#66 Boarding in New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I wondered what time 66 - the 240am NB overnight regional starts to board at NYP since it has almost an hour sit time there? Any suggestions on where to wait for departure, not too sure I want to spend two or so hours at Penn during that time of night.

The Bars in New York don't close till 4 AM and there are plenty around 8th Ave Clear to Times Square.

The Amtrak Waiting Area in Penn Station ( and the New Moynihan Trsin Hall which is closed @ this time of night)require an Amtrak Ticket, and there are plenty of New Yorks Finest around.

If there is an event going on in Madison Square Garden that night there will be plenty of people around till after Midnight, plus New Yorks Finest, so I wouldn't worry to much about this.

As for boarding, once the Train is unloaded, and the Crew Change takes place( you'd be surprised how many people ride this Train )Boarding will be announced.

Business Class( nice 2×1) is available and of course now there's a Viewliner Sleeper if you want to upgrade!

Actually NYP is unusual as you will see NYPD (subway as well as the area in general) , but you will also see Amtrak PD, and MTA PD (LIRR) During some of the "terror alerts" we also saw National Guard and a smattering of NYS Troopers.

Back