A one-stop leg with the Veterans Unit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Train2104

OBS Chief
No classes today, so I decided to book myself a $10 ticket on the Pennsylvanian from Greensburg to Pittsburgh, using Westmoreland Transit to get there in the first place.

Went to PGH to print my Amtrak ticket (rather not have the conductor scan my phone), then to catch the 2F bus. It took a while for me to find the proper stop, but once I did, there were some minor delays and the 2F and 1F came back to back. I was the only one to get on the 2F, there were around 15 people already on the bus. It seemed to be a very closely knit commuter crowd, a group of 6 or so was sitting in the first few rows having casual conversations with the driver. Comfortable new MCI bus, with a farebox that was nothing more than a clear box with a metal top and a slot. Turns out I deposited 50 cents more than I needed.

The bus proceeded to Greensburg and eventually on to Latrobe, not via Route 30 (which the more crowded 1F uses), but rather Old William Penn Highway and PA 66. A very scenic route, with small towns, some farms, and just a general atmosphere that I was not used to, being from the land of the LIRR. Took around 85min to Greensburg, losing about 10 more minutes en route to traffic. Quite a few commuters to the small towns along the route, around 4 got off at Greensburg, only a couple continued east. (the route doesn't serve Latrobe Amtrak, only the small airport that doubles as a park and ride)

Made my way over to the Greensburg Amtrak station from the bus station. The entrance is a bit deceiving, though it's signed as the Amtrak station it looked to me to be more like a restaurant. Clearly, it used to serve a much grander purpose, as it was really fancily designed. Despite not having an agent or a QuickTrak, an employee (not sure if of Amtrak) was stationed there. The station platforms are gated off (eastbound from the station, westbound from the tracks) until right before a train is due. The employee unlocked the doors and stood guard to make sure nobody trespassed until the train arrived. Does anyone know more about this setup? Are they volunteers? Several NS freight trains passed, including a train of trailers (not intermodal containers) just placed on trucks without flatcars. There is a lot of freight traffic here, I saw what I think was a 20min spacing between trains in the same direction!

Approximately 5 people were waiting for 43 to PGH, and around 6-7 more showed up within 2 minutes of the train's arrival, 15min late. I chuckled when I saw the numberplate reading 42 (P42 #42), completely forgetting that it was the Veteran's Unit until I saw it go past me. I've heard numerous reports of this unit being on 42/43...it seems to be assigned to the Pennsy. Went to the nearest conductor and got on, turns out I was in an Amfleet II. Having never been in Amtrak equipment save for the Amfleet I's on a trip up the Corridor, the legroom led me to thinking I was in a wheelchair spot at first! I realized then I was in the NYC/PHL car, based on overhearing someone else's phone call saying that they've been on this train since noon. One complaint: the car smelled like someone just shampooed the carpet. Also I didn't see at-seat power outlets, even though the car interior looked newly refurbished. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Didn't even remember to look at my phone's speedometer/GPS until 10-15min into the trip, when to my astonishment, we were already nearing Trafford and the Allegheny County border and doing 79! Before long, we were pulling into Penn Station (how it sounds strange!) arriving 20min early. My this train has a lot of padding...

I originally didn't consider the train home for school breaks, as it was over 2x the Greyhound fare. (Megabus is a no-no in most cases since it only allows a 2nd bag with a second fare, while Greyhound charges $15) Now I'm seriously considering it for practicality's sake, not just for railfanning's sake, especially if the bus trips for this upcoming winter are intolerable.

lwhs.jpg

Back