A Modest Proposal

Discussion in 'Amtrak’s Future: Member Ideas and Discussion' started by Tokkyu40, Nov 7, 2014.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 18, 2019 #126

Philly Amtrak Fan

P

Philly Amtrak Fan

Conductor

If they couldn't run the train to Florida, they should've just canceled the train altogether. What's the point in running it down to Savannah? It's like running the Lake Shore Limited eastbound only to Albany, you've taken away the biggest selling point.

Of course to me there's never an "equipment shortage" as long as Byrd Crap is still running.

2. Aug 19, 2019 #127

TWA904

T

TWA904

Train Attendant

Of course you are right on Savannah instead of JAX. Guess my sometimers is kicking in. As far as the source of the numbers, I know some people think there numbers are suspect, but I believe it was from an issue of a newsletter called This week At Amtrak published by United Rail Passenger Association. As far a date I don't know that. I regret letting all that info get thrown away when I had to move.

jis likes this.
  3. Aug 28, 2019 #128

velotrain

velotrain

velotrain

Service Attendant

Personally, I like the train as a destination in itself.

I recently took VIA between Montreal and Toronto - in an uncomfortable seat in (the middle of) a bumpy car at a much higher speed than I enjoy. I suppose the only saving grace was that there didn't appear to be much to look at anyway. I gather the Canadian is a very nice train, but I'll use my money to ride at least twice the mileage on this side of the border instead - as a destination.

4. Sep 12, 2019 at 2:15 AM #129

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

Ever ridden the Palmetto? I have, and it generally runs pretty full. It provides daylight service along the A line in the Carolinas and Virginia. It's a nice alternative to I 95, which, to my surprise given the lack of large cities along its route, can get pretty jammed up.

If they extended the Palmetto to Jacksonville, it would get in really late. And then have leave really early the next morning to get to NYP at any kind of reasonable hour. If it was late, there might not be enough time to turn the train properly. Thus you'd need an extra trainset, requiring three sets for a train that does perfectly well now with two.

sttom, Bob Dylan and pennyk like this.
  5. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:36 PM #130

sttom

s

sttom

Service Attendant

Because not everything is about Florida. I could also ask what the point of the San Joaquin is since it doesn't run to Southern California or what the point of the Surfliner is since it doesn't run to Northern California or what the point of the Capitol Corridor is if it doesn't run between Monterey Bay and Reno is. From what I understand the Palmetto does well for itself. Most people that ride any form of transportation don't ride from end to end but are making mid route journeys.

jis likes this.
  6. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM #131

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Exactly.

Consider this. In order to extend it to JAX and run it reliably we will require one more consist, two more sets of T&E crew and possibly one more set of OBS crew. Will the additional revenue garnered by this extension be able to cover all that added cost?

Also what you get is horrible equipment utilization. If you are going to extend to JAX you might as well extend to Orlando, and then comes the cacophony about overnight train without Sleeper and on and on....

7. Sep 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM #132

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

Is the Palmetto not the truncated former Silver Palm, which used to run to Florida with sleepers, etc.? If it was cut back to save money, how have the economics changed in 2019? If it's not broke...

8. Sep 15, 2019 at 2:07 PM #133

Philly Amtrak Fan

P

Philly Amtrak Fan

Conductor

There's no direct train from Philly to Chicago via Pittsburgh, there's no direct train from Florida to Chicago, there's no direct train between Florida and Texas/New Orleans, there's no Amtrak service to Las Vegas, Nashville, Columbus Ohio. I would hardly say "it's not broke".

9. Sep 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM #134

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

And the Silver Palm really was an extended Palmetto which lasted a few years. Palmetto overall has existed much much longer than the Silver Palm did. Silver Palm went bye bye partly because there were not enough Sleepers left to equip it anymore, and Viewliner IIs situation got pretty tight too. As usual the question boiled down to - do we equip two trains to Florida well or three trains to Florida, each equipped inadequately.

jiml likes this.
  10. Sep 15, 2019 at 2:39 PM #135

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

I was simply referring to the Palmetto - not the system as a whole.