A Los Angeles Primer: Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
An essay celebrating the station while regretting what might have been.

Who could cross the country by rail today without dreaming of a distant, more glamorous, wholly lost, and perhaps even partially imaginary era of American train travel? Who, indeed, could set foot in Los Angeles' Union Station without doing the same? The building itself, built in 1939, is a palm-surrounded hybrid of Dutch Colonial Revival, Spanish Mission Colonial Revival, and Streamline Moderne, designed by John Parkinson, the English expat architect responsible also for City Hall, Bullock's Wilshire, and the Memorial Coliseum. As the last of the country's major railway terminals, it first made for a monument, and soon a memorial, to the heyday of passenger trains in the United States. Well-kept up even now, and seemingly always undergoing some type of restorative maintenance, Union Station at moments evokes the road not taken, one leading to, say, New York in an afternoon, rather than in 63 hours. ...
Just as the once-exhilarating promise of a long-distance train journey has become an occasion for preemptive despondency, so does Union Station feel at once grand and forlorn. Its original bold aesthetic vision, right down to its original weighty furniture, has survived, pulling through even its decades of near-desertion in the sixties, seventies, and eighties....

Some of the discomfort felt in Union Station has to do with the confused energy of a space that doesn't know who to play to. Its architecture, its respected place in history, and its well-regarded bar and restaurant say one thing; its actual function, since the demotion of rail to the second class at best, says another. ...

Los Angeles Union Station is busier now than it ever was during the hey-day of long distance train travel, so I don't understand the depressing aspects of this essay. LAUS has literally risen from the dead of 1971 to a multi-modal transportation center.

"demotion of rail to second class at best" excuse me???

Riding the Southwest Chief into LA is not THAT different than it ever was... I would hardly say the experience is "wholly lost."

LAUS was designed for about 10,000 passengers a day. Today, it gets about 70,000 a day. I'm not sure the author knows what he is talking about.

LA Union Station has really become a transportation hub for Los Angeles and the amount of trains and buses that serve the station each day is staggering.

I think John Parkinson would be proud to see how bustling the station is today (even if the vast majority of travelers aren't going long distances.)

LA Metro has done an amazing job improving the station (I'm so happy that there is now a Metropolitan Lounge and several places to eat inside the station). In the next few months they plan to repaint the exterior and replace all the signage in the station in time for Union Station's 75th anniversary. The agency is also actively looking for a local restauranteur to take over the old Harvey House.

In the next few years, Union Station will experience a further rebirth. Metro plans to build a new concourse, a new bus plaza and a new train shed (much like Denver's Union Station). That should also create more room for retail, dining, a hotel and business at the station... not bad for a building that's turning 75 years this year.

I'll be passing through LAX both north to south and south to north on the PS and because of posts like this I have changed my ticket to wait a couple hours in LAX to see this station and continue north on the CS. I'm really looking forward to seeing the art work and feeling the updated age

"demotion of rail to second class at best" excuse me???

Riding the Southwest Chief into LA is not THAT different than it ever was... I would hardly say the experience is "wholly lost."
I think what the author was trying to say is that the utilitarian commuter activity and the skeletal Amtrak network of LD trains is not as grand as its use for the great streamliners for which the station was built. Amtrak with it's paper 'china', bare bones on board staffing and leisurely schedules is a pale substitute for passenger rail travel in 1939. Are we glad we have a busy and restored station? Sure; but it's not the same as the days when it was the terminal for three sections of the all Pullman Super Chief with its glamorous clientele or the business man's nightly all Pullman Lark and many other fine trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back