A question about boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
First off, as I'm getting close to this CS trip next week, thanks to all of you for your advice and answers to my questions. I have one more to throw out there. When my kids and I are getting ready to board at LAUS, what should I expect to happen? Do they let families with kids board first like some airlines do? Are the long distance folks *we are going to PDX* put into a certain area of the train, like the rear coach cars *yes we are going coach*? Or, will this just be a free-for-all impression of the 100m sprint in the olympics down to the platform and see who get's there first?

I haven't boarded at LAUS before, but at en-route stops (like San Jose), there's an on-board person who gets off the train onto the platform (for coach at least). People usually line up in front of this employee.

This employee has a print-out of all the passengers boarding the train and they have already determined specific seat assignments. After checking the passengers' names, the employee tells the passengers their seating assignment. From there, the passengers board and orderly make their way to their seats.

After the train is underway, the on-board staff comes by and collects tickets. This would probably be an OK time to ask to change seats if you are somehow unsatisified with your seats.

Again this is for the two en-route stations I've boarded at to ride Coast Starlight. Perhaps someone with specific LAUS experience could help add more info.

If you're checking baggage, you should be getting to the station early (what is it -- at least 30 minutes before departure?). That seems like enough time to comfortably board the train (although I've never checked baggage on a train before), especially at an origin station.

Good luck and I hope you have fun with your trip.

First off, as I'm getting close to this CS trip next week, thanks to all of you for your advice and answers to my questions. I have one more to throw out there. When my kids and I are getting ready to board at LAUS, what should I expect to happen? Do they let families with kids board first like some airlines do? Are the long distance folks *we are going to PDX* put into a certain area of the train, like the rear coach cars *yes we are going coach*? Or, will this just be a free-for-all impression of the 100m sprint in the olympics down to the platform and see who get's there first?
On the CS, you will line up near the entrance to the tunnel leading to the tracks. About 15-20 minutes before departure, a station attendant will remove the rope barrier and lead the line toward the train.

Nobody gets special priority boarding, but neither is it the 100m olympic sprint. The line (in my experience) runs somewhat smoothly--maybe a couple people walking faster and sort of cutting, but nobody all-out running and clamoring to be the first on.

When you get up to the top of the ramp at the track, an attendant will look at your ticket and direct you to the appropriate car. They typically do sort people by destination, so all of the people heading to PDX will be directed to one particular car. It still pays to be in the front of the line, though, as you have a better chance of asking the coach attendant to be on a particular side of the train (you'll want to be on the left side to see the ocean).

Hope this helps--have fun on your trip!

Nobody gets special priority boarding, but neither is it the 100m olympic sprint. The line (in my experience) runs somewhat smoothly--maybe a couple people walking faster and sort of cutting, but nobody all-out running and clamoring to be the first on.
I think this goes back to our other discussion, that the type of people who take the train are different than those who need to fly.

Last time we boarded in LAUS we used a redcap with a cart to take us trainside with all our luggage, etc. The carts go before they let the passengers walk out and board. Might be worth the tip you would pay to use that service.

Last time we boarded in LAUS we used a redcap with a cart to take us trainside with all our luggage, etc. The carts go before they let the passengers walk out and board. Might be worth the tip you would pay to use that service.
Question that occurred to me after I boarded the CS in LAUS but I forgot to mention here--

There is no security or gate control or anything preventing you from wandering through the tunnel and up to the track before they release the line. I'm sure that if you got up next to the train an hour before departure, the station staff or car attendants would chew you out (I got chewed out in CLT because the station attendant opened the gate and we all went out to the platform before they were ready for us to board, and I was in the front of the line--the car attendant said, "What are you guys doing out here? You can't be out here! You can't board yet!"). But what would happen if you sort of hung out discreetly in the tunnel and then, when you noticed the horde of people coming down the tunnel, you just "conveniently" end up at the front of the line? There wouldn't really be anything stopping you (at least I don't think)!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you come into LAUS station, you'll need to go to the ticket booth if you're checking baggage(s). Then you'll go to another line in front of the tunnel. I'm not sure if it will give you the seat number or so. You might want to ask your station agent to ask if there's a priority boarding for the large families. I'm sure that there's redcap that will board the seniors, disabled, etc. before the general boardings.

Usually, the coach cars are located on the right side of tunnel while the sleeper is on the left, depending on the configuration of cars.

At the main-hall end of the tunnel, they have separate marked lines for Northbound Surfliner, Southbound Surfliner (but not separate Business Surfliner [grumble...cf. SAN]), LD Coach, and LD Sleeper. I haven't recently been there at CD boarding time, but I pass through every day at SWC late-ish boarding time. I think the theory is maybe that they board sleeper pax slightly earlier, but in practice people just seem to sit all over the place in the big banks of big chairs all around the tunnel throat, and then just kind of wander down when they hear the track assignment. IIRC LD trains operate from tracks 11 and 12. As others have suggested, you probably don't want to hang out on the platform itself egregiously early (not least because the track assignment may be different) (hypocritical of me, as I go and wait on the platform at 9 every day to wait for 785 :p ), but a good compromise, IMHO, would be to go hang out in the tunnel itself (i.e. the one perpendicular to the tracks, not the ramps up to the platforms) somewhere near the area between the ramps for 9/10 and 11/12. Then listen carefully, and when they make the track announcement, which can be heard in this area (though sometimes indistinctly), wait a respectable minute or so, then go up.

Anecdotally, I suppose they may assign seats in the 'official' waiting area: there's a podium there that has a display of timetables on top, and underneath, at the back, a supply of blank seatchecks.

At the main-hall end of the tunnel, they have separate marked lines for Northbound Surfliner, Southbound Surfliner (but not separate Business Surfliner [grumble...cf. SAN]), LD Coach, and LD Sleeper. I haven't recently been there at CD boarding time, but I pass through every day at SWC late-ish boarding time. I think the theory is maybe that they board sleeper pax slightly earlier, but in practice people just seem to sit all over the place in the big banks of big chairs all around the tunnel throat, and then just kind of wander down when they hear the track assignment. IIRC LD trains operate from tracks 11 and 12. As others have suggested, you probably don't want to hang out on the platform itself egregiously early (not least because the track assignment may be different) (hypocritical of me, as I go and wait on the platform at 9 every day to wait for 785 :p ), but a good compromise, IMHO, would be to go hang out in the tunnel itself (i.e. the one perpendicular to the tracks, not the ramps up to the platforms) somewhere near the area between the ramps for 9/10 and 11/12. Then listen carefully, and when they make the track announcement, which can be heard in this area (though sometimes indistinctly), wait a respectable minute or so, then go up.
Anecdotally, I suppose they may assign seats in the 'official' waiting area: there's a podium there that has a display of timetables on top, and underneath, at the back, a supply of blank seatchecks.
I plan on getting to LAUS on the Metrolink on the 730am arrival so I have plenty of time to deal with checking my bag and all that stuff. I do remember hearing the track announcement that you described last time I was there, but it was really hard to hear with all the other noise in that tunnel.

I was in the sleeper line (and so already had my compartment reserved), but as soon as our relatively-short sleeper line had passed, they opened the rope for the coach line. I don't recall anyone standing at the podium giving out seat assignments there, although it is possible they do other times (they did something similar in DEN)--the coach line pretty much followed our short sleeper line to the train.

Arrival at 7:30 am also includes plenty of time to wander over and enjoy a double-dipped Phillippe's french dip! :)

But what would happen if you sort of hung out discreetly in the tunnel and then, when you noticed the horde of people coming down the tunnel, you just "conveniently" end up at the front of the line? There wouldn't really be anything stopping you (at least I don't think)!
I do that all the time on the Surfliner, where they always have a line inside the station. There is no security barrier, so if you know the track you can just go on down the tunnel and up to the platform.

I started doing that after I missed the 6:05a train once because they didn't put the track number up on the board, nor make any announcement. Just left me and fifty other people standing there in the station going "What?" :angry:

Most of the time my train is on the same track every week. I just go down about 15min prior and look for the sign, which about 2/3 of the time is out, and the other time is against the wall. Then I just go up on to the platform and ask the first crew I see if it is the Southbound Surfliner or whatever. Also lets me get a window seat easier on full trains.

Last edited:
I am with MrFss on this, use the redcap.

There is no charge, just tip him and he will take care of you.

The first time we arrived at LAX, on the Surfliner, we got off the train and were

totally lost. I grabbed a passing conductor and he pointed us to the redcap.

He took us into the station, told us how to make dinner res. for the SWC and then

came back and took us to the train before the regular boarding.

We have been using them ever since.

Never get this service from an airline unless you are near death.

I am with MrFss on this, use the redcap.There is no charge, just tip him and he will take care of you.

The first time we arrived at LAX, on the Surfliner, we got off the train and were

He took us into the station, told us how to make dinner res. for the SWC and then

What is an appropriate tip for a redcap? buck or 2 a bag? I guess it would be a good idea with me, 2 kids and all our bags to have all the help we can get.

I am with MrFss on this, use the redcap.There is no charge, just tip him and he will take care of you.

What is an appropriate tip for a redcap? buck or 2 a bag? I guess it would be a good idea with me, 2 kids and all our bags to have all the help we can get.
Aloha

There are several ways to decide on the amout of tip.

1 how much would you want to Handle them?

2 How much other help did they provide?

3 2 to 5 dollars is the range

Aloha

There are several ways to decide on the amout of tip.

1 how much would you want to Handle them?

2 How much other help did they provide?

3 2 to 5 dollars is the range
Mahalo nui loa :)

I usually tip the red cap $5 and car attendants $20.

Unless they belong to the same lodge as me and then I use the secret rate table.

Like to keep it simple and not tax my brain with calculations of percentages or per bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back