A month in North America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi...

This little post concludes my month long trip to Canada and America, I felt it might be of interest to write about the end of the trip, for those who read the earlier posts. Although a part of the whole trip, it does not contain any new train rides, and so moderators may feel free to delete it if they so wish...

Well, the trip is now over, and we are back in Nottingham… After our ride from Washington to Orlando, we did not set foot on a train again. This was due to a mix of reasons, involving both the cost of rail tickets, and also convenience of other options.

After relaxing in Orlando, we drove down to Miami, and flew to Las Vegas airport… one finds slot machines in the arrivals area there, in case one is so keen to start gambling!

Rooms are quite reasonable in Las Vegas, providing that it is used as a base to explore the area, which is what I did. Not even a quarter went into any slot machines!

I rented a car, and took in a circular tour towards Route 66, the Grand Canyon, Vermillion Hills, Jacobs Lake, and on up to Death Valley. I got fined for speeding by the sheriff, and got shouted at through a bull horn by a zealous park ranger for a minor offence, but no fine this second time!

We had intended to stay longer in America, but after a month, both my son and I felt we had done enough travelling, and so I booked our flights home. A one way car hire from Las Vegas to Los Angeles airport was the cheapest option, and it was a nice drive, being a Sunday, the traffic was light.

One amusing incident on arrival back at Heathrow, my son left his passport on the plane, and the immigration people wouldn’t let him back into the UK till they made some checks… It was all sorted in about 15 minutes. I thought it quite funny, but Aidan was not amused, I think he had visions of spending time in a detention centre!

What next? Well, there is a Cajun music event this Friday in Derby with real ale… after that… who knows?

Cheers,

Ed

:hi: Great Trip Eddie! Hope to see You Again in Seattle in October @ the Gathering! Will Your Son be Coming Back Across the Pond with You or is he Americaed Out?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that you had a successful trip!

Too bad I didn't know that you were in Washington, I could have shown you the town - hopefully you all had a good time here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back