422 Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sorry, I am leaving from Los Angeles Union Station. The train leaves at 10 pm.

I sorry, I am leaving from Los Angeles Union Station. The train leaves at 10 pm.
First thing you'll want to do is store luggage ( in the Metro Lounge if in a Sleeper or with Luggage Check downstairs if in Coach), then cross the street in front of Union Station and turn right and head for Philippe, the Original on Alameda St.in the heart of China Town!

Order a Famous Dip Sandwich ( the Lamb is really good but they're all delicious/ you can get a single or double dip) and some Deli sides for a fantastic lunch!

Then check out the first sight of LA on Olvera Street right across the Street from Union Station. It's touristy, but there a couple of really neat old buildings you can walk through and some good Mexican food joints.( the Souvenirs are slocky faux Mexican junk made in China)

Then go back to Beautiful Union Station ( be sure and walk around it including the Gardens outside).

Buy a day pass for the Subway and hop the Red Line inside Union Station to Hollywood, get off and walk around Hollywierd Blvd. including seeing the Chinese Theater with the footprints of the Movie Stars, and check out the Stars on the sidewalk and a few famous sights but don't expect to see any actual Stars! LOL

You can then hop back on the Red Line ( before dark) back to Downtown, get off @ Pershing Square and check out the International Market, the beautiful old buildings mixed with the brand new ones ( downtown LA is Gentryfying fast).

I'd then head back to Union Station and go back to Olvera Street and have some Mexican Food.

If you are in a Sleeping Car you can wait in the upstairs Metro Lounge ( good snacks, clean restrooms, friendly staff and secure luggage storage) or if not,in the Beautiful Waiting Room with the great Leather Chairs and Spanish decor.(The Lugage Room downstairs charges $4 a bag to store your luggage if you're not in the Metro Lounge.)

If you're not familiar with Union Station you will want to get a Red Cap to take you to your Train on their cart ( tips appreciated) right to Train side.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing you'll want to do is store luggage ( in the Metro Lounge if in a Sleeper or with Luggage Check downstairs if in Coach), then cross the street in front of Union Station and turn right and head for Philippe, the Original on Alameda St.in the heart of China Town!

Order a Famous Dip Sandwich ( the Lamb is really good but they're all delicious/ you can get a single or double dip) and some Deli sides for a fantastic lunch!
I understand the LAPD has Officers patrolling Union Station randomly checking the breath of Amtrak passengers; if no evidence of Philippe is found, the quickly load you into a Patrol Car and take you over there to make sure you get a good meal in you before you leave :lol:

Bob D's advice is good, as usual. The near neighborhood is quite safe, I never got to Philippes the two times I've been there in the last two years, maybe next time?

I've done the day pass on the Metro, had good late lunch in Pasadena on the Gold, wandered around Olvera and Chinatown. Tried to see Long Beach on the Blue line, not such a good idea, slow, crowded.

The Metro Lounge is very peaceful, but I ate too many packaged snacks there :)

As most have stated, Philippes is always a good choice for lunch or dinner when waiting for the train's departure time. The area around LAUS is, for the most part, a safe area. With that said, drop off your luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge before going off exploring. As with any large city, crime is present. Just be mindful where you are and use common sense and you should do fine.

Wow, thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll be eating at Phillipe's for lunch and on Olvera street for dinner. I am thinking about taking the amtrak train to San Diego round trip so I can see the ocean along the way. I should be able to grab lunch at Phillipe's to go & hop on the train. Eat lunch on the train while enjoying the sea coast. Spend a few minutes in San Diego and hop on the return train to LA. Arrive in LA just in time to eat dinner in a Mexican restaurant on Olvera street. Thank you again, everyone, for all of your input. :D

Wow, thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll be eating at Phillipe's for lunch and on Olvera street for dinner. I am thinking about taking the amtrak train to San Diego round trip so I can see the ocean along the way. I should be able to grab lunch at Phillipe's to go & hop on the train. Eat lunch on the train while enjoying the sea coast. Spend a few minutes in San Diego and hop on the return train to LA. Arrive in LA just in time to eat dinner in a Mexican restaurant on Olvera street. Thank you again, everyone, for all of your input. :D
Highly recommend the Mexican place on the end of Olvera street and not the higher priced one in the middle of the street.

If you prefer Coca-Cola (I do!) bring along a six-pack and a small soft-sided cooler. Ice is usually available throughout the trip for sleeping car passengers.

Sometimes if the train is early...like fifteen minutes early...I have chanced making a banzai run into the station to check their soda machines. Most of the large stations do carry Coca-Cola and there is one enterprising young lady in Alpine, Texas who makes a habit of walking the platform with cold cans of soda for a dollar each. I have usually managed to score a soda and have never been left behind yet but, again, only if there is PLENTY of time before the train leaves. Don't even dare to walk thirty feet away if the timing is close!

Besides the soda lady in Alpine, there is the well-known "Burrito Lady" in El Paso which is an extended service and crew change stop for the Sunset Limited. She used to wait on the platform but as of my last trip has been exiled to next to the station building door. Check with your car attendant or the conductor to make sure that you have time for a burrito run. Consider buying an extra for your car attendant...it's almost as good as a cash tip!

Others have mentioned tipping. My own personal guidelines are:

• Sleeping car attendant: $10 per night for adequate service, which means bed made up and taken down at the proper times, bathrooms and public areas kept acceptably clean, bottled water and ice available when needed and coffee and juice in the morning, and being where I can find you if I need you.
  • Dining car waiter: Tip as you would for the same meal in a restaurant. I have never had meals in my room (although that service is available for sleeping car passengers who wish it) but if I did I would tip an appropriate room service amount when the meal was served.
  • Lounge car attendant: I normally don't tip for a simple, uncomplicated purchase but for something which requires some preparation or skill I tip as I would a bartender. ETA: I do not tip lounge car attendants whose downstairs restroom is "Out of Order." That's code for, "I don't want to have to clean it." Tip ZERO.
  • If in coach I normally do not tip the coach attendant unless he/she provides special services such as bringing meals to my seat or assisting with heavy luggage.
  • The train's operating crew (Conductor, Assistant Conductors, Engineers) which changes every 8-10 hours is never tipped.
As always, tip appropriately to the level of service...you want to encourage and recognize good help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you prefer Coca-Cola (I do!) bring along a six-pack and a small soft-sided cooler. Ice is usually available throughout the trip for sleeping car passengers.

Sometimes if the train is early...like fifteen minutes early...I have chanced making a banzai run into the station to check their soda machines. Most of the large stations do carry Coca-Cola and there is one enterprising young lady in Alpine, Texas who makes a habit of walking the platform with cold cans of soda for a dollar each. I have usually managed to score a soda and have never been left behind yet but, again, only if there is PLENTY of time before the train leaves. Don't even dare to walk thirty feet away if the timing is close!

Besides the soda lady in Alpine, there is the well-known "Burrito Lady" in El Paso which is an extended service and crew change stop for the Sunset Limited. She used to wait on the platform but as of my last trip has been exiled to next to the station building door. Check with your car attendant or the conductor to make sure that you have time for a burrito run. Consider buying an extra for your car attendant...it's almost as good as a cash tip!

Others have mentioned tipping. My own personal guidelines are:

• Sleeping car attendant: $10 per night for adequate service, which means bed made up and taken down at the proper times, bathrooms and public areas kept acceptably clean, bottled water and ice available when needed and coffee and juice in the morning, and being where I can find you if I need you.
  • Dining car waiter: Tip as you would for the same meal in a restaurant. I have never had meals in my room (although that service is available for sleeping car passengers who wish it) but if I did I would tip an appropriate room service amount when the meal was served.
  • Lounge car attendant: I normally don't tip for a simple, uncomplicated purchase but for something which requires some preparation or skill I tip as I would a bartender. ETA: I do not tip lounge car attendants whose downstairs restroom is "Out of Order." That's code for, "I don't want to have to clean it." Tip ZERO.
  • If in coach I normally do not tip the coach attendant unless he/she provides special services such as bringing meals to my seat or assisting with heavy luggage.
  • The train's operating crew (Conductor, Assistant Conductors, Engineers) which changes every 8-10 hours is never tipped.
As always, tip appropriately to the level of service...you want to encourage and recognize good help!
On the Texas Eagle, as I understand it, the crew changes at San Antonio on its way from Los Angeles to Chicago. When is the best time to tip the attendant who is getting off in San Antonio since it is in the middle of the night? My grandmother suggested I tip when getting off the train but that would be in Chicago. Your advice would be appreciated.

I understand that the best way to calculate the tip in the dining car is to do so as if you were tipping in a restaurant, based on what the bill would have been.

If the attendant brings a meal to the room do you tip on the spot or just add it to the final tip at the end of the attendants trip?

Don't forget the Red Caps and Station Personnel that go above and beyond such as helping you with luggage, a ride to/from the train on a cart etc.
Grandmother has advised me to tip $2 per bag when using a Red Cap while traveling. As I am traveling with carry on, would I just tip the same for a cart ride or is there some other measure to go by?

Once again your advice is most appreciated.

On the Texas Eagle, as I understand it, the crew changes at San Antonio on its way from Los Angeles to Chicago. When is the best time to tip the attendant who is getting off in San Antonio since it is in the middle of the night? My grandmother suggested I tip when getting off the train but that would be in Chicago. Your advice would be appreciated.

I understand that the best way to calculate the tip in the dining car is to do so as if you were tipping in a restaurant, based on what the bill would have been.

If the attendant brings a meal to the room do you tip on the spot or just add it to the final tip at the end of the attendants trip?

Grandmother has advised me to tip $2 per bag when using a Red Cap while traveling. As I am traveling with carry on, would I just tip the same for a cart ride or is there some other measure to go by?

Once again your advice is most appreciated.
A tip of $2 per bag for Red Cap service is appropriate. If you are riding the cart with your carry-on and no other luggage I would recommend $2-$3.

Calculating a tip based upon the menu price of your meal is one way to go, but some people prefer just a flat $3 for breakfast, $3 for lunch, and $5 for dinner. If your attendant brings a meal to your room or coach seat I would tip him/her as it is delivered and add on an additional dollar or so for "room service". Of course, that's entirely optional (as is all tipping on Amtrak...but it is customary, since the old days).

The appropriate time to tip your sleeping car attendant for the Los Angeles-San Antonio leg would be when he makes up your room for sleeping before you arrive in San Antonio. For your Texas Eagle attendant, tip upon arrival in Chicago.

The train attendant usually assigns you a seat in coach.

The attendants try to put people going to the same destination together. It makes it easier for them to make sure people get off the train when they are supposed to.

But that doesn't mean you can't slip into an unoccupied coach seat on the other side of the car to watch out the other side for a bit.

One of the places I like to watch scenery from is the 'rail fan' window in the door at the end of the train.

If the train has a coach car at the end of the train anyone can stand there and watch/photograph the view out the back of the train.

If a sleeper car is at the end of the train only sleeper passengers can watch the view out the back of the train since coach passengers aren't granted access to the sleeper cars.
Just another quick question for you folks. If I understand correctly, the train cars going from Los Angeles to Chicago are on the rear of the train and the sleeper car is the last one. Does this mean I should be able to go and look out the rear door though out the trip?

So I have another one of my endless questions for which I appreciate you tolerating and answering.

So the Texas Eagle leaves Los Angeles at 10 pm as I understand the schedule. My grandparents are not able to answer this question as they have never boarded a train so late at night. How early are the sleeping passengers allowed to board and are the beds already made when you get on board the train?

Thanks again for answering my questions and any insight you can provide is always appreciated.

Elishia

On my recent trips, there was no early boarding, so maybe a half-hour maximum before departure. The beds were made up.

When I normally ride and I always get on at least one leg in the middle of the night. The beds are always down and made ready to crawl into.

The grandparents are not able to answer this question and I am not able to find the answer online. When watching YouTube videos of Amtrak travel

I only see one electrical outlet in the roomette. Am I missing another outlet or is there one hidden electrical outlet in the roomette?

The grandparents are not able to answer this question and I am not able to find the answer online. When watching YouTube videos of Amtrak travel

I only see one electrical outlet in the roomette. Am I missing another outlet or is there one hidden electrical outlet in the roomette?
Yes, there is only one outlet. That is why everyone suggests taking an extension cord or power strip.

I always bring a surge protected 5-6 position multi-strip. It sits nicely on the arm of the chair by the window, sliding it back out of the way. Make sure the plug isn't 90 degrees since I have found a few older sleepers with the AC outlets recessed so a 90 would not plug in.

I always bring a surge protected 5-6 position multi-strip. It sits nicely on the arm of the chair by the window, sliding it back out of the way. Make sure the plug isn't 90 degrees since I have found a few older sleepers with the AC outlets recessed so a 90 would not plug in.
Yes, there is only one outlet. That is why everyone suggests taking an extension cord or power strip.
Thank you for answering my question, these are helpful tips!

E

Hello Friends,

I have a new question for you experienced Amtrak travelers. I am going to be in sleeper car 2230 room 2 on my trip in June. It was pointed out to me recently that the train's horn will be blaring all night long as it travels the tracks. Just how loud is the horn where I am going to be sleeping. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated as always.

E

In the summer like 2015, Amtrak put the sleep on the rear so the Coach 2215 and Sleeper 2230 both from LA were easier to switch from the SL. If the same holds for this June then your sleeper will be on the rear of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back