A quick 24 hour "Trip to Nowhere"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
On 12/9-10, I decided to take a short 24 hour “trip to nowhere” on Amtrak, so I went from KIN-WIL-PHL-BOS-KIN.

From KIN-WIL, I took #67. Although I had taken #67 (and #66) before, I had only taken it between BOS and KIN. This was my first experience with #67 overnight. Because it was later (10:46 PM) when I boarded, I did not get the full consist. But I did notice it was led by an HHP, had a baggage car (#67 and #66 are the only trains north of NYP on the NEC offering check baggage), a BC/café, and (I believe) 5 coaches. From what I saw, the load was under 20%.

My impressions of #67 were not too good – for an overnight trip! It used the normal (for NEC travel) Amfleet I coaches. These are not very conducive to seeping overnight. And the 1 hour stop at NYP (at 2 AM!) lets in much light into the coach! And at no time during the trip did they lower the lights. (TIP: bring eyeshades to help you sleep!)

I arrived in WIL at 5:18 AM. Due to a misunderstanding with my traveling partner, we missed the northbound Amtrak at 5:30 AM to PHL, so we had to wait for the numerous SEPTA trains :( to PHL. There was one at 6:03 AM, but the thing was the ticket window did not open until 6:00 AM :huh: – does that make sense? So, we did not leave WIL until 6:41 AM.

Upon arrival in PHL ~7:30 AM, we went to the Club Acela to wait until our departure at 1:32 PM. We could use the CA since we were traveling on the AE in First Class! This was my 1st visit to PHL. I have passed through PHL numerous times on the NEC, going south and west, but never have been inside the station.

I was not overly impressed with 30th Street Station. (OK, I was up most of the night.) And I was certainly not impressed with the CA at PHL! It is maybe 150-200 feet long – but only about 15-20 feet wide! To me, it seems like it was an afterthought. Even the food selection I thought was not up to par. (Not like the CA at WAS!) A good thing about the CA at PHL are the elevators right from the CA directly down to the platform!

About 1:25 PM, we were notified that AE #2164 would be arriving on time. So we were put on the elevator to the platform. #2164 arrived and we boarded the First Class car – which was on the back of the train. It was one that did not yet have the new seats!

This was my first time on an AE for a long distance. (I had previously taken an AE for a short distance.) My impression was that it did not seem to me to be as smooth a ride as I thought it would be. Perhaps it was the tracks between PHL and NYP, but I thought the ride on #67 on these same tracks a few hours earlier (I was awake at the time) seemed smoother. And that was on a regular Regional!

The load factor (at least in First) was near 100%!

One thing that impressed me was that I discovered that #2164 passed through KIN (station) at 142 MPH! :eek: One of the few 150 MPH stretches is within 1 mile north of the station!

Upon our arrival at BOS, we went to the CA to wait for our departure on #67 at 9:45 PM. I liked the CA at BOS. It is more open and (to me) inviting then the CA at PHL.

Of the Club Acelas and Metropolitan Lounges that I have been to so far, I would rate them this way:

1. WAS

2. BOS

3. CHI

4. PDX (or NYP)

5. NYP (or PDX) – it’s been many years since I’ve been to NYP

6. PHL

About 9:30 PM. We were allowed to board #67 – before the masses. We were led right to the train from the CA! The only thing is they didn’t say which car to board. We sat in the last car, and only after we were under way were we told that the only door to open at KIN was 5 cars up! Normally, this would not be a problem, except for the fact that my traveling companion used a walker. So we had to move use (and the walker) up 5 cars on a moving train! Luckily, another passenger was kind enough to help us move! Again, the load was under 20%.

We arrived back in KIN at 10:46 PM – exactly 24 hours after we left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back