensington, PA at the beginning of 10th grade. "New Ken" is a city of about 20,000 people twenty miles up the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh. Back before Teflon pots and pans came out, ALCOA made aluminum pots and pans called "Kensington Ware" at a plant there. That plant, and 90% of the downtown are now closed and shuttered, as are many mill towns in that region.

Went into the army after high school. It wasn't the fun I thought it would be. Spent a few years after that as a long haired, bearded hippie.

Spent about 7 months hitch hiking (backpack, tent, etc) around Canada, from Toronto to Vancouver, sowing my wild oats and stopping here and there to work a week or two.

Standing alongside the road gave me a lot of time to think and sort things out.

I've lived/worked in PA, CT, CA, ME, FL, AR, and NE.

Had a couple marriages along the way. Got a nursing license and worked a lot of hospice cases.

Well, gone over the 'short intro'. 'nuff for now.
. I Hi Bob,

I'm a newbie here too. Not to riding AMTK. though. I chuckled in regards to your marriage comment. My ex is from ABQ I follow the Lobos during basketball season. Hope perhaps you can catch the SL and the Starlight and come to the gathering in SEA this fall. Cheers Mr Bill

Back