61 People Killed as 2 Trains Crash in East India

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
SAINTHIA, India (AP) - The powerful crash between two express trains at a station in eastern India early Monday morning killed 61 people and injured scores more. The force of the crash was so intense the roof of one car was thrust onto an overpass above the tracks.

Accidents are relatively common on India's sprawling rail network, which is one of the world's largest but lacks modern signaling and communication systems. Most crashes are blamed on poor maintenance and human error. It was the second major train crash in West Bengal state in two months. On May 28, a passenger train derailed and was hit by an cargo train, killing 145 people. Authorities blamed sabotage by Maoist rebels for that crash.

FULL STORY

SAINTHIA, India (AP) - The powerful crash between two express trains at a station in eastern India early Monday morning killed 61 people and injured scores more. The force of the crash was so intense the roof of one car was thrust onto an overpass above the tracks.

Accidents are relatively common on India's sprawling rail network, which is one of the world's largest but lacks modern signaling and communication systems. Most crashes are blamed on poor maintenance and human error. It was the second major train crash in West Bengal state in two months. On May 28, a passenger train derailed and was hit by an cargo train, killing 145 people. Authorities blamed sabotage by Maoist rebels for that crash.

FULL STORY
Wonder if jis has rideen these trains, I know he's had some really neat posts and pictures from India, of course it's unfortunate it happened, could happen, and does, anywhere! :eek:

Wonder if jis has rideen these trains, I know he's had some really neat posts and pictures from India, of course it's unfortunate it happened, could happen, and does, anywhere! :eek:
No, I have not been on any of those trains. As a matter of fact I have not been on the route - the Sahebganj Loop - beyond Bolpur/Shantiniketan in 30 years. I have been to Shanitniketan several times, which is a quick 3 hour or so run from Calcutta. Sainthia is the second major stop north of Shantiniketan on the way to Darjeeling/New Jalpaiguri across the Ganges over Farakka Barrage.

It looks like this was a case of SPAD, though there are some curious elements to it. Will post more when I learn something more definitive. Both trains involved were headed south. The train that rear ended was pulled by a Alco derived WDG5 class diesel which got demolished in the crash, both Engineers (or LP and LPA as they are referred to in India) perished, as did the Guard of the train that it crashed into.

Back