9 days straight on Amtrak - Am I nuts?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
Just to share... Our (my brother and me) itinerary starting on a Saturday in October:

Saturday: CZ --> CHI to EMY - Superliner Roomette 4 (Overnight in EMY Monday night)

Tuesday: CS --> EMY to LAX - Superliner Coach (Overnight in LAX Tuesday night)

Wednesday: CS --> LAX to SEA - Superliner Roomette 5 (Overnight in SEA Thursday night)

Friday: EB --> SEA to CHI - Superliner Roomette 3

Sunday: LSL --> CHI to CLE - Viewliner Roomette 1 (Arrive early Monday morning)

We are using one of the new 15 day (Western Region) rail passes. We were going to start the trip on the LSL or CL from CLE to CHI and use a national pass, but the trains leave CLE at 2:45AM and 3:47AM. We just didn't want to start the trip dead tired. Anyway, we are (heaven forbid) flying one-way from CLE to CHI to start.

I know sunset is around 6:30PM in October, so we may miss some scenery that we would have seen if we took the trip now or in August. Unfortunately my work schedule won't allow for this. The nice thing about this itinerary is that we will see everything between LAX and SAC during the day on one of the first three legs of the trip (assuming nothing is REALLY late).

We took the CZ last July, but it was diverted between DEN and SLC, so we missed the most scenic part. Amtrak gave us a $500 voucher that we are using toward this itinerary.

This whole trip is just for the scenery and being on the train. I think I may be tired of it by day 9 though. I am really looking forward to it and am impatient for the next three months to pass!

(Yes, I know I misspelled "Straight" in the thread header)

Last edited by a moderator:
9 days - that short? :p I envy you!

No, you're not nuts - crazy, but not nuts! :p I've got a 15 day trip planned for October - broken up for a day or 2 :angry: by some get together in LA! :lol:

Even with the early sunset, you'll see the most scenic portions of the CZ (DEN-GJT and RNO-SAC) in daylight! :)

Just to share... Our (my brother and me) itinerary starting on a Saturday in October:
Saturday: CZ --> CHI to EMY - Superliner Roomette 4 (Overnight in EMY Monday night)

Wednesday: CS --> LAX to SEA - Superliner Roomette 5 (Overnight in SEA Thursday night)

We are using one of the new 15 day (Western Region) rail passes. We were going to start the trip on the LSL or CL from CLE to CHI and use a national pass, but the trains leave CLE at 2:45AM and 3:47AM. We just didn't want to start the trip dead tired. Anyway, we are (heaven forbid) flying one-way from CLE to CHI to start.

I know sunset is around 6:30PM in October, so we may miss some scenery that we would have seen if we took the trip now or in August. Unfortunately my work schedule won't allow for his. The nice thing about this itinerary is that we will see everything between LAX and SAC during the day on one of the first three legs of the trip (assuming nothing is REALLY late).

We took the CZ last July, but it was diverted between DEN and SLC, so we missed the most scenic part. Amtrak gave us a $500 voucher that we are using toward this itinerary.

This whole trip is just for the scenery and being on the train. I think I may be tired of it by day 9 though. I am really looking forward to it and am impatient for the next three months to pass!
:lol:

My 1st trip in Sept: SM-CL-EB-CS-CZ-CL-SM- :eek: ;) :unsure: :rolleyes: :blink: 11 DAYS :) I Love It!!!!

Nuts!!!! No way! Assuming my spending habits don't change, by Christmas of this year I'll have 20,000 AGR points---enough for a two-zone roommette trip. And what better Christmas present to give myself than the Slidell-Los Angeles ultimate 2-zone reward trip! 6 days and 5 nights on four different trains--the Crescent, Captol Limited, Empire Builder, and Coast Starlight. Merry Christmas!!!! :lol:

And enjoy your trip! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Traveler: I see that you have been on MANY trains. Which in your opinion is the most scenic?
"Scenic" is in the eye of the beholder, but I rate DEN-GSC (and maybe to GJT) as one of the most scenic stretches! There are many others - including some you wouldn't think of as very scenic. (Such as OSB-WLY on the NEC.)

We are taking the exact same trip from Cincinnati, late September, early October, only staying a few more nights in San Francisco and Seattle. In 70 days and counting. Can't wait. Spot

I know sunset is around 6:30PM in October, so we may miss some scenery that we would have seen if we took the trip now or in August. Unfortunately my work schedule won't allow for this. The nice thing about this itinerary is that we will see everything between LAX and SAC during the day on one of the first three legs of the trip (assuming nothing is REALLY late).

NO you are friggin hardcore!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as you have sleepers for most the trip, that's awesome. No spending a half-night in a sleazy downtown hotel. I think that's a great itinerary!

Seeing as you have sleepers for most the trip, that's awesome. No spending a half-night in a sleazy downtown hotel. I think that's a great itinerary!
Well, three nights in hotels, one possibly sleazy? (LAX), one nice (EMY), and one good based on comments from another thread. (SEA).

For the record:

EMY: Hilton Garden Inn -$160+tax - PRE PAY (they already have my money!)

LAX: Metro Plaza Hotel - $89+tax

SEA: Best Western Pioneer Square - $125+tax (AAA rate)

All are within walking distance of the stations.

I am considering a $116 ugrade to a roomette on the southbound CS (EMY - LAX) leg even though I won't need it for sleeping, just to have a place to ourselves and to get the free meals. I am undecided as of now, but may ask for an upgrade once I get onboard. I have taken coach on the NE Regional, Vermonter and Pennsylvanian, so I know what it is like to be in coach for up to 7 hours anyway.

One benefit of upgrading to a sleeper on the southbound CS is you'll get use of one of the historic Pacific Parlour Cars*, former Santa Fe Hi-Level dome cars with an interior that is [vaguely] reminiscent of the first-class lounges of yesteryear. You can also take your meals in this car, which has a smaller menu but one with a gourmet flair. Check out the link to my trip report in my signature below.

*Assuming the car has not been Loungestituted™, in which case it will most likely be replaced with a standard Sightseer Lounge car, which will not offer the special meals or elite ambiance but will at least be free of the riff-raff in coach...if you do wait until you're on-board to upgrade (which will result in the best fare, unless sleepers are currently selling for low bucket), make sure the train has a real PPC before upgrading. If it's got one, that can help you decide whether it's worth it.

If you were traveling with your wife on that trip it would more than likely end in divorce; traveling with your brother should be a great adventure.

I also totally agree with Jacka on the CS upgrade - the lounge car is awesome.

One benefit of upgrading to a sleeper on the southbound CS is you'll get use of one of the historic Pacific Parlour Cars*, former Santa Fe Hi-Level dome cars with an interior that is [vaguely] reminiscent of the first-class lounges of yesteryear. You can also take your meals in this car, which has a smaller menu but one with a gourmet flair. Check out the link to my trip report in my signature below.
OK, I am convinced. I read your CS experience and have decided to upgrade to a roomette for the southbound leg. I just hope they have a PPC that has not been Loungestituted™ on either (or both) of my CS legs.

Thanks for the detailed input!

I think the upper management at Amtrak should take more 9 day trips to get a feel for what we are always talking about. Enjoy your vacation!

I'm back and it was GREAT!!!!

Some random thoughts......

Service ranged from mediocre to excellent. No bad service experiences to relate. There were some lazy / curt dining car 'managers' (not the servers). All 5 of our sleeper attendants were good, especially Dallas on the EB.

California Zephyr:

The CZ was 4 hours late. 1 1/4 was because we killed a pick-up truck, not its driver fortunately. He only had a scratch. I think his wife's look when she arrived and saw the now V-shaped Ram Pickup was more painful. :angry:

Another hour of the CZ delay was due to us pulling three private cars (full of NARP members) into Denver. We had to drop the three cars, pull forward, then back onto another track, drop the Denver sleeper, pull forward, back, and reattach the private cars. Amtrak was SLOOOOOOOW at this.

The rest was bad track, bad signals, and freight traffic.

Coast Starlight:

I LOVE the PPCs. I spent 90% of the ride on both legs I took of the CS in this car. Very nice and a good change from the 'normal' Amtrak menu we had on the CZ and EB. If I had to eat another Flat-Iron steak, I might have been sick. :p Did I mention I like the PPC?

The crews on both legs were a lot of fun (2 different crews). They obviously enjoyed working this route. Not that the EB and CZ crews were bad, but the CS crews joked around with each other and generally made the experience much more enjoyable for the passengers.

Empire Builder:

On time the entire way! After being late on each train before, this was a welcome change. We got to Minot early, so we sat outside for 45 minutes on a beautiful evening.

Sleepers were sold out, but never felt crowded.

Lake Shore Limited:

Did not partake in the diner (besides a snack before leaving). Big difference in the amount of space / flexibility with the Viewliner roomettes versus the Superliners. Even though we were on the LSL for only 7 hours, the extra space was nice.

However, our roomette was DIRTY! The top of the rails, the luggage rack, the top of the mirror, and the sink were filthy.

All in all, the trip was great fun and I am still trying to take a shower without holding onto the walls. :huh: I think I am 'over' trains for now, or at least a few months. Then.... who knows!

I'm back and it was GREAT!!!!
Some random thoughts......

All in all, the trip was great fun and I am still trying to take a shower without holding onto the walls. :huh: I think I am 'over' trains for now, or at least a few months. Then.... who knows!
Aloha

I became infected with the love of trains at 6, 58 years later no cure in sight, Thank God. I wish you the same. :)

I returned Oct 13th from the same routing only spending a few more days in SF and SEA. We had toilet problems on the CZ where we just kept using them until they were almost full by EMY. Back on the EB the toilets went out in Montana and we were told to use the toilets in the next car. The Toilets Full Sign was on, but after being emptied in Minn, they still didn't work. Both trains had the tour group America By Rail, mostly seniors, mostly newbies. I think in both cases somebody tried to flush their Depends under ware. Thank god I had my peebottle. Spot

Next trip!

Dec 31-Jan 12

Tacoma to Seattle to Chicago

Chicago to San Antonio

San Antonio to LA

LA to Tacoma

Should be fun! All in a roomette.

Next trip after that is a bit more, in September 2009

Tacoma to New York Penn

New York Penn to Miami

Miami to Raleigh

Raleigh to New Orleans

New Orleans to Chicago

Chicago to Sacramento

Sacramento to Tacoma

*cross fingers that the Sunset will be back in business by then! haha it's worth a shot!**

welcome to the "Nut house"

just back from an 18 day trip (was only pranned to be 17 days) see traveloge "trip from H3ll"

Bob

ready to go again, not sure about #50 yet though

What is this about a new 15 day regional rail pass. Is it a variation of the old Rail Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back