A few more questions about the #97

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

densgirl

Train Attendant
Hi all I have a few more questions about my upcoming trip. I'm wondering what are good choices for food with the SDS. Are there any foods to definitely avoid?

I'm also wondering if I can plug in and use my own coffee pot in our sleeper compartment? I know it sounds crazy but I travel with my own coffe and coffee pot anyway and didn't know if it would be a big no no to plug it in. I'll have a surge protector that I use with my laptop.

Last question is I've got my assignments for my roomette from my tickets. With this information can I find out somewhere which side of the train we would be on? Just curious what the scenery will be like. For the 97 down my assignment is Car 9710, room #6 and for the trip home it's car 9211, room #1. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

I'm also wondering if I can plug in and use my own coffee pot in our sleeper compartment? I know it sounds crazy but I travel with my own coffe and coffee pot anyway and didn't know if it would be a big no no to plug it in. I'll have a surge protector that I use with my laptop.
You can probably get away with using your own pot, but I sure wouldn't advertise it. I also wouldn't use it at the same time that you are pulling power for your laptop, cell phone, or other electronic devices. Slight chance you could overload the circuits if you did.

Of course you can also get free coffee any time you like at the end of your sleeping car at the service station.

Last question is I've got my assignments for my roomette from my tickets. With this information can I find out somewhere which side of the train we would be on? Just curious what the scenery will be like. For the 97 down my assignment is Car 9710, room #6 and for the trip home it's car 9211, room #1. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
Now regarding the room assignments, let me first say that the sleeping car can be orientated to run in either direction. Typically, but not always, Amtrak will run the sleeper with the bedrooms closest to the engines. Assuming that you get a typical orientation, then going south on 97 you would find youself on the left side or east side of the train. You'll also be on the east side of the train coming back north, even though you'll be on the right side of the train this time.

But again, that assumes that the sleeper is running bedrooms first, which may or may not happen. You can view the layout of the sleeping car here on the Friends of Amtrak website. Your sleeping car will be a Viewliner sleeper both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all I have a few more questions about my upcoming trip. I'm wondering what are good choices for food with the SDS. Are there any foods to definitely avoid?
As for food, rule #1 is that everyone's tastes seem to vary. Rule #2 is that a good chef can make a positive difference, whereas a bad chef can make a negative difference.

That said, I found the Cod offered on Menu #1 to be rather weak. At first I just wondered if it was the chef, but later on in my trip on a different train with a different chef, I met someone else who had tried the cod and wasn't too thrilled with it.

On the other hand both the Catfish and the Salmon are usually quite good. As you've no doubt guessed, I'm kind of partial to fish, so I can't comment too much on the other dishes. I've also heard many people complain about the so called "fresh fruit" served with the Bob Evans scramble for breakfast, as well as for desert at dinner.

You can view the three menus that you might find on train from this page on Amtrak's website.

As for food, rule #1 is that everyone's tastes seem to vary. Rule #2 is that a good chef can make a positive difference, whereas a bad chef can make a negative difference.

That said, I found the Cod offered on Menu #1 to be rather weak. At first I just wondered if it was the chef, but later on in my trip on a different train with a different chef, I met someone else who had tried the cod and wasn't too thrilled with it.

On the other hand both the Catfish and the Salmon are usually quite good. As you've no doubt guessed, I'm kind of partial to fish, so I can't comment too much on the other dishes. I've also heard many people complain about the so called "fresh fruit" served with the Bob Evans scramble for breakfast, as well as for desert at dinner.

You can view the three menus that you might find on train from this page on Amtrak's website.
Thanks for both replies. All great information. I live just off Cape Cod so I'll skip the fish ;) We generally have a great supply year round here so no biggie. Good to know about the fruit as well. I certainly appreciate all your help.

Thanks for both replies. All great information. I live just off Cape Cod so I'll skip the fish ;) We generally have a great supply year round here so no biggie. Good to know about the fruit as well. I certainly appreciate all your help.
Sorry forgot to sign in before posting above :blush:

someone should set up a website where riders can rank each menu item (or at least the most common ones). that way, if an item improves (like the fruit), we can see the ranking increase in aggregate.

someone should set up a website where riders can rank each menu item (or at least the most common ones). that way, if an item improves (like the fruit), we can see the ranking increase in aggregate.
Dave I'd be happy to report back on the meals my brother and I have on our trip. We return on the 11th of November and I'll update then on how the quality was.

Okay, Alan I'll just skip having any of my coffee until we reach FL :D I wouldn't want to cause any issues with power at all on the train. I know they have coffee available I'm just a bit of a purist when it comes to my coffee and thought I had read of someone conisdering bringing a coffee pot. Thank you for your answer.

Okay, Alan I'll just skip having any of my coffee until we reach FL :D I wouldn't want to cause any issues with power at all on the train. I know they have coffee available I'm just a bit of a purist when it comes to my coffee and thought I had read of someone conisdering bringing a coffee pot. Thank you for your answer.
Unless you have some huge pot that draws lots of power you should be ok using it, just don't use the coffee pot while using other things in your room. Brew the cofffee, then turn on your laptop and such. If people can use hair dryers, electric tea pots, and things like that you should be ok with a small coffee pot as long as you're careful.

Avoid the Country Fried Steak, from what I heard it isn't good.
While I haven't tried it personally so I have no opinion, I heard several favorable comments during my big trip back in June about the Country Fried Steak. Granted it's not a NY Strip steak or Filet Mignon, but again most people that I heard talking seemed to enjoy the Country Fried Steak.

Hi Densgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's OK to use your coffeemaker without blowing up the train!!! The 120V outlets in each room are GFI outlets.

The 480V from the locomotive provides enough power for everything!!!!!

There are 2 outlets per room.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!

MJ B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now you have the absolute answer Densgirl, as Joe is one of the electricians that works on many of Amtrak's cars. If he thinks that it's safe to use the outlet for your coffee maker, then I'd say you're good to go. :)

Well now you have the absolute answer Densgirl, as Joe is one of the electricians that works on many of Amtrak's cars. If he thinks that it's safe to use the outlet for your coffee maker, then I'd say you're good to go. :)
Well then I guess that I will be fully excited to greet the morning now with great coffee and a view of FL out the window. Thanks! B)

Hi Densgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's OK to use your coffeemaker without blowing up the train!!! The 120V outlets in each room are GFI outlets.

The 480V from the locomotive provides enough power for everything!!!!!

There are 2 outlets per room.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!

MJ B)
Thanks a bunch Joe! I'd thought I'd seen GFI plugs last trip but couldn't remember. We tend to use the power only for our laptop so I was unsure. The last thing I'd want to do is make the day harder for you or your associates by messing with the power :D We are such fans of train travel, thanks for the great info. Only 2 weeks now until we depart. Here's my brain- :wacko: Here's my brain on train- :wub: Any questions? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back