A flaw of Amtrak web site or done by intent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyuri_ft

Service Attendant
Just tried it out. Well-known, Amtrak gives "AAA" discounts. As of reciprocity, same discounts should be given not just to "AAA" but also to all automobile club members (European, Middle Easter, South American, etc.) who have a card with the typical "Show Your Card!" blue-white-red and "FiA" globe-logo. The members holding these cards get free maps, towing, etc. AAA service because these cards are regarded to be equivalent to "AAA".

According the "Magyar Autóklub" leaflet, same benefits/discounts in USA for holders of Hungarian Automobile club Card as for "AAA" members. Amtrak web site does not want to know about it (the numbers issued overseas following of course a different scheme). Of course the agent I randomly called had no idea what I am talking about. He was not being able to switch to the customer service either.

Interesting to know, about other's experiences.

Just tried it out. Well-known, Amtrak gives "AAA" discounts. As of reciprocity, same discounts should be given not just to "AAA" but also to all automobile club members (European, Middle Easter, South American, etc.) who have a card with the typical "Show Your Card!" blue-white-red and "FiA" globe-logo. The members holding these cards get free maps, towing, etc. AAA service because these cards are regarded to be equivalent to "AAA".
According the "Magyar Autóklub" leaflet, same benefits/discounts in USA for holders of Hungarian Automobile club Card as for "AAA" members. Amtrak web site does not want to know about it (the numbers issued overseas following of course a different scheme). Of course the agent I randomly called had no idea what I am talking about. He was not being able to switch to the customer service either.

Interesting to know, about other's experiences.
All reservation centers have a "HELP" desk that will probably be able to answer your question (usually the agent will put you on hold and they will talk to the desk.) If you can't get an agent to pass you through ask for Customer Relations.

Do rental car companies and hotels in the US offer discounts to auto clubs from other countries as they do to AAA?

Do rental car companies and hotels in the US offer discounts to auto clubs from other countries as they do to AAA?
I can't speak to the US hotels, but Canadian hotels will accept either AAA or CAA the Canadian counterpart to AAA.

My experience with hotels and AAA is they will give you the discount if you indicate you are an AAA member but never require you to put your number in the internet reservation engine as you make the reservation. And, all the years I used that discount at hotels, they never asked to see my AAA card when I checked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back