A first!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
While performing my volunteer interpretive duties today at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, a taxi stopped at the Lava Flow parking lot and an Amish family from Indiana alighted. This was the first time in nearly four years here that visitors have arrived by taxi. I guessed right- yes, they had taken Amtrak to Flagstaff, and said it was very good!

That must've been one helluva an expensive taxi ride.
Yes, it probably cost them some bucks, but the Amish are known to be prosperous people. What they were doing was akin to cruise ship passengers arriving in a port and hiring a driver for the day to take them to various locations. They were probably going to at least one of our other two National Monuments in the area. Sunset is about eighteen miles from downtown Flagstaff. I don't think I have ever seen the Amish in Amtrak sleeping cars - but they travel by coach in considerable numbers. Two years ago I encountered two young Amish men from Indiana who were traveling the West by train and they were having a fabulous time. It is also common for them to be on the way to Tijuana, Mexico, for medical care.

We see many Amish & Mennonites when we travel from CLE. Many live near us in north central Ohio and are hauled by a van to the railroad station. They travel across the country on vacations, to visit relatives for weddings, funerals, etc and as was mentioned, to Mexico for medical care. Most do ride in coach but we have encountered younger couples who were in a roomette on the CL and CZ, and SWC. We even followed a group to the beach at Sarasota where they frolicked in the surf and had a great old time.

We enjoy our relationships with the Amish here in our hometown and wish people would be more tolerant of those who beliefs are different than their own.

Last month on the CS #11, an Amish (or?) couple occupied Room A of our 1130 Sleeper. Didn't really talk to them except to exchange greetings in the corridor.

I have seen Amish folk on the vast majority of the train trips I have taken. One of the best conversations I have had while traveling on Amtrak was with a young Amish man on the EB who was traveling from Lancaster, PA to visit friends in Oregon. He had never been to the Pacific Northwest and was grateful for the information I prvoided for him.

Whenever I visit my uncle in Illinois, a trip to the Amish colony near where he lives is a must-see. I never tire of seeing how these folks live and play in a manner unlike that of anyone else I know. But beware of the Amish buffet in the town that is in the center of the colony, Arthur, or the general store in the area, Beachy's!! All that good food at the buffet and in the store!!!

Whenever I visit my uncle in Illinois, a trip to the Amish colony near where he lives is a must-see. I never tire of seeing how these folks live and play in a manner unlike that of anyone else I know. But beware of the Amish buffet in the town that is in the center of the colony, Arthur, or the general store in the area, Beachy's!! All that good food at the buffet and in the store!!!
What town?

What town?
Arthur.

Looks like it's just SW of Champaign.

Found the buffet too. :)

http://www.yoderskitchen.net

Yes, it probably cost them some bucks, but the Amish are known to be prosperous people. What they were doing was akin to cruise ship passengers arriving in a port and hiring a driver for the day to take them to various locations. They were probably going to at least one of our other two National Monuments in the area. Sunset is about eighteen miles from downtown Flagstaff. I don't think I have ever seen the Amish in Amtrak sleeping cars - but they travel by coach in considerable numbers. Two years ago I encountered two young Amish men from Indiana who were traveling the West by train and they were having a fabulous time. It is also common for them to be on the way to Tijuana, Mexico, for medical care.
I've seen Amish in sleeping cars.

It's odd but it usually goes like this:

Most elder 2 from the family (usually grandpa and grandma or mother and father) gets a roomette and everyone else travels in coach, and they adjourn in the Lounge Car.

I've seen Amish in sleeping cars.

It's odd but it usually goes like this:

Most elder 2 from the family (usually grandpa and grandma or mother and father) gets a roomette and everyone else travels in coach, and they adjourn in the Lounge Car.

That is likely the case. I have found them great fun to talk to in the lounge car. They can be quite friendly but usually need to be spoken to first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back