A possible Amtrak trip for Me!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
I 'm an experienced Amtrak traveller but would like some to get some input on a few questions I have.

I have been on Amtraks' web sit checking out a couple of options we have to choose from.

The first one is:

1) My wife and I are thinking of going to Florida some time between Jan. 15 and the end of February for two weeks including travel time there and back.

We live about 2 hours from Buffalo/Niagara Falls in Canada. I would go from Buffalo on #280/#282/#284 and possibly stay overnight in NYC not wanting to take a chance with the first two trains being caught in a snow storm. (Any hints for a reasonable hotel near Penn Station for the night?) Then we would mostly likely catch #91 or depending on my wife's shopping interest catch #97.

The other possibility for a stopover in NYC would be to leave from Orlando on #98 and staying in NYC for the night not wanting to take a chance on connections and leave the following day for Buffalo.

2) The other option is to drive to Florida and take Auto Train back to Lorton, VA and drive home from there, saving us having to rent a car!!!

As we would be coming home against the flow would it be cheaper?

The sleeping car fares are quite high. Can we just book a coach fare and the car and does Amtrak sell unsold sleeping space on Auto Train once it has left the boarding station?

Thanks in advance for any help!! :) :D

If by some miracle there are rooms available on AT they would sell those at the station, the Conductors do not carry the materials to do upgrades. When you check in at Lorton/Sanford just ask the agent if rooms are available. If there are they'd go ahead and upgrade you, if not they probably will have a list for any opening that may come open and you'd be able to grab it at that point. I highly recommend Auto Train, I had a great experience on there, but you'd do just fine on standard Amtrak if that's the route you choose to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back