#6 Late into Chicago, Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boxcarsyix

Service Attendant
The Eastbound Zephyr is running 5 hrs+ down. Is it thunderstorms, flooding, or both.

I'm connecting to the Cardinal on 6/30 and I am getting concerned.

I just got off #6 in Mount Pleasant 4 hours late. It departed Grand Junction on time but lost 2 hours, plus the 1 hour tacked on to the schedule, between there and Denver. Track work overnight in Nebraska and between Ottumwa and Mount Pleasant accounted for most of the rest.

The conductor announced that those connecting to the Cardinal would transfer at Galesburg to a thruway bus and meet #50 in Indianapolis. #6 arrived in GBB at 4:27 pm in plenty of time to catch the bus scheduled to depart at 5:10 with a 11:25PM arrival in Indianapolis in plenty of time for the 11:59 train departure. So, no problem, unless you don't look forward to a 5+ hour bus ride.

I believe the bus is a common carrier, not an Amtrak captive. So I don't know what would happen if #6 doesn't make the 5:10 departure.

Thanks. I would rather stay on the zephyr, but the bus is better than missing the cardnial alltogether. The main reason for this trip is to ride a viewliner. Don't have much chance on the West coast.

If your mission is to ride a viewliner, and you want to avoid the bus ride, I would opt for the Lake Shore Ltd leaving Chicago at 9:30PM and arriving in New York at 6:30. Not as nice scenery as the Cardinal, but it is a Viewliner train and the Hudson River valley is a nice ride.

I agree with Bill, the Lake Shore isn't a bad ride, and with the later departure the stress and worry of making your connection in CHI is much less!

You could always take the Card ( 3 days a week) on your return back to CHI or even do a layover in CHI on your dime, then take the Card Eastbound which guarantees the best scenery in Daylight!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connecting in WAS to #66 to Providence. Cardinal and CL were the only trains offered. I could take the LSL io NYP an connect with #66 there but, as I said, it wasn't offered.

Connecting in WAS to #66 to Providence. Cardinal and CL were the only trains offered. I could take the LSL io NYP an connect with #66 there but, as I said, it wasn't offered.
Not sure how in to this idea you'd be, but you could also take the LSL to Boston, and just take the commuter rail to Providence (though that part would be on your dollar). 448 is scheduled in to Boston at 8:01pm, and there are departures to Providence at 8:15, 9:05, 10:25, and 11:59.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back