#4 Three Hours Late Into Barstow From LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Lead Service Attendant
The Cheif was 3 hours late from LA on 19 August. Since Barstow is only the 4th stop from the Union Station, I'd love to know how that happened.

The Cheif was 3 hours late from LA on 19 August. Since Barstow is only the 4th stop from the Union Station, I'd love to know how that happened.
Whatever happened, it was prior to Riverside. Amtrak Status Maps for the start of #4(8/19) trip. Not the preferred way to start off a 2 day trip.

Code:
* Train 4 of 08/19/2014.
* THIS TRAIN EXPERIENCED A SERVICE DISRUPTION.
* Southwest Chief
* +---------------- Station code
* |    +----------- Schedule Arrival Day 
* |    |  +-------- Schedule Arrival time
* |    |  |     +----- Schedule Departure Day
* |    |  |     |  +-- Schedule Departure Time
* |    |  |     |  |     +------------- Actual Arrival Time
* |    |  |     |  |     |     +------- Actual Departure Time
* |    |  |     |  |     |     |     +- Comments
* V    V  V     V  V     V     V     V
* LAX  *  *     1  615P  *     635P  Departed:  20 minutes late.
* FUL  *  *     1  650P  *     759P  Departed:  1 hour and 9 minutes late.
* RIV  *  *     1  733P  *     1121P Departed:  3 hours and 48 minutes late.
* SNB  *  *     1  759P  *     1145P Departed:  3 hours and 46 minutes late.
* VRV  *  *     1  910P  *     1250A Departed:  3 hours and 40 minutes late.
* BAR  *  *     1  956P  *     132A  Departed:  3 hours and 36 minutes late.
* NDL  *  *     2  1223A *     453A  Departed:  4 hours and 30 minutes late.

Well, it lost it's first hour getting into Fullerton, then lost another 2 1/2 hours getting into Riverside. Dunno why...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. If I'm to use the Cheif as the preferred mode of commute to/from LA, with Barstow's very inconvenient hours, gonna have to be sure I can rely on safe transportation to/from the station. Being three hours late into the wee hours of the next day makes for a very short list of people I can count on.

....How do I find those status maps?

Well, it lost it's first hour getting into Fullerton, then lost another 2 1/2 hours getting into Riverside. Dunno why...
I heard they had to shift PV cars from the front to the rear of the consist and vice versa at each station in order to annoy the regular passengers.

(Not really)

Ok. If I'm to use the Cheif as the preferred mode of commute to/from LA, with Barstow's very inconvenient hours, gonna have to be sure I can rely on safe transportation to/from the station. Being three hours late into the wee hours of the next day makes for a very short list of people I can count on.
If you look at the Archives on Status Maps, you can check the on-time performance of earlier trips on the SWC. A check on #4 of a few days prior to the 8/19 departure from LAX shows the eastbound SWC was close to on-time for arriving/departing Barstow. Probably more reliable for LAX to BAR than it was in previous years before the completion of the Colton Flyover project and other on-going track improvement and crossing separation projects primarily aimed at speeding up freight traffic from the Port at Long Beach and making Metrolink more reliable.

Westbound from Barstow to LA has a lousy departure time at Barstow and is at the mercy of accumulated delays coming from CHI.

Most days the chief loses time traveling over Raton pass and the speed restricted track in western Kansas.

I can deal with the late trains from CHI...the departure time is 339 AM from an unmanned station with very few people around. So, as long as the #3 chugs in within the SAME morning (LOL), I'm fine. And it has done that with very few exceptions I'm aware of.

The #4 is a different story. Barstow is only the 4th stop east of LAX and is at 956 pm.. 10 at night is just barely doable. 1 AM, not really.

My concerns about this might go away. There IS a parking lot at the Harvey House with clear access to the tracks. What I'd forgotten was there are now more tenants at the Harvey House. I was told that people are leaving their cars while taking the #4 to points eastward because the lot isn't so vacant any more. Plus there have been security checks by both the railroad and the city police. (Barstow owns the property).

I heard they had to shift PV cars from the front to the rear of the consist and vice versa at each station in order to annoy the regular passengers.

(Not really)

LOL

Wouldn't you be better off driving down the hill to San Berdoo and catch the Metrolink? It runs trains to LA every 20-30min. and costs less than 1/2 what a ticket on the Chief goes for.

And I may do that once in a while. My goal is to not use the car more than I need to. But the nearest Metro I'm aware of is in Rancho Cucamonga.

And I may do that once in a while. My goal is to not use the car more than I need to. But the nearest Metro I'm aware of is in Rancho Cucamonga.
"Metro" is mostly LA city & county. Metrolink is Riv., SB, Orange & SD counties to LA!! Sample Metrolink fare is $13.50 one-way San Berdoo- LAX, that makes the Chief's Barstow - LAX one-way fare of $30.00 pale in comparison. Plus you have to realize it takes the Chief 2hrs. to get up the hill(SB-Bar). You can drive that in 30-45min. max. San Bernardino Metrolink/Amtrak station is southwest of the I-15/Mill St. exit. Check out metrolinktrains.com

? .... not what I see. However, since this isn't the non Amtrak area, I'll start a topic on that later....

Where do you think Barstow is?....30 - 45 minutes would take me to Victorville. ...
From San Bernardino to Victorville - 30-45 min.??? What are you driving???

If you arrive and depart LA without an excess of free time, by all means use Amtrak #3 . If you do not want to depart Barstow at 3:39am (maybe) and return at 10:00pm., there are alternatives. That is why I suggested Metrolink, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back