422 Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the summer like 2015, Amtrak put the sleep on the rear so the Coach 2215 and Sleeper 2230 both from LA were easier to switch from the SL. If the same holds for this June then your sleeper will be on the rear of the train.
I understand that the sleeper will be on the end of the train. I was wondering how loud the train's horn will be during the night when sleeping. The grandparents are half deaf as evidence by their hearing aids and can't tell me.

E

In the summer like 2015, Amtrak put the sleep on the rear so the Coach 2215 and Sleeper 2230 both from LA were easier to switch from the SL. If the same holds for this June then your sleeper will be on the rear of the train.
I understand that the sleeper will be on the end of the train. I was wondering how loud the train's horn will be during the night when sleeping. The grandparents are half deaf as evidence by their hearing aids and can't tell me.

E
I seriously doubt you'll hear the horn from the back of the train. The train is long.

The train's horn has never bothered me, even when the sleeper is up front. A friend uses noise canceling headphones sometimes to relax because she has bionic hearing (I think she can hear someone talking a mile away), but even she hasn't found the train horn to be a problem at night.

Thank you, everyone. I live about a mile from the railroad tracks and from time to time I can hear the train's horn in the middle of the night when the wind is blowing my direction. I am not a heavy sleeper though I am not a light sleeper. I am just curious what someone else's experience has been.

E

Hello Friends,

Again I have a question about my upcoming trip.

I am taking a flight into Burbank Airport landing @ 1100 and then the Pacific Surfliner @ 1130 into Los Angeles Union Station. I should arrive in Union Station @ 1210. I looked on Google Maps, but I am unable to find a grocery store or pharmacy within a couple of block of Union Station. Can anyone suggest a place where I can purchase some diet cokes for my trip on the Texas Eagle? The train doesn't leave until 10 pm so I should have plenty of time to shop, I just don't know where to go. Can someone in the know tell me where I can go, near the station, to get my diet coke fix?

Thanks again.

E

Can someone in the know tell me where I can go, near the station, to get my diet coke fix?
The closest place I can think of is a Chevron station a block north on Alameda St. that has a (small) convenience store.

There's a CVS inside the Los Angeles Mall, which is a subterranean shopping area off Los Angeles Street south of the 101 -- however, it's only open weekdays during normal business hours (7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.).

I am taking a flight into Burbank Airport landing @ 1100 and then the Pacific Surfliner @ 1130 into Los Angeles Union Station. I should arrive in Union Station @ 1210.
If you land at 1100, it isn't likely you'll make the 1127 Surfliner. After landing, there is taxiing, deboarding, the hike to baggage claim if applicable, and then riding the shuttle to trackside. I believe the next train to LAUS isn't until 4:27 pm.

If you land at 1100, it isn't likely you'll make the 1127 Surfliner. After landing, there is taxiing, deboarding, the hike to baggage claim if applicable, and then riding the shuttle to trackside.
At Bob Hope Airport, it might actually be doable, which is why I didn't say anything.

There's a Metrolink train at 3:10 P.M., although if that 11:30 A.M. Pacific Surfliner is missed, the best option to get to Union Station is probably the Burbank Bus (weekdays) or the on-demand shuttle service (weekends) to the North Hollywood subway station.

If you land at 1100, it isn't likely you'll make the 1127 Surfliner. After landing, there is taxiing, deboarding, the hike to baggage claim if applicable, and then riding the shuttle to trackside.
At Bob Hope Airport, it might actually be doable, which is why I didn't say anything.

There's a Metrolink train at 3:10 P.M., although if that 11:30 A.M. Pacific Surfliner is missed, the best option to get to Union Station is probably the Burbank Bus (weekdays) or the on-demand shuttle service (weekends) to the North Hollywood subway station.
My uncle has flown into Bob Hope Airport and says it takes him less than 10 minutes from stepping off the plane to being on the train station platform. I am 5 foot so my stride isn't as big as my uncles but I am willing to take the chance. Thanks for the alternatives as I was just going to wait for the next train if I missed the Surfliner.

E

My uncle has flown into Bob Hope Airport and says it takes him less than 10 minutes from stepping off the plane to being on the train station platform. I am 5 foot so my stride isn't as big as my uncles but I am willing to take the chance. Thanks for the alternatives as I was just going to wait for the next train if I missed the Surfliner.
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like if you miss the 11:30AM PS you'll be waiting until 4:22PM for the next one to LAX. If that's truly the case it could be a long wait in a rather dead area. What's your Plan B?

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but doesn't Metrolink also go between Burbank Airport and LAUS? :huh:
There's a big early-afternoon gap in the schedule, though -- as I noted above, after the Pacific Surfliner at 11:30 A.M., the next train from Bob Hope Airport station to L.A. Union Station is a Metrolink train at 3:10 P.M.

I am frustrated!

My sister finally decided to join me on my cross-country train trip and now the Amtrak website says the train is sold out! If the roomette will accommodate two people why can't I make a reservation for her to travel with me?

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

E

I am frustrated!

My sister finally decided to join me on my cross-country train trip and now the Amtrak website says the train is sold out! If the roomette will accommodate two people why can't I make a reservation for her to travel with me?

E
Have her buy an open-sleeper ticket which will be the cost of the lowest coach ticket. Then she can join you in your room.

I am frustrated!

E
Have her buy an open-sleeper ticket which will be the cost of the lowest coach ticket. Then she can join you in your room.
This option is not available on the Internet, so a call to Amtrak will be necessary.

My wife and I are talking about an Amtrak trip from OKC to Southern Cal next summer, so we'd be on the Texas Eagle from Ft Worth to LA. How is the ride during that stretch? Are there any really rough patches, similar to how the Auto Train gets majorly bumpy through the Carolinas (we just experienced that a couple of weeks ago)? Or are the tracks in good enough shape to where FTW-LAX is pretty smooth sailing?

Since UP has pretty much redone and double tracked between El Paso and LA,(ELP-LAX) the Sunset Ltd portion of the Route is fairly smooth riding all the way.

There are still some rough spots for the Texas Eagle on the UP Line between Temple and Austin due to heavy Rock and Freight Train traffic, and entering and exiting San Antonio (SAS) but there are slow orders for these blocks.

I haven't been on the Heartland Flyer for several years so can't comment on the tracks between OKC and Ft. Worth (FTW)

Now that the Eagles use the TRE Tracks between DAL and FTW, this eliminates the backing moves over switches and rough tracks into and out of the FTW Station @ the Infamous Tower 55 which has had the tracks completely redone right outside the FTW Station.

Since your Sleeper (the #421) from San Antonio (SAS) to LAX will be.switched on the back of Train #1 you will get some tail wagging the dog sway, but all things considered your trip should be smooth.

If you know you've missed the Amtrak train there is a super simple way to get to another Burbank light rail station and I've copied the instructions off the airport site for you. It's easy to take this route which runs about every hour if I recall correctly. The train you'd be getting on is called Metrolink and it's a commuter train service called the Antelope Valley Line and after a stop or two it ends at LA Union Station.

Airport to Station

Walk to shuttle island outside of airport terminal

Locate a SuperShuttle attendant and request a FREE shuttle to Downtown Burbank Metrolink Station

Ride shuttle to Downtown Burbank Metrolink Station

Please note:

This service is offered between 5:30 am and 10:00 pm

Immediate or after-hours service can be arranged at 818-558-3179.

The Bob Hope Airport shuttle also serves the Metro Red Line N Hollywood station. For more information visit metro.net.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago, and met a guy on the 421 Eagle, and he showed me a few Amtrak websites, but watch for the Lincoln Service's, they will fly by you at 110 MPH, where you are doing 79 MPH, and it almost violently rocks the train back and forth, and my ice water was all over the floor. Also the Mississippi river in the morning before STL is pretty cool. Texas is a HUGE state, and takes all day to get across it, but there are a lot of cool small towns that you will go through at 15 MPH, or 79MPH, but they are still pretty cool.

I called Amtrak and added my sister onto my reservation by purchasing a coach fare. Thanks for the advice!

E

I hope you purchased an open sleeper ticket and not just a coach ticket!

With a coach ticket, it is sold at the current bucket, she can not get into the sleepers and it does not include meals (she would have to pay for her meals). With an open sleeper ticket, it is sold at the lowest bucket, she can get into the sleepers and it includes the meals (she would not have to pay for them).

I hope you purchased an open sleeper ticket and not just a coach ticket!

With a coach ticket, it is sold at the current bucket, she can not get into the sleepers and it does not include meals (she would have to pay for her meals). With an open sleeper ticket, it is sold at the lowest bucket, she can get into the sleepers and it includes the meals (she would not have to pay for them).
I am frustrated!

E
I must have gotten an open sleeper for my sis. Both our etickets show the same sleeper roomette number. Thanks for the advice everyone. I would have hated to turn up and had to deal with that mess otherwise. Thanks again everyone!

E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back