#8(3) snow delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anir dendroica

OBS Chief
Empire Builder #8(3) is currently 7:32 late out of Detroit Lakes, MN. It is more or less keeping pace with a massive snowstorm stretching from eastern Montana to Chicago, and per reports on other boards it has been delayed by a number of frozen switches along the way.

#7(4) is 1:36 late in Minot.

Not too bad overall. I don't think the EB has seen any cancellations or 12+ hour delays this winter.

I fear this is only the beginning as all these major Winter Storms will again cause the flooding and Summer delays we experienced on many of the Western routes in 2011.

With the drought still going strong across the plains, I would think these snows bringing much-needed water. Rivers and soil moisture will be starting very low, so I would be surprised if there is much in the way of snowmelt flooding.

Going to need a lot more snow than this storm to restore ground water levels and build up enough of a snowpack in the Upper Midwest to create flooding on the Missouri, Mississippi, and Red Rivers.

The Chicago Tribune is hyping the 6 inches of snow in Chicago.

biggest storm since the Groundhog Day Blizzard canceled more than 1,000 flights, closed hundreds of schools and jammed the evening rush Tuesday.
No mention of Amtrak.

I checked train status and #3 and #5 departed Chi on time and #5 got to GBB a few minutes early and #3 2 minutes late. #4 arrived in Chi 29 minutes early #6 30 minutes early.

Amtrak really not doing too bad, considering the amount of snow. By comparison, between both Chicago airports, just about 600 flights cancelled inbound and 600 outbound, as of 6:30 Chicago time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back