98(2/20/14) Delayed Jesup GA-CSX train strikes trespassers-Doctortown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can reply to Suzy's questions.

First, the track is not as straight as suggested. If you pull up a map of the area, you can lay a straightedge across your screen from the point where the track enters your view to the point where it exits. You will see that there is an almost imperceptible jog in the track at the point south of the bridge, where the double track merges into single track and the Rayonier spur comes in from the west. I wondered whether this was just some kind of anomaly in the GPS, but I have talked with railroad operating personnel who have told me that the curve is there. So the approach track is not perfectly straight. Keep that in mind.

The bridge has generally been called a trestle, but this is not quite right. One characteristic of a trestle is the lack of a support structure above the deck. The relevant portion of this bridge was evidently built as a drawbridge. A steel truss structure, made of girders in a sort of lattice configuration, surrounds the track. Keep that in mind.

This train carried intermodal freight. If the train was 100% intermodal, its speed limit was 70 mph. If there were any other types of freight cars in the consist, its speed limit was 60. Not knowing details of the consist, we can surmise that the speed was probably somewhere in the range of 55 to 70 mph. Keep that in mind.

The film crew placed a bed or mattress on the track as a prop. At least one source says it was a gurney as used in hospitals or ambulances. The bed was on the bridge, between the film crew and their only "safe" and practical escape route. Keep that in mind.

Here's my theory:

When the train crew approached the bridge and saw it from a distance, they probably could not see all the way through the truss structure because the slight curve put them at an angle to it. Shadows might have also affected their view. They blew their horn for the nearby grade crossing, probably beginning less than 1/2 mile (30 seconds at 60 mph) from the bridge. Their first clear view through the bridge was when they went through the curve, only a few hundred yards from the point of impact, probably less than 15 seconds from the bridge. They would have initiated an emergency brake application at this point, far too late to avoid the collision.

The film crew scrambled to get clear, but their equipment, the bed, and possibly the bridge itself impeded their movements. The rest, you know. It's possible that this scenario may be incorrect on one or two minor points, but I am convinced this is the most likely sequence of events. We'll see what comes out in the investigation.

Why they thought nobody would ever notice their little prank is anybody's guess.

The other trains mentioned were Amtrak 98(20), which means train 98, the Silver Meteor, from Miami to New York, originating on the 20th of the month. and 52(20), the Auto Train, train 52 from Sanford FL to Lorton VA, originating on the 20th of the month.
This helps a lot! I've only been to that location once, but the fence keeps you pretty far back from the bridge. I couldn't even see the bridge because of trees. I'm trying to map the accident. I'm assuming the train came from Waycross for a straight shot to Savannah. I see that at Rayoneir the tracks do bend northward slightly. Is this what you mean? And thanks for explaining the difference between trestle and bridge. I'm a rail sleuth, but I've got a lot to learn as far as actual rail terms. So they only had 30 seconds after hearing the horn? No visual, sound of an oncoming train, of vibrations on the track? Or could that have been confused with the sounds from the Rayoneir paper mill and mill pond?
Pretty close. Only, train from the south comes in from Jacksonville via the Folkston Funnel then at Jesup rather than Waycross, not that it makes a whole lot of difference...

Forrest Gump was a genius !

Stupid is as stupid does !

Trains can't stop very easily - I was brought up right near railroad tracks with 40-50 trains per day !

Never had an issue ! Don't know what I was more scared off , a train or Dad's belt if he caught us

playing on the tracks !

VentureForth: I understand the intermodal freight train was coming from Memphis to Savannah via Waycross. It joined the mainline at Jesup. It did not come up from Jacksonville/Folkston, unless my sources are incorrect

Big oops for me. You are all 100% correct. My brain was on Amtrak and the Silver Meteor that was inconvenienced rather than the train that hit the crew. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Grand jury returned indictments Wednesday in the death of assistant camera operator Sarah Jones on the set of "Midnight Rider". Announcement was made today that charges of involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass were filed against Director Randall Miller, and Producers Jody Savin and Jay Sedrich. My sources are news items in VARIETY and the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER.

In this day and age of CGI why would anyone go to the trouble to fim at such a location?

Let's see.......Lots of reasons: It's cheaper to do it wrong than right; .......It's quicker; ......less pesky paperwork; ......nobody's going to find out anyway;...... proper procedures are for wimps;......guerrilla filmmaking is macho;...... being a hotshot filmmaker means never having to say you're sorry;......your question indicates a serious lack of a sense of humor.

I'm still wondering whether they ever paid for the hospital bed, which was probably rented.

Resurrecting an old thread here...

Sarah Jone's Family is taking CSX to a Jury Trial. They say that two trains that passed through should have warned the train about the crew being near the tracks. CSX (imho, correctly) states that the previous trains were under no obligation to warn other trains.

Anyway, the Jone's have received much cash for the untimely loss of their daughter. It was a tragedy. At this point, they're really looking like gold diggers.

http://news.wabe.org/post/ga-trial-decide-if-railroad-shares-blame-film-crew-death

It would appear that their overly trusting daughter wasn't raised with a keen sense for danger or a strong will for self preservation. I was fine with them going after the director but I disagree with them going after CSX. Chances are their lawyers will find a way to appeal to the jury's emotional connection with their own clueless offspring and receive a big sappy payday based on emotional guilt rather than rational liability.

This is the kind of stuff that burns me up. They are trying to blame the train crews for their daughter's ill-fated decision to trust her director. I can't remember the last time i read about someone wandering on to an airport runway/tarmac or interstate, getting run over and suing. Yet, everyone that walks along a railroad track somehow thinks it is a good idea and their loved ones sue.

Unbelievable. :angry2:

According to the jury, CSX is 35% responsible for Sarah Jones' death. As such, they must fork over 3.9 million dollars. If was a member of the crew, I would turn the tables sue the estate of Ms. Jones for damages.

'Midnight Rider' Trial: Railroad Company to Pay $3.9M to Sarah Jones' Family

A railroad owner must pay $3.9 million to the family of a movie worker killed on a Georgia railroad trestle in 2014, a jury decided Monday in civil verdict that found the company shared in the blame for the deadly freight train collision even though the film crew was trespassing.

The parents of Sarah Jones sued CSX Transportation in Chatham County State Court, saying the railroad shared in the blame for their daughter's death. The 27-year-old camera assistant died in the crash on Feb. 20, 2014, during the first day of shooting Midnight Rider, an ill-fated movie about Gregg Allman of The Allman Brothers Band.

"This trial disclosed a number of exceptionally poor judgments and ignored opportunities by CSX Transportation to prevent this tragedy," Jones' parents, Richard and Elizabeth Jones of Columbia, South Carolina, said in a written statement.CSX plans to appeal the jury's decision, said Rob Doolittle, a spokesman.
Here's an ignored opportunity for Elizabeth Jones. Tell people to stay the hell off the railroad tracks.

CSX isn't the only victim in this frivolous lawsuit. Railfans and train spotters will now encounter even more adversity in an already hostile relationship. It's not our fault this woman wasn't raised with enough street smarts to look after herself and avoid being hit by a freaking train. If I were the engineer or conductor I would absolutely consider suing her irrational guilt tripping estate for emotional pain and suffering caused by her lack of foresight and lax attitude toward personal safety.

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 12.40.18 PM.png

Sarah Jones apparently had 0% responsibility in keeping herself alive according to this jury.

CSX isn't the only victim in this frivolous lawsuit. Railfans and train spotters will now encounter even more adversity in an already hostile relationship. It's not our fault this woman wasn't raised with enough street smarts to look after herself and avoid being hit by a freaking train. If I were the engineer or conductor I would absolutely consider suing her irrational guilt tripping estate for emotional pain and suffering caused by her lack of foresight and lax attitude toward personal safety.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 12.40.18 PM.png

Sarah Jones apparently had 0% responsibility in keeping herself alive according to this jury.
The problem is that in some states, assigning any responsibility to the victim will void out an award (comparative versus contributory negligence). File it under "the law is an ass", and strange things like this are responsible for more than a few hyperbolic filings or unusual results.

I'm mystified by the information Devil's Advocate has posted. The jury found the victim AND the Studio not liable. This is astounding when you consider a quote from the article Chamilton listed above:

As the day wore on, director Randall Miller moved the shoot from the land beside the river onto the narrow gridwork of the trestle itself, which extends over the edge of the Altamaha. The trestle’s wood and metal bottom was covered with pebbles and had gaping holes in some places. The blustery wind rang through the girders, making it hard to stay steady, says Gilliard.

From shore, several dozen yards away, a voice shouted to the crew that in the event a train appeared, everyone would have 60 seconds to clear the tracks. “Everybody on the crew was tripping over that,” says Gilliard. “A minute? Are you serious?” By now, she and two other crewmembers were nervous enough that before shooting, they gathered in an informal prayer circle. “Lord, please protect us on these tracks,” murmured Gilliard. “Surround us with your angels and help us, Lord.”

An instruction like that didn't raise a alarm?? Furthermore, when confronted with the train, it seems she hesitated:

While Gilliard prayed, Jones helped load film, monitor the cameras and transport gear. A fresh-faced South Carolinian with a passion for travel and books, Jones wasn’t really the type to fret much. The crew was filming a dream sequence, and they had placed a twin-size metal-framed bed and mattress in the middle of the tracks. Then, Gilliard looked up and saw a light in the distance, followed by the immense howl of a locomotive. It was a train — and it was hurtling toward them.

Two stories high, screaming with the sound of a blast horn and possibly brakes, the train was nearly as wide as the trestle. Gilliard says Miller yelled at everyone to run. Jones, several bags slung over each shoulder, shouted something about what to do with the expensive camera equipment. “Drop it!” Gilliard and others yelled. “Just drop it!”
I'm picturing this. You're on a narrow bridge and there is a train rapidly closing on your position. You've already been advised that you'd have a minute to clear and yet, you want to know what to do with the gear? If CSX is on the hook, there is no way the studio and victim are in the clear.

I expect CSX to play hardball with this.

I'm mystified by the information Devil's Advocate has posted. The jury found the victim AND the Studio not liable. This is astounding when you consider a quote from the article Chamilton listed above:

As the day wore on, director Randall Miller moved the shoot from the land beside the river onto the narrow gridwork of the trestle itself, which extends over the edge of the Altamaha. The trestle’s wood and metal bottom was covered with pebbles and had gaping holes in some places. The blustery wind rang through the girders, making it hard to stay steady, says Gilliard.

From shore, several dozen yards away, a voice shouted to the crew that in the event a train appeared, everyone would have 60 seconds to clear the tracks. “Everybody on the crew was tripping over that,” says Gilliard. “A minute? Are you serious?” By now, she and two other crewmembers were nervous enough that before shooting, they gathered in an informal prayer circle. “Lord, please protect us on these tracks,” murmured Gilliard. “Surround us with your angels and help us, Lord.”

An instruction like that didn't raise a alarm?? Furthermore, when confronted with the train, it seems she hesitated:

While Gilliard prayed, Jones helped load film, monitor the cameras and transport gear. A fresh-faced South Carolinian with a passion for travel and books, Jones wasn’t really the type to fret much. The crew was filming a dream sequence, and they had placed a twin-size metal-framed bed and mattress in the middle of the tracks. Then, Gilliard looked up and saw a light in the distance, followed by the immense howl of a locomotive. It was a train — and it was hurtling toward them.

Two stories high, screaming with the sound of a blast horn and possibly brakes, the train was nearly as wide as the trestle. Gilliard says Miller yelled at everyone to run. Jones, several bags slung over each shoulder, shouted something about what to do with the expensive camera equipment. “Drop it!” Gilliard and others yelled. “Just drop it!”
I'm picturing this. You're on a narrow bridge and there is a train rapidly closing on your position. You've already been advised that you'd have a minute to clear and yet, you want to know what to do with the gear? If CSX is on the hook, there is no way the studio and victim are in the clear.

I expect CSX to play hardball with this.
As I said, I can at least see them not finding the victim liable due to the issues with some negligence statutes. This may be a side-effect of the jury instructions. I'm surprised that they didn't hold the studio liable, however, for...oh, I dunno, ordering the crew to trespass on an active railroad. I'm also surprised that they did find CSX liable in any significant fashion considering that these guys were, you know, trespassing, but I'm also reminded of the Love Canal case (the chemical company told the city the land was contaminated but the city insisted on buying it for a school regardless).

(Also, am I the only one who noticed that the percentages don't add up to 100%?)

Back