9/30/13 CTA Blue Line Crash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, something had to happen before my trip. It runs in our family.

My parents went to the Canary Islands not long after the on ground plane crash.

My first LD trip was in Nov 2011 - after the fatal #5 accident.

These things never scare me off.

I pity the folks riding on the Card and Cap with you! Oh, wait a minute! :giggle:

I pity the folks riding on the Card and Cap with you! Oh, wait a minute! :giggle:
You mean, passengers on those trains BEFORE I'm scheduled to ride.

You're safe TDC.

You're safe TDC.
I'm not! :eek:

You're safe TDC.
LOL!!! :giggle:

You're safe TDC.
Isn't the Penthouse completely collision and derailment proof? :p

Well, something had to happen before my trip. It runs in our family. My parents went to the Canary Islands not long after the on ground plane crash.My first LD trip was in Nov 2011 - after the fatal #5 accident. These things never scare me off.
You mean, passengers on those trains BEFORE I'm scheduled to ride. You're safe TDC.
It is, but it's not "Betty-proof"! :giggle:

So what? :huh: You're still more likely to get into an accident driving to the train station!
Small comfort to the dozens of people who were injured.
Yeah, that response seems somewhat odd. It's a noteworthy event that folks here would be interested in knowing about and discussing.
Doubly so now that the story has been updated that the area has been treated as a crime scene and discussion of the possibility of the striking train being stolen from the yard...

Well, something had to happen before my trip. It runs in our family. My parents went to the Canary Islands not long after the on ground plane crash.My first LD trip was in Nov 2011 - after the fatal #5 accident. These things never scare me off.
You mean, passengers on those trains BEFORE I'm scheduled to ride. You're safe TDC.
It is, but it's not "Betty-proof"! :giggle:
:ph34r:

I think Jim has more to worry about than you Dave. You're only going to be on the CL a short distance....

So the traveler will now probably analyze the chances of being injured in a crash involving a stolen car :p and rejoice that it is less common on trains. But then feel bad that it is even less common in planes or some such. Very complicated this :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully we'll hear more from our Chicago Members about the "Stolen Train/Crime Scene" part of the Story! This has happened lots of times but usually the "Wanna Be" Engineer gets caught before he Wrecks the Train or Injuries anyone! :help:

So what? :huh: You're still more likely to get into an accident driving to the train station!
This is kind of a callous comment. I was on the Blue Line all weekend. What if I'd been on that train and gotten injured? What if one of our forum members was on that train and simply hasn't responded yet because they're resting? What if a guest sees this while searching for news online?

It looks like a four-car set of cars in the Harlem Avenue yard got loose and went through at least three safety devices designed to stop trains, headed out on the west bound main and hit a westbound revenue service train stopped at the Harlem Avenue station. Bunch of injuries but nothing serious. CTA officials at a loss at to how the whole thing happened. It doesn't look like some unauthorized person gain access to the train, opened the operators cabin door and started the train (both of which require separate keys). There were several trackside safety device as well as the "deadman's throttle" on the car which all failed. Two of the cars had been in yard for several days awaiting movement to the Skokie shops for repairs. It's quite a mystery.

I'm quite mystified by the early comments in this thread. Accidents happen, even on rail lines. All the yucks about the Penthouse Suite seem inappropriate.

What if a guest sees this while searching for news online?
They might well (and rightly) assume that AU is a clique of clowns that together with apparent leadership gets yuks out of accidents and other mishaps.

CTA: Video shows no one at controls of train before collision - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-two-cta-trains-crash-on-blue-line-in-forest-park-20130930,0,1375440.story

"Video shows no one at the controls of an out-of-service train as it barreled head-on into a Blue Line train stopped at a station in Forest Park this morning, injuring dozens of people, CTA officials said.

"The agency said it was still waiting to review other video along the line and at the Forest Park train yard, where two of the four cars had been awaiting repairs. But it was at a loss to explain how the train rolled out of the station and down the line to the Harlem Avenue stop, where it collided with a train headed toward the station shortly before 8 a.m.

"The train passed at least two switches that should have stopped it and was going about 20 mph when it hit the other train, crumpling the fronts of both and jolting passengers to the floor. The CTA said 33 people were taken to nine hospitals but there were no serious injuries.

"'We do have fail-safes in place, however they didn't function the way that they should have in this particular case,' said CTA spokesman Brian Steele."

Includes photos and links to video.

What I haven't been able to find is how the driver of the other train was able to escape injury. I'm not sure how close the drivers are to the front end itself, but those trains look pretty crumpled. Is he far back enough that the "crush zones" would have protected him?

(I don't know if they're called "crush zones" on trains; I'm thinking in car terms.)

When I first saw those images, before I read that people suffered minor injuries, I was prepared for a horror story similar to the Disney World monorail incident several years ago.

Back